1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest Surprise of the season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by malakas, Apr 10, 2018.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Rockets winning Western Conference by at least 6 games over Warriors. I'm sure Morey didn't expect it, except Clint Capela.

2. Nook

Nook Member

No, that would be the Rockets and Warriors.

The Rockets have only lost 4 games during that stretch (for what it is worth) and only 1 of those loses were when the Rockets had anything to play for.

Quinn Snyder is a top 5-10 coach in the NBA and his team will play very hard and be well prepared, but they are a cut below the Rockets and Warriors.

BigShasta and malakas like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed, although I guess it isn't surprising that Curry got hurt.

It is a bit surprising how bad they are without him.

4. ballscientist1

I'd vote Quinn Snyder to win Coach of the Year.

Start at 19-28, then ......

Start at 19-28, even the Rockets would be out of the playoffs?

Scary! Without Warriors, Jazz would have won the Championship last year?

#24 ballscientist1, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I think we've gotten used to it by now, but I'm surprised by how mediocre the Thunder are. In the public eye, they were the CLEAR winner of the off-season and had absolutely swindled the Pacers in particular.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Surprised Westbrook chasing the triple double again... no, not really. :D

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Honestly, the Rockets or the biggest surprise to me.

solid likes this.
  8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree. I was not expecting what has happened. Last season ended in a bizarre way, very discouraging. I didn't think the CP3 addition would make that much difference. I didn't expect Capela to make as much progress as he has. I didn't think PJ Tucker would have the impact he has. There are no surprises with Harden. He is a regular season wonder. I am just hoping he can put together a "surprising" post season.

Easy and Roc Paint like this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

This is the first season in decades where the Spurs aren't even remote contenders. It used to be that you could never write them off because they had Duncan (or Kawhi) and a great system/coaching, but this year, yeah... You can just write them off as a 1st or 2nd round exit. 2nd round would actually be an over-achievement. They have a 40 year old as one of their most important players.

It's also crazy to think that Kawhi was the reason why Pop decided not to retire together with Duncan. And now Kawhi might leave him.

#29 omgTHEpotential, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    malakas and BigShasta like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Indiana winning 49 games is the most surprising thing to me...no way in hell I ever saw that coming before the season started, I thought they were in line for a nice lotto pick

omgTHEpotential and malakas like this.
  11. ballscientist1

Surprise: Without Mr. Curry, Warriors look like Clippers.

Last 2 months, 12 players are working part time and get full time pay checks. Crazy!

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Utah being pretty good.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why? Melo is subtraction by addition. I would be very surprised if the two black holes in Melo and Westbrook were in the top 4.

I find the Rockets being #1 over all the most surprising.

Going into the season, I was expecting GSW to be the overwhelming favorites. In a very distant 2nd, I saw Houston and Cleveland. Come the finals, we shouldn't be surprised to see any match up that may happen. A Utah Vs Tor finals is not exactly that far out of the picture.

14. omgTHEpotential

I'd say 'pretty good' is an understatement. Lately they look like legit title contenders. They're 29-5 since January 24th. That's a 70-12 pace.