1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bike thieves are pieces of shinola. Are you a racist? Probably. At least a little bit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dsnow23, Feb 3, 2011.

1. amaru

amaru Member

:rolleyes:

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

That's definitely interesting. But to be 'fair', the white kid looked like a chubby dork and the black kid looked more 'hood'.

The video says they were dressed alike, but they didn't really look alike, disregarding the skin color. Put a tatted up Travis Barker type white kid and a Wall Street type, avid fitness, black professional with appropriate demeanor, and you may get different results.

And well about the hot blonde, that goes without saying. We all knew how that would turn out . ;) :grin:

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

my old lady (white) manager at famous footwear would often get suspicious when "suspicious" looking colored folks walked in the store. she wanted us to keep an eye on them, but me and my co-workers would just be like "whatever old woman" in our heads.

that being said the only time i ever saw a shoplifter in there was when the black girl came up to the counter to distract us while her man stole some shoes. he ran out like his pants were on fire and so did she. who knows how many other times that store got jacked by more skilled thieves, but that was the only time i ever saw a theft. that probably stuck out more in my old manager's head too.

that being said i am judgemental as hell. i was suspicious of all of them (i think the white guy more because he was bigger in stature and looked like a douche), but i was more suspicious of the girl. she looked like a stripper or some sort of coke w**** or thief. but i probably would have ended up helping her :eek:. that being said the black guy looked like a douche too, but it's more accepted because of the general idea of black people being cool looking and nonchalant with the hat turned to the side. if white people do it then it looks like we are trying too hard...usually cause we are. i'm throwing all the stereotypes out there so don't freak out about it. :grin:

i did like the line from the short black guy where he said "technically it is not...but it is gonna be mine...lol". i laughed :p

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you are confusing racism with stereotyping. they are not the same.

yes racism exists, but not all stereotyping is racist.

5. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

A more accurate way to put it would have been to ask "do you racially stereotype? or do you racially profile? Instead of asking if you are you a racist.

Basically, everyone stereotypes. Even if they don't want to think they do.

In my opinion, there is a pretty big jump between stereotyping and being a racist.

Equally as importantly, if you see someone stealing a bike, knock the crap out of them and ask questions later, or at least, call the police.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

Blah blah another race experiment involving only two races, nobody else matters.

Call me when they throw a Native Indian or a Eskimo or Indonesian or whatever in it.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

calm down you amazing speller!

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

white and black are the only races in america. this is a proven fact.

9. amaru

amaru Member

Most of the stereotypes I have heard are based on racist connotations/beliefs.

10. krnxsnoopy

Yup, everyone stereotypes. Asians, White, Hispanic, even Black ppl.

11. dback816

dback816 Member

The sad thing is this is what the people behind these types of experiments usually believe.

If Rodney King was Rodney Wang instead, would America have cared?

What compelled you to add the word "even" in front of black people?

12. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I have to admit, you got me on that one.

Genius.

13. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Good question. That's incredibly insulting to black people, even though I don't think he meant it to be.

14. krnxsnoopy

Didn't mean to offend. I was just saying everyone is on the giving or receiving end of prejudice and stereotyping in one way or another. No race is less guilty of it than the others. I probably should have worded that better, sorry if I caused any confusion.

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Ahaha I was cracking up when people started helping out the blonde girl. A damsel in distress just lol @ the game these guys are spitting.

I conduct similar racial studies on a daily basis, so if you guys have any questions, feel free to hit me up.

Even within the black community, light skinned is viewed as less threatening, less aggressive and more beautiful than dark skin.

From personal experiences, I view the beautiful as more likely to be deviant because they've always been able to get away with it. It's not mandatory for them to play by the rules. Whereas Mr and Mrs homely are like reliable ol chipper.

16. aghast

aghast Member

Thievery?

Forget Indians. Forget blacks. Forget hot chicks.

Darned Italians are the worst.

[​IMG]

17. foo82

foo82 Member

Random fact of the day: Wang means king in Chinese.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Put a white guy in a predominately Black neighborhood and see if he can do anything without getting his ass kicked.

19. lpbman

lpbman Member

I seem to remember a piece in a Gladwell book making a similar point. Something about car dealerships picking out black guys as marks and them not being able to touch the invoice price while white guys paid the lowest prices. Also some such thing about people taking computer tests where people took way longer to not label everything black as bad or something... I think it was Blink. Can anyone clarify my hazy memory?

Need to fire up the ol audiobook and give it another listen.

20. amaru

amaru Member

Never seen a white guy get his ass kicked in my neighborhood :)

Or anybody for that matter