1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Bell food items

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Fatty FatBastard

OK, for anyone who doesn't know this yet, I'm a fast food junkie. If anything, and I mean roughly anything, comes out as "new" at a fast food restaurant, I'm there. I'm the quintessential "Limited time only" junkie. I've had a McRib every summer. Hell, you could advertise a "limited time only" offer at Burger king that said "WHOPPER DELUXE WITH EXTRA PICKLES" and I'd go try it. (quick aside, the Thick and hearty Whataburger is awesome)

Now..... for the new "Big Bell Menu".

Good strategy, good idea, and about damn time I don't have to buy 5 knick knack foods for 4.50 to be done eating. Though I always get a Meximelt. Can't get enough of those bastards.

The menu goes like this, (in order of fatty's preference):

6:Caramel Apple Empanada: Dude, if I wanted dessert, I'm not going to Taco Bell. Besides, in Lubbock they offer the Choco Taco. Nuff said.

5:1/2 pound bean burrito especial: Unless you really like the taste of the old bean burrito, only now it has more beans, I highly discourage. A gastronomical nightmare waiting to happen. Now, if they were only willing to double, or even triple the cheese..... I might reconsider on those lonely nights at home. But for now, pass.

4:Grande soft taco: Now, although this is recommended, it falls to #4 for a couple of reasons. #1: Although I love Taco Bell meat, too much of it in one taco can be a bad thing. Too salty, and the nacho cheese crap that some Dallas vendor schlepped on these guys asses needs to stop. Memo to Taco Bell: That crappy cheese will last forever and is resellable. So sell your MRE cheese to some little league in Paraguay. In the long run, it will help.

3:Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes: These remind me an AWFUL lot of the Cheese and sour cream wedgies at Jack in the Box. Biggest difference? Jack charges nearly twice what the folks at Taco Bell do. It's all going down the same chute! If you like Jack's wedges, and are fine that the sour cream is on there initially, I just saved you a buck. Put it in the tip jar.

2:1/2 pound combo burrito: Not much to say about this little donkey than this: Can you handle a Burrito Supreme without sour cream? You can? Great! I put 50 cents back in your pocket. Hell, I just let you buy that Meximelt you were always curious about. Go ahead! Indulge! I won't tell.

and the best damn thing to eat that is new at Taco Bell is:

1/2 pound BEEF AND POTATO BURRITO: This is, by far and away, the best thing on Taco Bell's menu since the Meximelt. At $1.29, two of these will fill you up, no matter how humongously obese you are, and they rock. I highly suggest everyone on a high-carb diet like myslf to try it out.

And that is it. I'll be back when KFC comes out with their new "lowCarb" Fried Chicken.

2. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

sorry bro too much to read

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

The cheesey fiesta potatoes are AWESOME!

4. Fatty FatBastard

You've not been around here long enough, I'm the fast food king!

5. Fatty FatBastard

Still nothing compared to the new beef and potato burrito, in my opinion. But they are good, I'll give you that.

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

You are dead-on about the Beef and Potato burrito!! I was worried about trying one, b/c I always get really sick with breakfast burritos (potato and egg), and I figured maybe the potato would have the same effect in this. Glad I decided to try it anyways -- WOW!! The only thing on the menu that's better is the Cheesy Gordita Crunch.

Oh, and the Caramel Apple Empanada is really good -- would be AWESOME with ice cream!!

7. Fatty FatBastard

You know I don't do people wrong on fast food! If you can eat it, I'll show you the path, my son.:D

8. Fatty FatBastard

Also Ven, I've never tried the cheesy Gordita Crunch. Again, I've not been happy with the Dallas ass crappy cheese sauce since, and I'm guessing, never.

Have you tried the meximelt? The one true honest to goodness tex-mex thing they've been right with?

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

The Cheesy Gordita Crunch doesn't use any of that nasty cheese sauce -- basically, it's a taco (with this awesome sauce in it) that has melted cheese on the sides of it -- that cheese acts as an adhesive for a gordita "flatbread" thing. It's the greatest fast food thing I've ever had. Next time you go, get one -- don't put any hot-sauce on it. It's like the fast-food version of <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox">Firefox</a>, it's so good ;)

Haven't had the Meximelt, I don't think -- do they still offer it?

