1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Puma Retires

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Jan 29, 2014.

1. msn

msn Member

If argue they wouldn't.

Do the research. I think you may be surprised. Even Hall of Famers.

oh calm down; you and Nick have a solid argument based on statistics. It's hard for me not to consider the full body of Ryan's work, and that shouldn't be the case--but it's really hard to ignore. For their career, Roy isn't in Ryan's league. He's just not. Like I said, I'd be more easily talked out of including Ryan than talked into including Oswalt.

2. msn

msn Member

...should read, "I'd argue..."

By the way, JR Richard doesn't get nearly enough love. If the stroke doesn't happen, he arguably ends up as a Hall of Fame lock. Dude was flat-out dominant.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd take a healthy Richard in his prime over almost any pitcher.

4. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Fun fact: I was playing in a little league game many years ago and he happened to be at a game when I hit my first home run. I don't even think I waited for the game to end before I asked for his autograph on that ball. I would have needed to hit a few more give him a handful.

5. Nick

Nick Member

43 players total. Kind of surprised that some older franchises like the Phillies and Pirates have only had 1 guy each to accomplish the feat. The Cardinals have only had 2, one of them being Pujols. The Cleveland Indians and Oakland Athletics have none.

Atlanta Braves - Hank Aaron / Andruw Jones / Chipper Jones / Eddie Mathews / Dale Murphy

New York Yankees - Yogi Berra / Joe DiMaggio / Lou Gehrig / Mickey Mantle / Babe Ruth

Boston Red Sox - Dwight Evans / Jim Rice / Ted Williams / Carl Yastrzemski

Chicago Cubs - Ernie Banks / Ron Santo / Sammy Sosa / Billy Williams

San Francisco Giants - Barry Bonds / Willie Mays / Willie McCovey / Mel Ott

Baltimore Orioles - Eddie Murray / Cal Ripken

Chicago White Sox - Paul Konerko / Frank Thomas

Cincinnati Reds - Johnny Bench / Frank Robinson

Detroit Tigers - Norm Cash / Al Kaline

Houston Astros - Jeff Bagwell / Lance Berkman

Los Angeles Dodgers - Gil Hodges / Duke Snider

Seattle Mariners - Ken Griffey / Edgar Martinez

St. Louis Cardinals - Stan Musial / Albert Pujols

Colorado Rockies - Todd Helton

Kansas City Royals - George Brett

Minnesota Twins - Harmon Killebrew

Philadelphia Phillies - Mike Schmidt

Pittsburgh Pirates - Willie Stargell

Of the above players, there are only a handful of retired players who don't have their jerseys retired by the team they accomplished the feat with, and weren't implicated in a steroid scandal. That includes Dwight Evans, Norm Cash, Gil Hodges, Andruw Jones, and Edgar Martinez. Martinez is surprising since the Mariners are a relatively young franchise with zero retired numbers thus far... but him being a career DH may impact things. Andruw Jones just recently retired... I could see the Braves retiring his number.

The others all played for three historic franchises (Red Sox, Tigers, Dodgers) that simply have too many great players to automatically induct them, but it still wouldn't offend anybody.

Also, of note, all current hall of famers who qualified for this stat did have their jersey's retired by their teams.

Of course, guys like Sosa and Bonds may never get the honor (although I feel Bonds will eventually get it).

Pujols, Griffey, Helton, and Frank Thomas are all locks. I feel Berkman should be a lock as well... Konerko doesn't "seem" like a lock, but when its all said and done, he'll be pretty high up there with the all-time greats.

#85 Nick, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. Buck Turgidson

Cocaine's a hell of a drug. See Cedeno, Cesar (the most talented Astro ever)

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Cedeno probably hit the shortest in the air grand slam ever.

8. msn

msn Member

duly noted! I expected something a bit different. You also make a good point about the storied franchises.

That said, I guess if Lance were elected to the HoF then I'd be inclined to retire his jersey.

as if it were up to me.

9. juicystream

juicystream Member

And ERA+ reflects that, but also

1866Ks >>>> 1593Ks (and that is with Ryan pitching 80 innings fewer)

Ryan also led the league in ERA twice as an Astro (Oswalt led once).

