1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest issue right now? Harden's turnovers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aroundtheblock2, Nov 29, 2018.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We have system that literally requires the PG to do everything while everyone stands around, without CP we literally have 1 guy on the team that can dribble the ball, what the hell do you expect.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So the only player who has been great all season is our biggest problem... I was waiting for this actually.

hakeem94 and RiceRockets like this.
  3. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

A good amount of his turnovers come from his teammates being lost and confused on where they should be or how to help. This is bad attempt at originality. Thinking of a new angle doesnt make it the correct answer

Stormy1234 likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

if u think that this season is on Harden and our biggest issue is his turnovers then I’m sorry, you’re clueless

5. basketballholic

It is an issue. It is an important issue. It has to be fixed if we're going to win a championship. I think it is fixable with Paul, other roster additions, and moving away from pick and roll to more 5-out, iso, and PickNPop play.

The major concern with this unit is our defensive rebounding deficiencies leading to second chance putbacks, defensive fouls and free throws. We would decrease those things somewhat if we had a better 3 than Ennis. He's not rebounding. And Capela's rebounding has went down significantly.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

OP is reaching.

"What can I talk about that's not Melo, Morey, our lack of depth, MDA or CP3's hammy?"

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Besides cp3 harden and tucker and possibly capella.. everyone is expendable at this point... the roster is a disaster at this point. We are going to have to attach something of use with the scrubs morey picked up this offseason to get us something of any value.... all the opposing teams saw the golden state series last year and realize all they have to do is wear harden out and everything falls apart. Morey is either going to fix this soon or enjoy alot of time off sitting at the unemployment office

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well tov% is partly based on shots. The formula is

• TOV%
      Turnover Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV). Turnover percentage is an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays.

So guys with few shots will have a high tov% even if they aren't necessarily turnover prone.

Also his turnover % is approaching 2016-17 levels but he isn't nearly at the assist rate he was for that year.

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

If you are really concerned about Harden's turnovers then look at his point to turnover ration and subtract it from his effective field goal efficiency.
    Harden has always been a careless passer. This isn't new. While it definitely is a problem, it isn't the main issue.

Our problem is most of our players just find a corner and plant themselves there. There is rarely more than 1 person moving off the ball on offense at a time.

On defense nobody helps Capela. So many times I see just Capela and 4 other opponent jerseys going for rebound. Rockets paint is so porous. They just have to drag Capela out from under the rim (which is super easy to do because of switching) and then its a field day. On the perimeter the Rockets are almost scared to get their hands up and try to contest shot because they are scared about the blow by knowing that if they let their man by there will most likely be nobody there to protect the rim.

Rockets should develop a switching zone defense. One that allows switching for the drivers but doesn't force Capela from out under the paint.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. aroundtheblock2

Harden in losses this year has been horrible turning the ball over. Hes had 35 turnovers in the last 4 games alone which is good for 21.74 TOV%.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So what? Do you want to discuss this as a team problem, or do you want to discuss which individual player is best in the league at not turning it over?

That TOV% formula is my point...how many shots or shooting fouls do we get off per turnover. A concentration of turnovers in just two players doesn't mean it's a team problem. I mean, this isn't my argument; it's MDA's, and I'm just trying to show this thread the numbers and how MDA views turnovers.

Should we be doing better, yes. But by looking at Harden's totals, it looks like it's a major problem, but yet we are 17th...with all these rookies and MCW playing, plus an often careless Gordon, and Alley-oops that should be more dangerous, but they aren't.

Because we are a ball-control offense, we are much better than Utah, and better than GSW, TOR, MIL, PHI, IND. Last year, our system was 5th from Jan 10th on (when Harden came back from his hammie). GSW has bad turnover numbers.

12. TheSource

TheSource Member

When you’re playing 40+ minutes a night and the whole offense goes through you the turnovers are going to go up I don’t blame any of this on harden the dude has been balling the past few games

13. sheb

sheb Member

Harden has to do too much for us to even be in a game

Can’t blame him for this, nice try though

14. Mr. Clutch

Well I agree looking at it team wide it doesn't look bad (17th as you said), but Hardens tov% itself is pretty bad.

Next thing to look at is live ball turnovers and see how many points opponents are generating off the turnovers. My guess is it's pretty high. The defense sucks for many reasons, but it could look worst statistically due to easy points off live ball turnovers.

15. Mr. Clutch

Offense has been going through Harden a long time. It's not always been like this. People forget, but before he dated klhoe, turnovers weren't an issue for him (they were sligtly elevated but nothing like now)

16. heypartner

And in only one of those games was our Team TOV% higher than GSWs rate last year in their losses. And only 2 were higher in GSW overall TOV%.

Point is: those recent Harden numbers are offset by Paul got zero TOs, so MDA's offense was concentrating majority of TOs into one player.

This isn't my argument guys. It's MDA's. We have too many turnovers, versus last year, Yes, and MDA wants them to come down. But to look at Harden alone, makes it appear as a bigger issue than it is. It's certainly not as bad as our recent defense, and certainly not as bad as our bench.

17. heypartner

wrt Harden, the only thing that matters is looking at the Team TOV%, especially when Paul isn't playing. The last 4 games are comparable to GSW's average last year, and that's probably our worst stretch of 4 games.

Yes, we need to get better. But I'm not worried about our Team TOV% as much as defense and bench scoring...and the damn depth.

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Thread of the week...would definitely read again

19. Mr. Clutch

I'm not worried about team tov%. I am worried about defense and bench scoring too. I think the biggest problem is defense. The offense is ranked top ten (although I think the defense ends up more penalized from live ball turnovers)

I'm more worried about Harden though. I don't think he's in great shape and I think that's showing up in his struggles with finishing at the rim, turnovers and defense

At the end of the day we win because of our stars. We should be a bit worse due to the loss of Ariza, mboute and nene but not this much worse. Losing by that much to Dallas?

That said, someone posted the rockets are 8-4 when both Harden and Paul play so this may be a result of no depth

20. heypartner

imo, MDA considers those two statements contradictory.

The spike in last three games is offset by Paul got zero turnovers. Despite Harden having what looks like horrible TO numbers, then Team TOV% didn't suffer too much ... same as GSW's average last year.

You either look at Harden's TOs individually, or you consider MDA's argument, which is all I'm trying to state. It's not my argument that MDA doesn't care about Harden's TOs...unless/until total team TOV% suffers...which it is, but probably at a peak, right now.

hakeem94 likes this.