1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bike thieves are pieces of shinola. Are you a racist? Probably. At least a little bit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dsnow23, Feb 3, 2011.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The black kid was tatted up?

What specifically, was the difference in their appearance beyond skin color that makes you think the black kid looked more 'hood'?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's amazing how a thread showing stereotyping brings out more stereotyping.

Kind of sad.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's no such thing as a "hood" white kid. A "hood" white kid tries to dress like a wannabe rapper and is not intimidating at all.

It all goes with the stereotype, you expect a thug white kid to be like a skateboard punk with nose rings and lots of tattoos, and you expect thug black kids to have baggy pants and hoodie with an oversized hat.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The cap, the extra long shirt...

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's part of the racial stereotype though. That's how a lot of black kids dress, whether they are criminals/thugs or not.

6. justtxyank

How many black kids did you know growing up? Extra long shirts and a cap are not something that is exclusive to the thugs.

7. justtxyank

Dude, not only did they help her, she flat out told the guy helping her that it wasn't her bike and he kept helping her.

8. justtxyank

I thought the interesting interview was with the black women who admitted that they didn't do anything because they didn't think a white kid would be stealing a bike but said if he'd been black they would have reported it.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why would you say something like that?

You must be Jewish.

2 people like this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

My teen years were spent in a predominantly black neighborhood (Sunnyside) and I rarely had a problem that was racially motivated.

When I did, usually kids from another street wondering where the hell this white boy came from, my black friends helped me out. Good times.

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Right, but its not a fair test when they are differentiating factors so noticeable.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They were both wearing a cap and a t-shirt. The longer shirt is enough to make the difference here?

They should redo this with a white kid dressing more 'hood' and the black kid dressing up business-casual. What might the reaction be then? My guess -- about even.

13. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0YI7Q0ZGvIc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0YI7Q0ZGvIc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

14. justtxyank

They were using saws to try to take a chain off of a bike. The white kid told people who asked that the bike was not his. They still did nothing. The old white dude yelled down the black kid and lectured him about it not being his.

You think that really just stemmed from the way the clothing fit?

Think for a moment. THE WHITE KID TOLD PEOPLE THE BIKE WAS NOT HIS. They still did nothing.

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

First impressions also do matter. If you put the blondie in sweat pants and a hoodie, I am sure more people would give it a second thought that hey, maybe she is stealing the bike.

I am not saying there isn't a stereotype, however, the testing was still not completely fair.

16. justtxyank

Well of course it wasn't "completely fair" it wasn't a controlled scientific experiment. It is still pretty telling.

I still go back to the fact that even after telling people the bike wasn't their property, the White Kid got almost no negative reactions (just one person did anything) and the White Girl got assistance in stealing the bike.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Nope. They've done many other racial test like this and the blacks almost always get the bad end of the stick. Its not as simple as saying its due to the setting.

Ok this is ridiculous. While I dont disagree that everyone sterotypes but a big jump between stereotypes and racism? Cmon man. If anything, its a very very thin line between the two. The majority of stereotypes are pretty racist themselves and their origin stats from a racist perspective.

I also don't get why people are saying this wasn't fair. The white kid told people straight up it wasn't his bike and pretty much confirmed he was stealing. Most didn't do anything. Black kid does the same thing, and he can't even steal the bike peacefully without being mobbed. And people are saying this wasn't fair? LOL

2 people like this.
  18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

What we need to do is come up with more ways to show us we are racist.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Guys thinking with their dicks haha. Meh, I'm no different, I would have feigned interest in helping her just so I can look down the shirt. Then call the cops on her afterwards.

I would imagine if the chick was a fat butchy chick with a butch haircut and also wearing a wifebeater that showed her tattoos, she probably would have been stopped a few more times and the guys wouldn't have been as helpful to her.

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's clear the testers are influencing a response but this can't be stressed enough. At least from the impression of the video and its edits, it looks like they congratulate anybody who calls out the white kid almost immediately. With the black kid it seems as if the TV crew just let things escalate and the kid is allowed to improv longer which draws a crowd and only promotes posse style behavior.