I'd agree that Oswalt had the greatest Astros career of any pitcher though. Ryan obviously gets benefit for his whole career, and the fact that he was shown the door by McMullen.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Other than longevity (which isn't unimportant, especially given how effective Ryan was into his 40s), what are you basing that on? Oswalt had a significantly better ERA+ and WAR (as an Astro; in roughly the same number of innings)... he didn't strike batters out at the same rate, of course - but he also walked significantly fewer (nearly 3 less/game).

I'm not denigrating Ryan (you almost *have* to retire his jersey); I just think you're underrating Oswalt - he was a *much* better Astro pitcher than Ryan was, and while Ryan has a lot of cool ancillary accomplishments - were any bigger than game 6?

In terms of merit, I think the Astros' retired jerseys should look like this:
    1. Bagwell
    2. Berkman
    3. Oswalt
    4. Biggio
    5. Dierker
    6. Wynn
    7. Cruz

And that's where I'd draw the line (although, again - I'm cool with Ryan: if a future HOFer plays for your franchise - while still in his prime and for more than a cup of coffee (so no, Randy Johnson)... then you probably have to retire the number.)

11. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Oswalt before Biggio? Did you watch the Astros? Berkman was a decent player, but above Biggio? Come on man...

12. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros need to decide how they want to handle this. They can have an Astros Hall of Fame or Ring of Honor.... or they can just retire a number of guys numbers. I personally would rather see the jersey retirement be limited to a very selective group.

Bagwell, Biggio, Richard, Ryan, Wagner, Oswalt all deserve some degree of honor..... in that group I think that Biggio and Bagwell deserve to have their numbers retired regardless of how exclusive they want number retirement. Both are Hall of Famers regardless of the criteria you wish to use. At this point Jeff Bagwell is criminally underrated.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Berkman was decent? His OPS+ is 3 points behind Bagwell's; he was not "decent" - he's one of the greatest switch-hitters of all-time and an infinitely better player than Craig Biggio. It's a shame you don't have a greater appreciation for him because that dude could rake.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Oh, and as for Oswalt v. Biggio - Oswalt was a terrific pitcher; he contributed 49.9 WAR to Biggio's 64.9 despite 10 fewer seasons (WAR is a counting stat). Biggio was average, or worse (far more often worse), for the final seven years of his career. He was certainly great in his prime, and I think he's a Hall of Famer. But I don't think he was better than Oswalt (though I respect some of Biggio's ancillary accomplishments, in terms of playing his whole career here, etc.)

If you want to flip-flop 'em, whatever. But no way Biggio was better than Berkman.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Geez, retiring numbers isn't just about sabremetrics.

16. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Amen. There is the allure of the player, and Biggio was undoubtedly the heart and soul of the Astros while being one of the best second basemen to play the game. Granted, his stats will get him in to the HOF, but there was so much more to him than just numbers.

I was unaware that decent was a bad term for a player? And before you jump to conclusions about people's thoughts on players, Berkman is one of my favorite Astros and II have actually gotten to know on a few different occasions through events. He is a terrific baseball player and a better human being. And I know, it's the internet: serious business.

17. msn

msn Member

The only universe in which Berkman is better than Biggio is the one where baserunning and defense don't count. (and a lot of guys tail off at the end of their careers: what would Berkman look like if he carried on another seven years?)

Biggio is a no-doubt hall-of-famer. Berkman is a really great hitter.

18. msn

msn Member

nothing other than longevity. for one thing, that's how big I see longevity in terms of a career. secondly, that particular comment was in reference to their entire careers. I won't argue with you guys about the stats during the two's Astros careers: you are right.

but in terms of a career: Roy doesn't belong in the same sentence with Nolan Ryan. He just doesn't.

19. msn

msn Member

yes. for a player like Lance Berkman, "decent" is a bad term. I realize from your context what you really meant, but great players are great, not decent. and while I agree with you regarding Biggio's stature over Berkman, make no mistake: Lance Berkman was great.

20. boozle222

boozle222 Member

I feel like I was bickering with another kid, and then MSN came in and cleared it up and set the facts straight. Ha.

As for the decent bit, I mean in regards to all time greats. I assume that this conversation (retired numbers and HOFers) would assume that it was in that context. Berkman is a fit for someone that should have their number retired, and that is all I meant by that. He will go down as one of the best switch hitters the game has seen, and I respect that. He is decent as far as great players go :)