1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Biggest Competitive Gap in Either Conference in NFL History"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gatsby, Oct 22, 2012.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I would throw Indy in that WC race. They get better every week.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Broncos have had a crazy schedule...and all of their losses came down to one drive.

Manning is getting stronger, and I think that team will be our biggest competition by season's end.

I think having home field throughout the playoffs will pretty much give us a nice road to the Super Bowl. It's weird even talking so nonchalantly about the Super Bowl.

Just need to stay healthy.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Decimated?

They lost their #1 CB. So did the Falcons, but they're still undefeated.

They lost their #1 MLB. So did the Texans...

The Texans are the better team even if both are totally healthy. We almost beat them last year with our 3rd string QB. Schaub plays in that game and we win it going away.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Broncos are not that good. They're an above average team and lucky they're in the worst division.

I've always thought the Pats were number 2 in the AFC, Ravens being third. Yes, record says Ravens, but can't always go by record in the early season.

If we get home field, the only team that will give us a run is NE.

5. rezdawg

Their offense is ranked 6th and their defense is ranked 11th. Not that good?

They lost to the Falcons by 6...Broncos were steamrolling back and lost on the last drive.

They lost to the Texans by 6 in what turned out to be a nail biter.

And their third loss was on the road against the Patriots.

So basically, they lost to an undefeated team and the best two teams in the AFC. All close games.

They are a very good team.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not on offense. And I'd temper using terms like, "decimated." Ray Lewis had very obviously slipped tremendously, to the point of being a liability. Losing him doesn't make them worse; might even eventually make them better if his replacement is able to cover underneath and tackle people.

Webb is a huge loss. Big, big loss. But bigger than Brian Cushing? I think you'd have a difficult time making that case. Losing Suggs was huge, of course. And the Ravens went 5-1 without him. Now he's back. Reed and Ngata are hobbling; but so are 3,000 other NFL players.

I hate the narrative. It serves only to invalidate the Texans' victory and seeming ironclad hold of the conference. It also dismisses the Cushing loss as if losing a Pro Bowl MLB in his prime is no big deal.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, but didn't they fall behind by 20-ish points in all 3 games? Good teams don't consistently fall behind that much. And late-game "comebacks" after the opponent has more or less packed it up - while legitimate if they're actually able to take a lead - need to be viewed properly as a team chucking its identity and gameplan and throwing out the kitchen sink.

I think the Broncos are... about what their record says they are: average.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And that might still make them the 3rd best team in the AFC. Strange year.

9. rezdawg

A lot of that has to do with Manning...his arm gets stronger as the game goes on. I think as the season progresses, it wont take him as long to start firing the ball like he normally does. In all the games, his throws in the first half are mostly wobblers with air under them...and then in the 3rd and 4th, he starts getting some heat behind his throws.

I think by season's end, he will be playing 60 min of great football.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i think you're confusing a strong second half arm with Denver's defense creating short fields with turnovers. Manning can't seem to keep the broncos in the game if the defense isn't showing up like he did in IND.

#30 macalu, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Falcons had a lot of depth at corner.

The Texans would be in trouble if they lost Joseph for the season.

I think the Broncos are the 2nd best team in the AFC. They've lost 3 games, 2 road games against the Falcons & Patriots, and at home against the Texans. That defense should turn it around, the defense and offense have been terrific in the 2nd half of games.

Patriots are a real threat, and the Steelers can be if fully healthy.

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

By 6, by 12, doesn't matter, they lost. Their only real win was against Pittsburgh, and that's reaching since Pitt isn't what they were a few years about. Awesome, they beat Oakland and SD, real victories there.

They're a good team... a 'very' good team would be reaching.

They have a very easy schedule coming up, only real team is going to be Baltimore. So, I expect to see them in the playoffs with a first round loss.

13. Marteen

Marteen Member

I know it may sound like I'm not a Texans fan, but I'm still not convinced they are TRULY are a contender. Like that guy said, last week's game vs. the Packers showed a glimpse of how better the NFC is than the AFC. I don't get why some people are shoving that game aside "'cuz the game vs. Baltimore is more important".

Yes, the Baltimore game was more important since it was an AFC opponent and could determine home field advantage, but if you want the Texans to win a SB then how would they respond to the team that makes it out of that extremely competitive NFC?

There are 2 games remaining in the schedule I'm looking forward to seeing if the Texans are on the next level. The one vs. the Patriots and Bears. Texans haven't performed well defensively when facing Brees and Rodgers, so I want to see how they perform against another elite QB like Brady. The Bears are another good NFC opponent, good at home too, for the Texans to measure themselves against.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Chapter 3: Bears

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Because the road to the Superbowl goes through the AFC, not the NFC.

How about we just worry about GETTTING to the Superbowl before we start worrying about whether we can win it or not.

It's funny, I have a feeling that even if we win the Superbowl, there are going to be people here (we all know who they are...) saying we're not really a contender unless we repeat.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I understand. You're a Houstonian, so having a dominate sports franchise feels like fool's gold. Every Houston native is feeling this to some degree about the Texans.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If you aren't convinced by now then you never will be. If the Texans aren't TRULY a contender the tell me who is.

18. conquistador#11

the packers looked like the elite of the elite, labeled as one the greatest teams ever in the nfl forum.... and they laid an egg against a team that barely got in. A year prior, Falcons looked unstoppable and they laid an egg to a team that barely made it in.

What I want to see from the Texans is for the o- line to become what they were a year ago, the best o-line in the NFL. If our o line gains that continuity, watch out nfl.

I have faith that wade will have a new game plan and uncharacteristic bone head plays by the D &special teams will not spot the packers points. Again continuity in that o line is the most important thing. Don't care about facing the best qb of all time in cutler and Brady who never get rattled cough baltimore cough ny giants cough.

Last year, the first time we faced Baltimore, they broke through the lines and ambushed us. The second time, both the o-line and the d-line decimated the Ravens' lines. Unfortunately our 3rd String ROOKIE only had 235 yards 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. ahhh sorry those were Brady's numbers. :p

19. Raven

Raven Member

There are no favorites. The NFL should be called the National Parity League, where there are always five or six teams that can win it all. This season, the Texans are one of those teams, which is good enough for me. The GB game was simply facing an elite level QB who brought his A game. When that happens, there really isn't much you can do about it.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

We're the favorites to play in the AFC Championship (at the least) which means ONLY 1 of 2 teams in that game can make it to the Super Bowl...BUT we're not a contender?! hell, just playing in the Divisional playoff games makes you a contender.

W...T...F...logic?