1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Maher and Sam Harris arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 4, 2014.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

show me the percentage of jews who believe this. Show me the Isreali laws that uphold this belief. In what part of the world is halakha actually practiced?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I had never actually heard of it before.

3. VanityHalfBlack

How can she rape?

4. what

what Member

Zero credibility meet Sam Harris. Oh, he hates the Muslim religion treatment of women, so let's rape women so we can guarantee our genes make it in the future.

Makes sense to me.

5. what

what Member

sadly it is a real quote.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The actual full quote is:

BETHANY: Norman Fisher, a Zen teacher, wrote this in a recent issue of The Sun: “It seems to
    me, there is a human need for religious expression and practice. For me, religion is not
    something that is imposed from the outside. It comes from within. A natural outgrowth of our
    human nature.” What you think about this idea of religion being a natural outgrowth of our
    human nature?

SAM HARRIS: Well, I think that is almost certainly true. But everything we’re doing is a
    natural outgrowth of human nature. Genocide is. Rape is. That’s not an argument for the
    normativity of any particular expression of human nature. And even if you had a detailed story
    about all of the essential purposes religion has served over the years, even if we admitted that for
    50,000 years, we just would not have survived, say, without believing in a creator God, that, in
    and of itself, does not suggest that it’s a good thing to believe in a creator God now, in the 21st
    century, with a world that has been shattered into separate moral communities on the basis of
    religious ideas. One example I occasionally use is the phenomenon of rape. There’s no question
    that rape is a natural propensity of primates. Not even just primates. And there’s no question
    that it has served an evolutionary function. I mean, you can easily tell a story as to why a species
    that occasionally practices rape is reproduced more than one that doesn’t. But that no one will
    even think of arguing that this makes rape an essential feature of a civil society, and therefore we
    should tolerate it.

BETHANY: How rape would rape be evolutionary benefit?

SAM HARRIS: Well, it’s just that you would think that men, over the eons, who have been
    aggressive enough to occasionally rape women, will have more successfully gotten their genes
    into the next generation. So, whatever genes that may underwrite rape, will have been selected
    for in that kind of environment. If you look at it among chimpanzees or orangutans, it’s a
    strategy for simply just getting your genes to survive. But it’s one of the more abhorrent
    practices in a civilized society. And we’re wise to do everything we can to prevent it.
    But I
    think that also central to [Norman Fisher’s] quote is this idea that religion is the receptacle, in
    some sense, of really good and ennobling and well-being-promoting features of our psychology.
    And I would agree with that. At least, religion has traditionally been the only area in which
    people talk about contemplative experience, and ethics. And I do think contemplative
    experience and ethics are absolutely essential to human happiness. I just think we have to now
    speak about them without endorsing any divisive mythology.

BETHANY: The rape analogy is pretty inflammatory. Is that intentional? Are you making an
    analogy between organized religion and rape?

SAM HARRIS: Well, I can even be more inflammatory than that. If I could wave a magic
    wand and get rid of rape, or get rid of religion, I would not hesitate to get rid of religion. That’s
    how bad I think religion is. I think more people are dying, and will die, as a result of our 2
    religious myths, than as a result of any other ideology that I can think of. I think it is the most
    dangerous thing we are doing. Not to say that it’s the only dangerous thing we’re doing. I
    would not say that all human conflict is born of religion, or religious differences. But the way in
    which the human community is necessarily fractured on the basis of religious doctrines, these
    doctrines that are just fundamentally incompatible, in an age where the most dangerous weapons
    are proliferating, and are bound to proliferate, is a very scary scenario. And I don’t think we’re
    serving ourselves in the developed world, and I don’t know we’re serving people elsewhere, to
    indulge this kind of political correctness, which suggests that really, our religions are
    fundamentally benign and not fundamentally divisive.

http://www.isthismychair.com/CompleteSamHarris.pdf

#66 AroundTheWorld, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think Sam Harris is kinda crazy because he believes in drugs as a religion replacement or something. But I respect that unlike other atheists he doesn't think it necessary to give equal time to all religions just because he finds their premise equally illogical. I agree with him that it is fine to point out the religions that are more problematic to society.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You should read the full quote. But I suspect it will fly right over your head, like pretty much...everything.