While we're on the fast-food topic, what are your top 5 items? I'm a fast-food junkie too (wish I weren't -- I once went a year without FF, then I fell back into it. I keep trying to quit, but I can't keep it up)

For me (based on taste + price):
    1. Cheesy Gordita Crunch -- Cheap (1.29), and OH SO GOOD -- Best Fast food item ever, IMO.
    2. Jumbo Jack -- 1.29 - now THAT is a Tasty burger!
    3. 1/4 Pound Texas Double Cheeseburger (Wendy's) -- They just raised the price to 1.29, but it's still worth it. I hate going to Wendy's outside of Texas b/c they don't have it.
    4. White Castle Sack of 10 -- share it with a friend and it's just the greatest thing ever. I don't care how much it costs (no idea). Wish they had White Castles in Houston (or even the Southern Equivalent -- Krystal)
    5. Beef and Potato Burrito -- This'll probably fade, and something more established (Jack 99 cent chicken sandwich?) will take it's place, but right now, I'm all over this thing!!

10. Fatty FatBastard

Vengeance:

On your word, I'll try the gordita crunch. Most, if not all, should still have the Meximelt. (I'll be honest, it's the size of a soft taco, but it is awesome)

(also, White Castle's don't count in this neck of the woods, son! Krystal's is the place down her...!)

My fab five would be:

5: Burger KIng: Triple Cheeseburger: That was the best bang for the buck that BK, or any place at the time, offered.

4:James Coney Island's Cheese Dog..... ALL THE WAY!: This is, believe it or not, a Houston dog. Love it. Live it. Learn it.

3:Whataburger's "Thick'n'Hearty Burger: Sure... it's a heart attack waiting to happen..... which is why I won't buy one after 50.

(Word to the youngun's my intestines have NEVER been the same after whiskey and bean burritos for three years. Listen to your parents!)

2:Taco Bell's new Potato Burrito: I can honestly say that I could eat these until I die, or become a fatty.

1:And until I find a better "fast food" burger, my fav will still be the.........

Ultimate Cheeseburger on Sourdough bread: Unless I'm at Bellaire Broiler Burger, this is the best sandwich on the planet. You DO have to specify (and to the BBS users here that work at Jack in the Box, I've got no regrets, you're still losers) But they'll do it with, I believe a 30 cent charge. It is worth it.

Now, if you want to know my true eateries, I'll post that later, but, for now, that's my top 5.

11. BigM

BigM Member

the cheesy gordita crunch is the best thing taco bell has right now, oh so good. i tried the grande soft taco because the picture looks like an even bigger gordita crunch but it's definitely not recommended. like fatty said i have no idea whats up with that nacho sauce. and it really does have too much meat for it's size.

taco bell used to have this ceasar stuffed chicken burrito that was one of the greatest things i've ever tasted but i think it lasted like 2 weeks before it got pulled and they say they don't have the stuff to make it anymore.

12. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Member

The Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes were FANTASTIC. I was expecting something nasty and soogy like you would normally get from fast food, but no, these were great!

And if you didn't try the Apple Empanada's you really should because they were damn tasty, they had a great flavor to them, definetly not just some generic fried apple taste.

And to me the Beef and Potato burrito had a little too much potato to it, but they're trying to fill you up so that's probably the point. My problem may have been that I had already eaten a cup of those potatoes, three crunchy tacos, and a mexican pizza before tackling that one; probably would have loved it if I was starving.

13. Kam

Kam Member

I am starting to hate Taco Bell. It might be because I eat there nearly everyday. If i mixed it a bit, maybe i would like Taco Bell beter.

I get sick of eating popeyes, james coney island, luthers, and whatever crap they have laying around in downtown.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Hopefully you will never cross paths with MacBeth...

My favorite out of the new items actually is the Grande Soft Taco. I do like the Cheesy Gordita Crunch better, but the employees seem to mess them up a lot. Sometimes they're good, other times they aren't. Maybe I got a bad batch of the potatoes to, but I didn't like them.

15. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

MacBeth hasn't posted in a long time... maybe he's still reeling from the Vince Carter episode up in Toronton. We may want to make sure he's still alive.

16. Isabel

Isabel Member

mmmm, sounds good. I had been sick of "Taco He!!", but that's an incentive to try it again... especially since, as soon as these restaurants put out their cool new items, they seem to take them away again and leave us with the same boring stuff...

17. Davidoff

Davidoff Member

OMG, this was great....You should get a job doing this some how...

18. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

I think I gained five pounds just reading this thread...

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think I lost 5 just hurling... :D

Taco Hell is just some nasty crap.

20. bejezuz

bejezuz Member

The new Potato burrito replaces the Frito Burrito as my favorite exotic Taco Bell burrito. Though I will have to say that it's hard to beat the standard bean burrito. Perfection in a tortilla.