1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 3 at the Knicks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by woket, Jul 20, 2010.

1. woket

woket Member

Didn't see this being posted anywhere else ... lock or merge if necessary.

I was reading this:
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2010/07/chris_paul_says_hes_concentrat.html
    which led to:
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2010/07/new_orleans_hornets.html

Discuss. May even compare against the other "Big 3" at other places.

Noting a strong(er) Knicks would also devalue our picks in future (from the TMac trade). Refer: http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1552/terms_of_rockets-knicks_draft_picks_swap/

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

CP3 is under contract and they certainly aren't going to trade him to the freaking Knicks who have nothing worth trading for. I'm more worried about Melo heading to the Knicks after this year, but I still think Denver has the edge re-signing him and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

as long as they move to the East.. I don't care. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

It aint gonna happen. CP3 aint a free agent till 2013 and Melo will likely re-sign with the Nuggets.

I hope we can aquire either one of them at the deadline and convince them to sign an extension with us.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. The three musketeers happened because Miami was able to clear space for three max agents. That's impossible for NY now because they have stoudemire already locked to a nice max contract. Even if they purge all their remaining players there still won't be enough space to sign 2 max guys. Melo can go there with Amare for all I care. Let them play all offense and no defense all day long.

CP3 certainly won't be going there. Look for NO to trade him to a team with a lot of assets...preferably us.

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Even though it isn't happening....CP3 w/ Amare would be sick...

7. sbyang

sbyang Member

Love how these guys are using the Knicks and the threat of leaving for NY. It makes them more powerful in trades and potential sign and trades with teams other than the Knicks.

At the end of the day no player that wants to win will go to the Knicks if they can help it. Amare went because the Knicks outbid everyone else by a significant amount.

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

There are a few factors here everyone seems to be keen on ignoring.

(1) Carmelo Anthony will be a free agent next off-season, but the Knicks might not have the cap space to sign him out-right (but they could, seeing as they have Eddy Curry expiring). That means they might have to negotiate a sign-and-trade with Denver if they want him. Good luck with what they have.

(2) Chris Paul is under contract with New Orleans until 2013. If the Knicks want him before that, they're going to have to get a trade done and the Hornets haven't indicated they're willing to trade him. Well, Jeff Bower did, but he got fired, didn't he?

If the Knicks are able to get Carmelo in free agency next season, they'll still be missing Chris Paul. Is Carmelo willing to wait until 2013? Probably not.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

just another reason all of this will be dealt with by the owners in the next collective bargaining agreement.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

CBA changes aside, I think you're underestimating the allure of "something" to a team losing a player.

By which I mean, despite having no assets, Miami signed Bosh and Lebron through sign and trade. Why? Because Toronto and Cleveland at a minimum wanted a trade exception and some future draft picks.

If New York has the space to do so, and Carmelo says he is going to NY regardless, Denver would be foolish to not at least take back a big trade exception.

We saw with Al Jefferson and Utah how quickly and useful a trade exception may be.

11. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

what is basketball coming to?

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think whether or not Melo leaves depends on how the team does, and if he feels they can be a contender there. Knicks would probably have to trade an expiring for Paul, as they're only other asset is Ama're and it would make no sense to trade him for Paul. This trade works:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

However, I think The Hornets would want to dump Okafor. If the knicks were really desperate to get CP3, they could dump their roster to get Okafor and him:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Now, if this is supposed to be next year, like Chris supposedly said, then the Knicks would have to sign and trade someone the Hornets want, because most of their players are going to expire at the end of this year.

Conclusion: It would be extremely difficult for the Knicks to get CP3, and I think it is too early to tell whether or not Melo will leave.

13. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Pretty sure this was posted a week or go or so.

14. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

are all you people just reading this? this was posted over a week or two ago...

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Says the guy with this sig:

:p

16. Vivid

Vivid Member

Well he did say "they might not be able to sign him outright." That would be a different situation entirely compared to what happened in Miami (Miami being able to sign each player outright). It is not inconceivable that New York might not have the cap space to sign Carmelo outright. You've already mentioned the CBA changes that might occur, but that aside, they still need to fill out their roster. As it is, assuming they don't resign Azubuike and Walker, that would leave them with 6 players under contract next year. They would be sitting at 43 million with those six players (assuming anyone else they sign will be to a one year minimum rental this season) which would leave them short of offering Carmelo the max according to this year's salary cap.

here is an article discussing next years free agency:
    http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/19/1561394/2011-nba-free-agents-rankings-carmelo-anthony

The writer seems to be of the opinion that we will not resign Brooks, rather we would use him as part of a package deal this year to either gamble on Anthony or go for broke in a Paul/Okafor type deal. While it is just the musing of fan/blogger, it is interesting to see that idea being thrown around outside of the Clutchfans' fantasy bubble.

17. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

**** needs to stop. Its turning into the WWE.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's a NYC sports media trick... anytime anybody of note is rumored to possibly be moving, and anytime anybody of note comes to NYC for a game or for any other reason, the NY media obsess over the possibility of that guy coming over. It's just what they do. Been going on for years.

Sure CP might to to NY, but look at where all that Lebron "My favorite city in NY and my favorite borough is Brooklyn" talk got them.

I wish media in OKC or MIL star doing the same thing.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Melo will most likely go to the Nets, where in a year after signing with them, he can be back home in Brooklyn.