1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Bennett's final solution: aborting all black babies could reduce crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Sep 30, 2005.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Do you deny that blacks commit more crime than whites?

2. gwayneco

Do you deny that blacks are more likely to commit more crimes than whites? Think carefully, I know you have a limited intellectual capacity and I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I do deny it. I don't deny that in the U.S. more blacks are convicted of it, and may in fact commit crime. But in most of Africa the crime rate is less than in the U.S. with a larger black population. That would infer that the reason there are more blacks convicted of crimes in the U.S. has to do with more than there race.

In addition even if blacks did commit more crimes than whites to associate crime with unborns who have no record of crime is attaching a negative stereotype to a whole group of people based only on their race.

There are studies that also point out that blacks are far more likely than whites to be the victims of crime. It goes to poverty, the reasons for poverty, and a history of injustice far more than it does to a silly, and false theory that one race is more criminal than another race.

But that is really a side issue. The thing that made Bennet's comments racist was attaching a negative stereotype on a whole race of people based on the actions of a few rather than judging people as individuals.

4. gwayneco

How is a negative stereotype? Blacks are more likely to commit crime in America than whites. That's just the facts.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Ok, now tell us what you believe is the cause of this.

BTW, for those of you saying he just put forth the same idea from Freakonomics, race was never used as a stastic.

6. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

If a democrat was conducting a theoretical discussion based on a book and elluded to this it wouldn't even be mentioned in the media.

I happen to listen to Bill Bennet in the mornings on the way to work and heard the ENTIRE conversation in regards to this "convenient sound bite" that the media is jumping all over. Its been blown way out of context. He also said that the idea of such a thing would morally reprehensable and only made the deduction based on the books comments and facts.

For those of you just looking for someone else to gossip about and attack why don't you go and attack the abortion clinic who is encouraging the blacks from New Orleans that now is a great time to get an abortion if your pregnant and were forced out of your home due to the hurricane.

The hypocrosy in the media is too much to bear witness to. I would like to ask you all to listen to the various news outlets who will no doubt be beating this drum and keep a keen ear out for the convenient catch phrases that I'm sure were distributed to the army of talking heads. You'll find its quite well orchestrated and produced from behind the scenes.

This type of $h!t is classic propoganda and manipulation and the exact type of stuff the Nazis used to do back in 1930's in Germany. Find someone you want to destroy, wait for an opportunity, publish a paper or take a quote out of context and the distribute to the masses in a repetitive fashion until the fiction became reality. They did it to political enemies, the Jewish population, educated people they felt would rise up against their views....

If you listen to Bill Bennet in the mornings you'll find that he is actually a pretty balanced individual. And if you do your research he used to be a democrat who became a republican so there is no doubt some revenge going on here. I find it quite comical that when the Democratic left run out of good ideas to talk about the witch hunts begin and they search for any little thing to attach their enemies with. And equally as comical is the way the media runs with this information before any of it is clearly layed out or retorted. This is a dangerous precedent that is being set regardless of politcal offiliation. The very same thing happened to Calvin Murphy of your Houston Rockets. He was only accused of a crime by his daughters and the media reported it as if he had been found guilty and sent off to prison. And as always this ruins the persons reputation because the majority of the population fails to see the big picture but rather only hears the sound bite and most assuradly draws the worst conclusion. Unfairly the person usually never gets the same amount of attention would the accusations are found to be false and so the damage is done.

#86 OddsOn, Oct 1, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

He did no such thing.

He suggested a blunt but ridiculous solution that would accomplish something worth accomplishing but not at that price-- as he so indicated himself.

What "negative characteristic" did he assign to black people?

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

This whole line of thinking is just plain stupid!

Just because something is a "fact" doesn't make it a worthwhile statement.

If I walked up to you your wife and said, "you got a big fat ass!" If she happened to be overweight, then what I said would be a "fact." But what's the point in saying something like that?!? What value does it serve? None!

The guy is obviously a jerk and it was a stupid and insensitive thing to say. For anybody here to defend his statement is equally insensitive and illustrates how out of touch you are. Regardless of your beleifs, you should just pull out a "no comment" on this one. Trust me.

