1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Government: Mullah Omar captured

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, May 11, 2010.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

haven't seen this anywhere else, but i doubt Breitbart publishes this story w/o the confirmation below. seems the paks have had him for 6 weeks or so.

wonder if he was mirandized?

[rquoter]EXCLUSIVE: Mullah Omar Captured!
    by Brad Thor

Through key intelligence sources in Afghanistan and Pakistan, I have just learned that reclusive Taliban leader and top Osama bin Laden ally, Mullah Omar has been taken into custody.

According to the State Department’s Rewards for Justice Program there is a bounty of up to $10 million on Omar for sheltering Osama bin-Laden and his al-Qaeda network in the years prior to the September 11 attacks as well as the period during and immediately thereafter.

At the end of March, US Military Intelligence was informed by US operatives working in the Af/Pak theater on behalf of the D.O.D. that Omar had been detained by Pakistani authorities. One would assume that this would be passed up the chain and that the Secretary of Defense would have been alerted immediately. From what I am hearing, that may not have been the case.

When this explosive information was quietly confirmed to United States Intelligence ten days ago by Pakistani authorities, it appeared to take the Defense Department by surprise. No one, though, is going to be more surprised than Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It seems even with confirmation from the Pakistanis themselves, she was never brought up to speed.

Over the weekend, Clinton accused Pakistani Government officials of “holding back” on bin Laden intelligence. In an interview Sunday on CBS “60 Minutes,” she said:

“I believe that somewhere in this government are people who know where Usama bin Laden and Al Qaeda is, where Mullah Omar and the leadership of the Afghan Taliban is, and we expect more cooperation to help us bring to justice, capture or kill those who attacked us on 9/11.”

They know all right and so do we, at least when it comes to Mullah Omar. We have known since the end of March and we had it confirmed ten days ago by the Pakistanis. So why didn’t the State Department and the CIA know?
    Developing.[/rquoter]

2. mc mark

mc mark Member

Maybe they were saving him for a November surprise?

It's what the criminal Bush would have done.

3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

since he was in Pakistan, I'm sure he wasn't. Though if he had been, it would still be great.

Pull your panties out of a wad. The constitution can actually work, you don't need to be scared of it.

4. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

i wasn't aware the constitution covered foreign nationals on foreign soil.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

It obviously doesn't, which is the reason he wasn't given Miranda rights. You are being intellectually dishonest, which I guess shouldn't surprise anyone anymore.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That's why I said initially that he wasn't read the miranda rights. But since you were trying to make a clever jab at terror suspects in the US being read their miranda rights, I just thought I'd address that part. After all, you were the one who brought up the miranda rights comment.

So addressing that issue, what I said makes perfect sense. Or if it makes you feel better you can still pretend it was someone from the NY Times talking to you, instead of me.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

We caught Mullah Omar?

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Technically, the Pakistanis caught him, but the good news is that he has been caught.

9. glynch

glynch Member

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

This hasn't been confirmed by any major news service.

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

This is how I feel.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

I'm guessing that as soon as this is confirmed on another blog, basso will come back to say "I told you so."

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I'm still waiting for confirmation of this explosive item. Thanks basso for the heads up!

14. Codman

Codman Member

Well, this is his only lifeline.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Too bad its not true, wouldve been good news. :(

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/p...tani_official_no_we_didnt_capture_mullah_omar

Pakistani official: No, we didn't capture Mullah Omar

Despite what you might have read, the Pakistani government did not arrest Taliban leader Mullah Omar, a senior Pakistani government official confirms to The Cable.

"Neither the U.S. government nor the Pakistani government are saying this is true and it is not true," the official said, adding that he was never captured by the Pakistani military or intelligence services and is not in Pakistani custody.

"It just doesnt make sense that we would arrest a man and keep it a secret," the official went on, saying the reports by online sites including Big Government and The Jawa Report are totally off the mark.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton doesn't believe that Omar is captured, but she did say recently that she thinks the Pakistanis have some information on his whereabouts that they aren't sharing with the U.S.

"I believe that somewhere in this government are people who know where Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda is, where Mullah Omar and the leadership of the Afghan Taliban is, and we expect more cooperation to help us bring to justice, capture or kill those who attacked us on 9/11," she said Sunday on CBS 60 minutes.

The White House declined to comment on the reports of Omar's capture.

16. Apps

Apps Member

Gee, no duh. Do Americans still actually believe Pakistan is giving us the whole story here (and not just in regard to Mullah Omar)? That place is like a training ground for Wahabbis, why would they reveal compromising information to the United States, of all places?

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I am *SHOCKED* that a news source as credible as Breitbart totally dropped the ball on this.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Surely basso can find another blogger to refute this refutation and restore his reputation. We're all counting on it...

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Member