9. what

what Member

the second quote has nothing to do with this quote except to be, as sam harris put it, to be even MORE inflammatory towards religion.

this quote, in no way, clarifies his view of rape, which he believes is natural and a part of evolution. in fact he goes on to say that religion itself has made rape taboo, not the act of forcing yourself on a woman. Yeah, he's got a whole lot of credibity about women's issues, in my book.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I edited the post to add the actual full quote. As I said, I do not expect you to understand it.

11. what

what Member

I don't think you are helping your cause. Sam Harris obviously believes in this form of evolutionary practice, as he put it. He just doesn't think us less than free thinkers, as he is, can handle the truth.

He's a true moral compass that Sam Harris.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, seems that way. As I said, having read enough of your posts over the years, I didn't expect you to understand what he is saying anyway.

One can agree or disagree whether his choice of using that example to make his point is wise (I don't think so), but it is pretty obvious you would be intellectually incapable of even understanding it to a degree where you could address his argument.

13. what

what Member

he's saying rape is a good way to get your seeds to the next generation. First we rape women, then don't let them have an abortion. I LOVE that idea. Women don't have the right to choose anything in our darwinian culture.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I actually bolded it for you.

Maybe you should just stick to falsely predicting who will show to the world next that he is on Durant's level.

You have been embarrassing yourself for years on this BBS.

15. what

what Member

Can you bold where I think Sam Harris is a lunatic? He'd rather get rid of religion than rape. Maybe we ought to lock him in a maximum prison with Bubba and let him get raped in the butt, so he can have a (somewhat) of frame of reference, too bad we can't have a baby growing inside of him also, a b*stard child, so Bubba's genes can get to the next generation. Maybe we ought to force his daddy to do it, because incest, I am sure, is a biological fact of darwinism as well.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

False. The Koran doesn't mention stoning anywhere. It is mentioned in the Bible and Torah as an acceptable punishment. There are Christians who support the reinstatement of stoning. There are Yazidis who have done this recently as 2007. There are cased of Christians still being stoned for practicing witchcraft in Africa. And then here in the U.S. you have this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/11/scott-esk-stoning-gays_n_5486678.html

Point is, you are then admitting you selectively focus on Muslim countries and give a pass to other places where these crimes are also committed. That certainly sounds like the definition of bias to me.

Again, not being able to drive is only a few Islamic countries, not all. So is the hijab. It is modernizing in some places. Ironically, the places that it is modernizing happen to be the ones where there is a higher standard of living.

You are the one putting forth the case. It's up to you to provide the evidence, not ISIS.

No you are just being intellectually lazy.

17. Nook

Nook Member

"WHAT" again, looking like an outclassed child.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Salon just put out this op/ed against the sexism found among atheism's self proclaimed figureheads. Link inside the article to Harris's blog on why he's not a sexist is included for those interested...

Atheism’s shocking woman problem: What’s behind the misogyny of Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris?

There are many excellent feminist speakers and writers in the atheist movement, men and women who bring the same critical eye to sexism that they apply to religion. Most of them, however, are mostly known only within atheist circles. People like Dawkins, Shermer and Harris are the public face of atheism. And that public face is one that is defensively and irrationally sexist. It’s not only turning women away from atheism, it’s discrediting the idea that atheists are actually people who argue from a position of rationality. How can they be, when they cling to the ancient, irrational tradition of treating women like they aren’t quite as human as men?

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are grasping at straws. You are mentioning isolated incidents of some Yazidis in 2007 and a crazy Tea Party guy saying something, as if that means anything. There is a huge difference between that and the majority of Muslims in three countries with a combined population of 300 million supporting (and, in fact, doing it) stoning as an accepted method of capital punishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoning
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajm

Guess what all these countries have in common. Yep, Islam. Your desperate googling of isolated incidents of other individuals having supported the practice in 2007 doesn't measure up.

No, that certainly sounds like you being an idiot once again. Because of one lunatic Tea Party idiot and because of some Yazidis in 2007, you want to compare that to 12 Muslim countries (there are no non-Muslim countries where it is an accepted form of legal punishment). In Pakistan - where Islam is the state religion - people are in fact stoned all the time.

"Ironically", what are you trying to tell us? It's okay because it "is only a few countries"? Fact: Subjugation of women is worse in the Muslim world than anywhere else, on average.

It doesn't take much intellectual effort to school you. It never has.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Mmmaaattt Dammmmmooonnnn!