1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Barr and DOJ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by edwardc, Feb 18, 2020.

?

Should Barr Resign

1. Yes

37.9%
  2. No

3.4%
  3. Be charged with obstruction

58.6%
  1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The lead law enforcement officer in America outright lying to you, again...

T_Man, VooDooPope and RayRay10 like this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

T_Man and Nook like this.
  3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's much more coming. Trump and Barr have no qualms using he DOJ and any other part of government for his reelection.

T_Man and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

This.

They are going to continue to dump stuff, much of it not truthful or taken out of context. I expect the information released 2-3 days before the election to be completely false, but they will figure that there isn't enough time to address it.

William Barr recently expressed surprise that the media isn't covering some of the recent "discoveries" that the AG office has released.

This election is going to be VERY close, and while people like Nate Silver can give Biden a 75% chance of winning, he cannot possible consider all the lengths that the President will go to, to compromise this election.

Genesis, T_Man and RayRay10 like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

James Herbert is a *current* assistant US Attorney in the Department of Justice.

Barr dishonors Justice Department
    Many former federal prosecutors have spoken out against Attorney General William Barr, while current federal prosecutors have understandably remained silent. The attorney general’s comments at Hillsdale College, however, compel me to speak out as well. While I am a federal prosecutor, I am writing to express my own views, clearly not those of the department, on a matter that should concern all citizens: the unprecedented politicization of the office of the attorney general. The attorney general acts as though his job is to serve only the political interests of Donald J. Trump. This is a dangerous abuse of power. From his misleading summary of the Mueller Report, to his selective intervention in cases against political allies of the president, to his accusation that victims such as George Floyd are being used as mere “props” by those calling for racial justice, to his baseless claims about mail-in ballots, William Barr has done the president’s bidding at every turn. For 30 years I have been proud to say I work for the Department of Justice, but the current attorney general has brought shame on the department he purports to lead.

James D. Herbert
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/24/opinion/barr-dishonors-justice-department/

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

8. NewRoxFan

9. NewRoxFan

The country's highest law enforcement officer looking at militia groups conspiring to kidnap a sitting state governor? Naaah... much more important to focus on Hillary's emails with hope of influencing an election...

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It worked last time with Comey...what else they fuggin gonna do?

Govern? Set a real agenda for economic growth and recovery outside the stock market? Send unemployed covid stricken people checks with Donny's name on it? Parachute Trump Covid Cures all across America?

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

Proof that there are still people with integrity that work in the department of justice... but would hope that there are more..."Rather than representing the interests of the American public, Barr chooses to act as Trump’s lap dog."

Commentary: I won’t work in Attorney General William Barr’s Justice Department any longer

By PHILLIP HALPERN
    OCT. 14, 20205:46 PM

After 36 years, I’m fleeing what was the U.S. Department of Justice — where I proudly served 19 different attorneys general and six different presidents. For the last three-plus decades, I have respected our leadership regardless of whether we were led by a Republican or a Democrat. I always believed the department’s past leaders were dedicated to the rule of law and the guiding principle that justice is blind. That is a bygone era, but it should not be forgotten.

Maybe I should’ve seen this coming, but like many of my colleagues, I fervently hoped that Attorney General William Barr’s preemptive misrepresentation of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report was an honest mistake or a solitary misstep — rather than a deliberate attempt to conceal potential presidential misconduct. After all, Barr has never actually investigated, charged or tried a case. He’s a well-trained bureaucrat but has no actual experience as a prosecutor.

Unfortunately, over the last year, Barr’s resentment toward rule-of-law prosecutors became increasingly difficult to ignore, as did his slavish obedience to Donald Trump’s will in his selective meddling with the criminal justice system in the Paul Manafort, Michael Flynn and Roger Stone cases. In each of these cases, Barr overruled career prosecutors in order to assist the president’s associates and/or friends, who potentially harbor incriminating information. This career bureaucrat seems determined to turn our democracy into an autocracy.

There is no other honest explanation for Barr’s parroting of the president’s wild and unsupported conspiracy theories regarding mail-in ballots (which have been contradicted by the president’s handpicked FBI director) and his support for the president’s sacking of the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, whose office used the thinnest of veils to postpone charging the president in a criminal investigation along with Michael Cohen (who pled guilty and directly implicated the president). It took federal Judge Alvin Hellerstein to stop Barr’s unprecedented “retaliatory” demands to silence the president’s former lawyer as a condition for staying out of jail.

Similarly, it took federal Judge Reggie Walton (who sharply criticized Barr for a “lack of candor”) to at least temporarily stop Barr from dismissing all charges against Flynn, the president’s former national security adviser, who admitted lying to the FBI about conversations he had with the Russian ambassador. Rather than representing the interests of the American public, Barr chooses to act as Trump’s lap dog.

More recently, Barr directed federal officers to use tear gas in Lafayette Park to quell what were, at that time, peaceful protesters. Barr’s assertion the square was not cleared due to the president’s desire for a Bible-carrying photo op is laughable. It is certainly a case that Barr would lose before a jury (again, though, this may not be clear to him due to his unfamiliarity with jury trials).

Barr also turned his back on the rule of law by supporting the president’s selective use of federal troops to assault citizens protesting the killing of George Floyd in Portland, Oregon. Yet he stood silently by when armed right-wing protesters stormed the Michigan state Capitol building to protest the Democratic governor’s public health orders.

Barr’s longest-running politicization of the Justice Department is the Durham investigation — a quixotic pursuit designed to attack the president’s political rivals. Confirming his scorn for honest apolitical prosecutors, Barr refers to some as “headhunters” who pursue “ill-conceived charges against prominent political figures.” It does not appear to be a coincidence that all of these prominent political figures happen to be friends of the president. However, if I’m a headhunter because I charged and convicted disgraced local House members Duncan D. Hunter and Randy “Duke” Cunningham, so be it. It’s a badge that I will wear with honor.

I remained in government service this past year at least partly because I was concerned that the department would interfere with the Hunter prosecution in my absence. Unfortunately, many of my colleagues without such a rationale appear to have started abandoning Barr’s ship. Equally troubling, highly qualified lawyers appear to be unwilling to apply to be federal prosecutors while Barr remains at the helm. Yet, as I leave government service, I take great comfort in the fact that the career people who remain in the Department of Justice are firmly committed to the rule of law, and are some of the most dedicated, ethical and industrious individuals we have in government. At times like these, I take heart in knowing that they are all committed to preserving and rebuilding the Department of Justice that I was privileged to serve.
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...-10-14/william-barr-department-of-justice-doj

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Independent of the election, and independent of party, Congress should call for his resignation.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can hope this type of AG appointment isn't an established trend.

JFKs own brother was less of a partisan hack toady.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He should be impeached

Nook, RayRay10, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

The folk from BLM and Antifa attack ag barr's house... oh wait, its trump supporters...

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Three more horses and it's game over.

Nook, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Trump wants to be the one and true King Cheetah once he gets done stealing this election,

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

King takes Pawn.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"Ewww. Look at those nasty Covey spreaders! They don't give a ****!"

From the comments: ...

"Getaway vehicle?"

"It'll never hold him."

:D