1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BIG MISTAKE !!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

To start off with Jalen Green is a Shooting Guard, Certainly not a Point guard.
    Dreadful play book for the Rockets , players were being shoveled in & out of the game.
    Why were two of our best player left till near the end of the game ,
    The Rockets Head Coach need to revamp his thinking !!!!!!!!!! Y

2. YaosDirtyStache

I miss Yao and I miss Tmac.

Dollar Store Clearance Yao and Tmac= Jabari and Green.

Jontro likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Man, this game was so bad it brought back Yetti. :oops:

Easy, Amel, conquistador#11 and 17 others like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yetti sightings are indeed rare.

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

+1

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Abominable!

Even forced a Mango post in the forum. Even if it was just some math.

Easy, Jontro, napalm06 and 2 others like this.
  7. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

All that offseason work and he still plays out of control most of the time. I can't believe some people compare him to Beal

8. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right now Jalen is more like Luther Head and Jabari like a dollar store Ryan Bowen

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

10. Mango

I hope that they bring Sachin Gupta back since the crew Minnesota imported from Denver might have marginalized him in the Timberwolves FO.

I miss having sharp people in the FO. But Tilman might not want those type of people around.

#10 Mango, Oct 25, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    napalm06 likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From what I recall Gupta was really highly-regarded, but from what I also recall, he got some hefty titles/promotions once Rosas was given the boot from the TWolves. I don't know how he feels about his situation nowadays and didn't know about him being neutered in the TWolves' front office.

The problem for us is that bringing someone really good in won't necessarily fix past mistakes. I also don't know what kind of power Ime wields in the FO. He's the coach, but he seems to have a lot of veto power from everything I'm reading and guessing.

12. kumizi

kumizi Member

He’s not the one that whiffed on multiple top 3 picks.

Salvy likes this.
  13. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

true hes just the dumb**** who thought it would be a good idea to hire a lawyer to be the gm of a basketball team

14. OpportunityCost

Jabari and Green are busts. Way to go Stone, not! Someone tell Silas to take off his Ime Udoka mask.

15. Mango

Gupta was designated to be in charge after the outgoing owner got rid of Rosas. The incoming owners wanted to make a splash and brought in Tim Connelly as President of Basketball Operations.

Even though Sachin Gupta is Director of Basketball Operations, I have him below Connelly on their Org Chart.

I don't know to what extent Sachin is marginalized/neutered, but Conelly did bring in several Denver people rather than adjust and accept the staff that Rosas & Gupta had put together.

If the right opportunity comes along, I would leave if I was Gupta. Of course there would be the hurdle of getting permission to talk to Gupta, but Connelly could just promote one of his buddies that he brought in from Denver to replace Gupta.

https://basketball.realgm.com/staff/Sachin-Gupta/Summary/1715

Director of Basketball Operations of the Minnesota Timberwolves since Sep 22, 2021 (Promoted).
    Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations of the Minnesota Timberwolves from Jul 30, 2019 (Hired) to 2022 (Promoted).
    Assistant General Manager of the Detroit Pistons from Aug 7, 2018 (Hired) to 2019.
    Special Advisor of the Houston Rockets from 2017-2018 to 2017-2018.
    Vice President of Basketball Operations of the Philadelphia Sixers from 2014-2015 (Hired) to 2016-2017.
    Basketball Operations Salary Cap Analyst of the Houston Rockets from 2009-2010 (Promoted) to 2011-2012.
    Basketball Technology Developer of the Houston Rockets from 2008-2009 (Hired) to 2008-2009 (Promoted).

Before he came to the NBA, he was with ESPN and created the ESPN Trade Machine.

Les Alexander had a background trading options & bonds, so I think that made him comfortable with the
    numbercrunchers like Morey.

Since Gupta has history with Morey, I think that Tilman wouldn't want to bring him in.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I have no doubt about Gupta's aptitude from everything I've read (assuming true). Morey loved the guy and gave him all kinds of credit during his time here and people said the same of him while he was with the Sixers.

Mango likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

18. Mango

Sachin Gupta: Journey of the Indian-American from Boston to President of Basketball Operations for the Timberwolves

Monte McNair (Sacramento Kings)

McNair grew up in Oak Park, California, and attended Oak Park High School.[4]

McNair earned a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from Princeton University in 2006. While attending college, McNair was a wide receiver on the football team.[5] From 2006 to 2007, he was a sports programmer and researcher at STATS LLC.[6]

In 2007, McNair joined the Houston Rockets as the basketball operations senior analyst. McNair was then promoted to director of basketball operations in 2013, VP of basketball operations in 2016, and assistant GM in 2018. While working for the Rockets team, his organization reached the NBA playoffs for eight consecutive years, including two Western Conference Finals appearances.[7] Highly regarded executive Daryl Morey (who was the president of basketball operations of the Rockets at this time) said in 2018, "Monte has been absolutely critical to the success of the Rockets over his long tenure."

19. TimDuncanDonaut

Jokes aside:

Yao and Tmac (2004 - 2009). W/L percentage averaged roughly to 48 wins. ((.622+.415+.634+.671+.646+.512)/6)*82.
    A 48 wins team in last season (2022-23), would have been a 3rd seed in the west. (nuggets 53, grizz 51, kings 48).
    Both guys are in the hall of fame.

Current team is far from that.

Players projections are skewed if fan base only focus on ceiling (or floor). Reality is always somewhere in the middle. At this point in their careers, to put their names against some of Rocket's greats is kinda irresponsible.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Offense is really going to struggle, that was the worst performance out of all the NBA games so far.

14 Games.

napalm06 likes this.