1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Bob currently under fire: "Cant let the inmates run the prison"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Oct 27, 2017.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The NFL is smart enough to know what is racist or not. This comment was clearly not and if anyone thinks otherwise then I feel bad for them.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You might be the dumbest person I've ever had the pleasure of talking to. You can't comprehend a conversation, I can't communicate with you. That
    You might actually be the dumbest person I've ever had the pleasure of having a conversation with.
    That quoted text was a response to someone saying that McNair quote was racist, so I asked if he singled out black players. The next part is not referring to the players. It's referring to anyone getting upset over a phrase.

Once again, ad hominem attacks and name calling doesn't get you anywhere. Showing who you are with "FUC"&&BOI" talk.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, he was talking about the players as a whole, not just one group even if you wish that were the case. C'mon, you've gotta be better than this.

What McNair said was not only inoffensive, it was 100% accurate.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When your ignorance as to the meaning of a common idiom leads you to walk out on your team and say a bunch of stupid things to the media, it's acting like an ass. There's just no way to get around that.

I fully understand how someone ignorant to the meaning of an idiom could take it the wrong way....but they should be a bit embarrassed once they eliminate that ignorance.

5. tmacfor35

If a black owner makes these comments, then what would be the backlash here? Time for perspective.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a very good point. It's interesting that those who try to paint what he said as racist are judging judging him through the lens of bigotry.

7. tmacfor35

That is exactly what this is and the point I was trying to get at. I have seen two levels of stupid on this thread.

8. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Wow minority man with no college education confirmed.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty bad when you see comments formatted like this "Of course he's (negative thing), he's (color of his skin) and from (where he's from)"

I mean, I don't think there's any way you can fill that out without making an outright racist statement by definition.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

McNair kind of looks like a warden (or what I would expect one to look like anyway). Very poor choice of words; sounds old school.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

As a nfl chairman with nfl players it is wrong to use the figure of speech phrase you cannot let the inmates run the prison to the nfl players. No matter how you twist to make it right it's wrong to say.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As an NFL owner, with NFL players, it wasn't wrong to use that idiom given that it was true. If you let the players do whatever the hell they want, it will lead to chaos. That's what the idiom means, that's what he was saying, and it was 100% correct.

The players only care about their short term interests and whims, if allowed to do whatever the hell they want, there might not be an NFL in 20 years.

You simply have no argument against anything I just said.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Then he would be looked at as a coon... pretty simple.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The players have there place/role in the business that is true. But usingthe word inmates to compare figure of speech or not that's not right. That's like a farmer telling a cop on a traffic stop, "i live on farm and i kill pigs everyday for a living." It can be taken the wrong way.

15. tmacfor35

I doubt it. Something tells me the quote would have been labeled as what it was like it should have been for McNair.

16. tmacfor35

But there is no reason for the context of "i live on farm and i kill pigs everyday for a living" to ever come up.

McNair was talking about his business and that was relevant to the conversation at the time. You aren't making sense.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nope what you think most blacks think of Whitlock on espn??? Today's society is quick to label you and put you in a category.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"I live on farm and I kill pigs every day for a living" isn't an idiom...so yeah, that's not really a comparable situation.

Also, only an idiot takes an idiom literally. Unfortunately, Bob McNair was speaking to a group that included idiots.

csj likes this.
  19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

White demonssss!!!!!!!!! White demonssss!!!

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Whether people know it or don’t want to accept it or not but the players DO have all the POWER.