For him or you to say, "well, it wasn't his words or its out of context" is freaking r****ded. Take some responsibility for yourself, man! I don't care the context and I don't care about his "facts". His comment had NO redeeming value to society. As such, it shouldn't have been said.

It's a dumb thing to say.

Period.

Quit defending him.

9. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

krosfyah, read A Modest Proposal and tell me what you think. Do you think Jonathan Swift really thinks eating babies is a good idea?

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Did he say eating black babies?

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That's a work of satire, do you really believe that Bennett was being satirical? Yeah right.

Like I first pointed out, if we look at all criminals in this country, which characteristic will comprise a larger majority, being black or being poor? It's obvioulsy going to be poverty, so why didn't Bennett say that? You could abort any race and it will lower the crime rate, so why did he pick black? It's because he's prejudiced and believes that blacks are naturally inclined to committ crime.

For those of you who think there's nothing wrong with what he said, go say the exact same thing to every black person you see this weekend (if you even know any black people). If there's nothing wrong with saying it and if being offended by it is the fault of the person being offended for being "oversensative," then go ahead and do it.

12. krosfyah

I don't have to read it. Maybe he's right or wrong. It's irrelevant.

Why say something inflamitory if it is completely irrelevant to reality?

It is dumb.

IF you think his comment has some validity, then such comments were meant for people such as yourself. Consider yourself manipulated.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The problem I have with this statement and Bennet's is that this is the way some conservatives think but have the good sense to not say in public. It is like Bennet forgot he wasn't talking privately among his conservative buds.

14. giddyup

You are comparing a personal attack to a generalized analysis.

This is America, right?

Excuse me, while I must go try and get in touch with the world... I found a new Texas BBQ place in North Carolina! :D

15. giddyup

And was your "final solution" headline satirical? :eek:

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

when dick durban read the fbi memo detailing instances of torture at guantanamo he simply stated that if he didnt tell you who did it you would think it was nazis, gulags, pol pot, ect. he never said the troops were nazis, just that the things he was reading out of an fbi memo seemed nazi-esque. but the right jumped all over him for comparing the troops to nazi's. yes, his analogy was extreme and inappropriate, but the content of what he was discussing was valid. our own fbi was detailing instances of abuse and torture, but everyone jumped all over durban for his comments regarding the memo.

however, durban realized that he upset alot of people and he was man enough to apologize. that is something that many on the right seem incabable of...simple apology. i dont think bennet is a racist, but what he said was inappropriate and if he had any character he would have apologized already and everyone would move on.

17. krosfyah

That is your defense? "This is America?" Look, just cause it's legal don't make it right.

If you can justify in your mind that it is appropriate to make such remarks because "Its a free country" then go right ahead. You are also free to spit on your neighbor's window. You probably wouldn't get put in jail for spitting but its hard to argue that this is acceptable behavior.

If you are justifying what this man said, then that speaks to your character. Period. Sugarcoat it how you like.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Major
    IMO you cannot go by that in and of it self
    We can talk class. . but ole boy didn't say class
    he said Black People

The point is. . . so many crimes [by the privilidged]
    don't even make it to jail much less prison
    aaaahhhhhh Little Richie got coke. . . well . .I'm gonna pour it out
    and tell him don't let it happen again . . .
    Cops let folx go all the time and more often than not
    those they let off ain't minorities. . .

I know it is CLASS but . .. ole boy didn't argue class
    he Said RACE . . one RACE in specific

. . The attitude is far more prevalent than most
    would like to admit too . . . VERY PREVALENT

Rocket River

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I deny it completely

for instance. . Ken Lay committed a crime
    and I'd bet money that he will not be convicted
    so he will be politely excused from your statistics

It happens more often than folx like you are willing to admit
    Privilidge folx get off more often than non-privildged folx
    so they don't show up in your lovely statistics

Rocket River

20. giddyup

Who did Bennett criticize (as Durban did the soldiers at Gitmo) and to whom does he owe an apology? He made a math problem into a word problem and was the first one to cite its ruthlessness...