1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Brown Can he win the triple crown

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by pirc1, May 17, 2008.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Extremely impressive today, looks like he would be the odds on favorite to win the triple crown.

2. Locke

Locke Member

Yeah I just signed up for the Belmont lottery.

3. pirc1

He was 5-1 today what would it be for Belmont? 4-1 3-1? How much do you get for a buck on odds like that?

4. Anticope

Anticope Member

That overhead shot that they keep showing of Big Brown pulling away at the end is just incredible. He seems to be much more legitimate than the last few horses that have gone for the triple crown, however, the Belmont is a whole different animal than the Derby or Preakness.

5. pirc1

Looks like he wasn't even trying super hard, I think he could race even better than today. Just looks like he was a totally different breed of animal.

6. tulexan

tulexan Member

He was actually 1-5 today. Which means that if you bet $1 you get $1.20

7. pirc1

So what would the odds be if bet 1 get 1?

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I heard an interview yesterday from a racing handicapper that said that the Preakness was a total mismatch, and that there were basically no good horses in this race except for Big Brown. He cited that besides Big Brown, there was only one other horse that has broken a Speed Figure of 100 (racing fans can probably explain how that works, but I'm assuming it essentially means that they aren't that fast). So take that for whatever it's worth.

9. pirc1

If there weren't any good horse at preakness why would there be good horse at belmont? I assume good horse would want to race in preakness? Maybe this is just a down year for horses?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I just happened to catch the Preakness while sitting in Laser Zone. That was complete domination. Either Big Brown is an awesome horse or this is a down year.

11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

If he continues to dominate the field his fate is sealed

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't know. I don't really know that much about horse racing. I just found it interesting that this guy (Andy Beyer I believe it was) totally called it.

13. Locke

Locke Member

No...I mean I sent in a fax for the lottery for the $40 tickets at the Belmont in 3 wks.

Its only a few train stops away from the city.

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

A horse from Japan is supposed to really push Big Brown in the Belmont. He didn't ride in either of the first two legs of the triple crown.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Big Brown's overall time was good compared with past winners -- he is the first horse i've ever seen jog (trot) 3/4 of the race before turning it on and blowing the field away. Well, he wasn't trotting - but the jockey was reigning him in for at least the first half of the race. I think he is going to take the triple crown this year -- first time in 30 years.

16. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I was watching "Real Sports" last night and at the close of the show, Gumble said that Big Brown's trainer had been busted at least once a year since 2000 for doping horses.

Here's a story about it.

Big Brown's legal doping a concern
    BY JERRY BOSSERT in Baltimore and CHRISTIAN RED in New York
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS
    Friday, May 16th 2008, 9:39 AM
    Daily News

A week before Big Brown bolted out of the gates at Churchill Downs from the outside post and raced to a thrilling Kentucky Derby victory, the colt’s trainer Rick Dutrow Jr. revealed a little secret.

“I give all my horses Winstrol on the 15th of every month,” Dutrow told the Daily News. “If (the authorities) say I can’t use it anymore, I won’t.”

In any sport involving humans, a declaration of the use of a powerful steroid like Winstrol would set off alarms and public outrage, given the fallout from recent doping scandals in sports, and as Dutrow and Big Brown head into tomorrow’s Preakness, questions have surfaced about the trainer’s use of the drug.

In fact, if Big Brown were racing in one of the 10 states that have adopted the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium’s model rule allowing the use of four anabolic steroids, including Stanozolol (Wistrol’s formal name), for therapeutic uses only, Big Brown might have run into trouble with the doping police, says Dr. Scot Waterman, the RMTC’s executive director.

“If one of (Dutrow’s) horses were running in (those 10 states) with a dose on the 15th, he’d probably have a positive,” said Waterman. “That type of use is what moved us to begin the process we began a couple years ago. It’s not just (Dutrow). There was evidence that these products were being overused or abused.”

The RMTC, which was established in 2000 after an American Association of Equine Practitioners summit, has pushed through its model rule in 10 of the 38 states that feature horse racing. Similar to baseball, where players must get a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) in order to use banned substances for medical needs, a veterinarian treating a horse with any one of those four steroids approved by the RMTC must submit a Medication Report Form, if the horse is competing in the 10 states (Arizona, Colorado, Washington, Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Delaware) that have adopted the rule.

“We’re pretty confident that all of the states will be done with the rule-making process by the end of this year,” Waterman said.

Questions about horse racing’s doping culture and overbreeding reverberated through the sport after the filly Eight Belles collapsed from two broken front ankles as she galloped past the finish line in second place in the Derby. Larry Jones, her trainer, has adamantly insisted she was not on steroids.

17. pirc1

Great :(

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is also among the weakest fields we've seen in quite some time. We had only 2 horses going in today's Preakness that also ran the Derby. When War Pass went down before the Derby, it took away the only real legit threats.

I'm not taking anything away from Big Brown, though...winning the TC is hugely impressive. But it's very different from the fields we've had for quite some time.

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm betting Big Puma is gonna take it.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I missed this post...my thoughts exactly.

There are usually at least 3 horses in each TC leg that you feel are dangerous horses...that could win any of the legs. There were really only 2 I'm aware of that were getting that kind of billing...War Pass and Big Brown. War Pass would have been the favorite in the Derby, but he was injured and couldn't go.

I'll say this though...as impressive as today was, I was even more impressed with Big Brown in the Derby. He ran the outside for virtually the entire race, and still managed to win by over 4 lengths. I'll be excited to see a horse win a TC...but I don't think we're looking at a horse that's any better than Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, Barbaro or even Rockhard Ten from the last 4 years or so.