1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Maher and Sam Harris arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 4, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What's your native language? I assume it is not English?

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have never found him funny (he seemed to go political as a means to get more laughs but all of it has been terrible to me) and I find his political beliefs to be a bit juvenile. By that I mean that he comes to a position and then talks about it as if he has come to some awesome realization that most of the world has not. He was libertarian for a while. Then he was liberal. Now he is liberal but can see what other liberals cannot. He made a movie about religion that he touted as presenting ideas nobody else does but then I watched it and it was all basic stuff I had been exposed to by my late teens/early 20s. Basically I see him as perpetually 21 years old and generally people (especially men) are compete idiots at that age. Only he is, what, in his 50's?

I can mention a lot of things in the same sentence because I think issues are related even if not to the same extremes. You asked me for my opinion. When speaking on women, I think the Muslim world is generally abhorrent. I further think that Other nations in Asia, Africa, and Latin America are abhorrent or thereabouts. I think Western Europe and the US, as examples are not great but better than most. I am presenting a scale of unhappiness. In one sentence. Negatives are always my starting point as they always jump out first. It is how my brain works.

Parts of the Muslim world are also being really nasty with priceless historical material culture from opposing religions by destroying monuments, statues, documents, etc. Just so backwards and devastating for humanity.

I don't see a conflict in my views and don't find myself anti or pro Israel but I think I see what you are saying in a universal sense.

I think we reap what we sow and when rich, powerful nations try to directly or indirectly control or influence poorer, weaker nations it leads to instability and violence and breeds all sorts of nasty. It has happened everywhere to varying degrees throughout history. I see radical Islam as a product of a ridiculous number of factors and the only way to really combat is to change global politics and economics. But that will never happen. So all we can do is deal with what crops up reactionarily because that is how it works (or not, sometimes that is also how it works), hope to minimize fanaticism over the long run before it gets too bad and destroys too much, and wait for something new to take its place for better or worse. Yay humanity.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks for your perspective, and taking the time to write it down. Maybe I like Maher because I am a bit "perpetually 21 (or 16)" myself ;).

As to the last paragraph, the only thing I don't fully agree with is that you make it sound a bit like the main cause of this originates from "the rich, powerful nations" which "reap what we sow". I disagree with that. Decisions of the "rich, powerful nations" may have contributed to what we see now (like giving Saudi Arabia all that oil money), but the actual origin of the problem is the ideology itself that is being fought for by the Islamists, and that is Islam itself.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not the main cause, but a contributing factor. Look, any medieval or ancient ideology will be fraught with major problems for existing within the modern world. More violent/militaristic, misogynistic, etc. and a major factor for the way it is followed and believed today is the environment in which it is promoted. Thus the difference between Catholicism in England and Catholicism in Africa, Latin America, the Philippines, Italy, etc. Social life in many Muslim countries has changed drastically in the last 40-70 years for a variety of reasons. Not surprisingly, Islamic has changed as well.

Really, we just all need to interbreed a whole lot more and erase stupid divisions and evolve past the need for "better than you" religions. I am doing my part, fighting the good fight. You can take your chance and focus not just racially but also religiously. Marry a liberal Muslim. Have children. Spread a more loving, modern ideology.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

My wife would most likely not approve - but there are some I would have considered, specifically someone like Ruzwana Bashir, the founder of peek.com (haven't met her, just judging from photos and what I have read).

[​IMG]

I'm working on the interbreeding stuff, though.

6. what

what Member

lolol

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Putting his anger issues aside - I agree that doesn't add credibility...and just sticking to the facts:

He makes a very strong point here. That the backwardness and treatment of women - stoning, the intolerance, the poor treatment - is not a religious matter in the region as Christian and Islamic cultures alike are guilty of these backward practices. The common thread extends beyond Islam. There in fact seems to be a greater propensity to report Islamic backwardness though over other cultures. In India for example, Hindus do atrocious things to their women, yet no one starts threads about it. Very little is made of child-marriage, infanticide, how women aren't allowed to own property, and much more.

It does seem to poke a major hole in the argument that Islam is the source of the problems, which many people have been trying to carry that story line with anecdotal evidence. I have yet to see a study that shows Islam is in fact more violent than other religions.

The other thing outside of this that doesn't make any sense is why no one addresses the fact that Islamic extremism wasn't around in 1950. Where are all the jihadists then? Why weren't Jews being killed in the middle east in the 1800's. How could they be living in peace? You would think if Islam fundamentally (no pun intended) was violent, that the problems we see today would have been the same problems in 1900. They are not.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is not actually true. The conversation was specifically about female genital mutilation. The stoning and much of the other intolerance and poor treatment is, in fact, specific to Islam.

Mostly, it doesn't.

Nobody is stopped from doing it. Well, nobody is stopped from doing it, outside of certain Muslim countries.

Then tell us about it. How does it compare between Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and, let's say, India, since you specifically mention it. Are women allowed to drive in India? Are they ordered by law to spend their life behind a curtain?

Maybe you should ask ISIS, I am sure they could provide a study to you.

It was around - in fact, Mohammed himself ordered the beheadings of hundreds of Jews. No wonder people like "Exiled" think it is a-ok to hate Jews.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Except the Religion of Science.
    He has become Devout in 'his scientist'
    while simply lampooning all other scientist and religions

As with most . . .they have a devout faith in THEIR BELIEFS
    and Maher is no different .. . .
    defy his belief system and he sticks his fingers in his ears and smirks

Those who agree with him . . .love him
    those who don't . . .. he despises and belittle as ignorant and stupid
    [sound familiar?]

Rocket River

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"(Islamophobia) It's not a real thing when . . . WE DO IT!" - Bill Maher

That statement basically explains his full world view
    He is right . .and the rest of you are idiots if you do not agree

Rocket River

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So if you criticize Islam, you're an Islamophobe.

Got it.

Are there Christianophobes and Jewishphobes too?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I looked the first one up on Conservapedia and it redirected me to Liberal.

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

abrahamphobes.

fruits of a poisonous tree.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's actually what Affleck did - Maher and Harris addressed what Affleck said, Affleck just went through a script he had learned before the show and ignored every argument they made.

15. what

what Member

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Finally, taking him out of hiding.

17. what

what Member

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

what? Obviously not just a weirdo (we already knew this), but...

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Truly cannot be a real quote . . . . .

Rocket River
    must be more context . . . .

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's a stupid statement made to exaggerate a point. He is not saying rape is not bad. He just thinks religion has caused more harm than rape. I think it's just something stupid to say because even if said to make anpoint, it's just too easily taken out of context and used against you.