1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest Fear For This Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Believe It!, Feb 15, 2022.

?

What's your BIGGEST fear for this team?

Poll closed May 16, 2022.
  1. Green doesn't meet expectations.

46 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Sengun doesn't meet expectations.

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Keep Silas for the remainder of his contract.

33 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Pass on the top bigs in the draft.

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Wood extension for the max available.

53 vote(s)
    47.3%
  6. KPJ extension for the max available.

22 vote(s)
    19.6%
  7. Other.

15 vote(s)
    13.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

It's plain to see, from the Top to the Bottom, there are so many issues with this team. A lot to be hopeful for and a ton that's worrisome to say the least. After the deadline, once I collected myself and concluded that they can still get a deal done. Either at the draft, during the offseason or at the deadline next year. That's when the "What ifs" kicked in and I began to worry.

What if they never intended to trade Wood. They some how believe in him and plan on maxing him out? What if they actually see him as a franchise big! :eek:

MY biggest fear is that they pass on either Jabari, Paolo or Chet for a wing or dare I say another guard, because they plan on keeping him.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maxing out Wood...and everything it would represent...a portent of things to come if this goes down.

I think JG will eventually get there...wherever THERE is...All Star caliber player probably. Not necessarily franchise player though.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Not getting a top 3 pick.

Newlin, DreamR, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  4. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Right now its just so hard to predict anything with such an unstable organization. So many are so new to their rolls, its hard to see any form of light at the end of the tunnel.

I would personally fire Silas today, let Lucas coach the rest of the year. The idea would be playing though Sengun and letting the young guys get the majority of the playing time. Maybe some old school style basketball playing is what we need to be a bit competitive. We miss so many 3's, its pathetic to keep shooting them like we do. I do not hate Silas, but this is not the job they brought him in for. I am not the biggest fan of Lucas as the HC, but right now we needed an established voice of someone who has been in that role before. So in other words...buckle up MF'ers, this ride will stay bumpy as hell for a while.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would actually say "Other" which is striking out again in the 2022 Draft.

Not that Green, JC, and Sengun are clear misses, but it's pretty clear by now they aren't transformational talents the way Mobley looks with Cleveland. Every year that Stone misses in the draft and takes just an "okay" young player who might must be a starter at best, the rebuild cannot function as it should.

This team needs to bottom out until it finds someone we think can be a star, but Stone seems like he doesn't have the guts to do that anymore(evidenced by keeping EG, Schroader, etc.). If we have a team full of "okay" players we'll be maybe good enough in 3 years to be a play-in team, and go nowhere for 5 to 10 years. Add a garbage head coach like Silas and you really are going nowhere.

Missing on Mobley is going to haunt this team for years.... UNLESS Stone hits with this years top pick. If he misses then we could be screwed with a mediocre team for years and years.

6. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

The three big things that scare me are Green not panning out, we fail in the draft lottery this year, or maxing Wood.

DreamR, Believe It! and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

My greatest fear is coddling mid level talent...
    We spent years of coddling Harden - bc he was upper level talent and you do what you gotta do to keep players of that caliber happy...
    With his departure, I had hoped we would try to rebuild the org's 'culture'. Push guys to be team focused - and not on personal stats... hold accountable for effort on both ends of the court.... Set the precedent that no one player is more important than the team... Engrain a team mentality - rather than 'cornerstones and roleplayers' or whatever...
    I wanted JVG to be the guy to set the parameters for the culture reset.... i know his stagnant offense would have been concerning - but i figured he could get an offensive asst - like MDA had Bzdelik as a defensive asst...
    Anyway... thats what I hoped would happen...
    But Silas is too nice a guy...
    A developmental project like KPJ can walk out at halftime - and all he gets is a 1 game suspension?
    Wood can pull a Pippen and refuse to go into a game... and evidently were still looking at giving him a fat contract - despite the red flags...
    Our developmental plan sucks... Half the time it seems we got a bunch of youngsters just running around trying to figure it out - rather than following a game plan... Too many minutes spent on vets...

idk... we just look more and more like a crappy organization every day... not a team that's building a future...

i hope I'm wrong and things start coming to fruition... but i dont like the vibe so far...

8. StevieCrossover

For right now, my fear is if Jalen Green is a busy. Being a high draft pick, one would expect for things to plan out but there has been many busts at the 2nd pick. I believe Green will be a good starter next year and eventually be a beast in years 3 and 4. All cards is finding the next star because it doesnt seem likely GM has magic like Morey.

9. StevieCrossover

Hemingway likes this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Having a bad coach early on can really **** with some players heads. Like who is the genuis that decided Ben Simmons should be a point guard. Green's lack of touches and plays being called for him in important moments may create a guy who becomes scared of the moment and thinks he's not important to the team. This year should have been more concentrated on his development. The Rockets have no idea where to focus. They are confused and it shows.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That Tilman won't tolerate losing and demands we start winning more games ASAP. Instead of building an actual core that can hope to compete for a title in the future.

lakersuck2 and astrosrule like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mobley and Chet would have been awesome together.

DD

Hui, DreamR and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Biggest fear. There will be no defensive identity.

Sactown and Minny, drafting forever.

10 years only 1 or 2 Playoff apperances, 1st round exits to show for it........

Jalen and Kevin Porter - hollow 24 ppg scorers get fed up and bolt.

#13 daywalker02, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets are trying to develop young players, but also need players to be in the right spot for young players to develop. I think Silas and Stone are trying to balance things, but there's a lot of young players and even the vets haven't been in the right spot to help them.

kjayp likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Other

That the Tilman family owns this team forever

Rashmon, payaso and Richie_Rich like this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My biggest fear is that with all the revolving players, in then gone, we end keeping the wrong ones and the ones we passed on flourish somewhere else.

TimDuncanDonaut and javal_lon like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tilman is gonna panic and force an all in after a few losing season.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

They're right on cue with an ownership that's cheap and wants to do the complete opposite of their previous era of basketball

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think that was plausible until last night. Based upon everything I'm seeing I think they are looking at playing one big and four guards.

Wood is not a big, he is best used when he has size over his defender. I see him as a Brandon Ingram type.

STONE....HE IS NOT A CENTER

The Rockets need a center. Wood would be best used as a PF/SF with a mobile big

Corrosion, hakeem94 and payaso like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Expectation: That Green becomes at least an All-Star player, given where he was picked.
    Reality: Given the odds of landing an eventual All-Star player is hard already, landing 4 All-Stars in one draft is damn near impossible. Houston just needs at least one of the 4 1st rounder to eventually get to that level, doesn't really matter which one.
    Fear: None of them will get there

Corrosion and payaso like this.