1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Scraps Aren't So Bad...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

Uh, players get paid now. SEC teams aren't going to get sponsors set up for all 50 guys getting on the field.

Players will take the cash and playing time over the bench time in the sec. Over time the talent will even out somewhat.

Also Nick Saban isn't immortal.

I think your problem is you're short sighted and not factoring in the changes coming.

Do you really think a top recruit is willing to sit on the bench in Missouri for 3 years not getting paid over starting sophomore year at tcu getting a fat check for doing a weekly radio segment?

When people realize there's still talent the tv dollars follow over time. What was Alabama drawing before Saban? Texas now? You think the Longhorn network is around 10 years from now if they aren't in the sec?

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The ACC signed a 20 year deal with ESPN just a few years ago. BIG’s next deal is rumored to pay more than $75M per season. Even if it’s a 5 year deal, that is $375M to each school. So yes hundreds of millions. Even with a raise, the Big 12’s next contract likely won’t be anywhere close to this. And now you are talking about private schools offering cash? That would against NIL just like any public school.

Lol I know who Andy Dalton is. What I don’t know is what the hell he has to do with anything. If he is your example of why the Big 8 aren’t so bad, then not sure what to say to you.

And McLane stadium is not a top 5 stadium. He would tell you that himself. That is not a knock on the stadium either.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  3. Landry's Tooth

I'm done with you if you're going to just play dumb. You're just making assumptions about money decades out.

You're pretending players can't get paid by sponsors.

If you're not going to be serious and just troll I'll block you.

4. MystikArkitect

Did the Big12 even get much worse athletically? If they added Cincinnati and Houston wouldn't that pretty much make up for losing OU? They're both better basketball schools than OU. They have been Top 25 programs in football as well.

The only thing they really lost is brand recognition. But the actual product isn't changing much.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Um. Oklahoma is like a top 10 all time college football program. The last 20 years they have been probably top 5.

Even if UH had won a dozen national titles in basketball they still wouldn't come close to replacing Oklahoma in terms of revenue and football prowess.

6. Landry's Tooth

If the big 12 has been so bad then it seems Oklahoma might not be top 20 let alone top 10...

Can't have it both ways...

7. Landry's Tooth

Hard to find nicest that doesn't include history or size. The Rose Bowl is awful but on most lists because of history...

Most lists are only looking 70k and up...

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/202...-every-college-football-stadium-in-texas-list

8. Landry's Tooth

You may have some recency bias... they had a few stretches for 5 to 10 years but most success has been last 20 under mostly one coach...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma/index.html

9. MystikArkitect

Got it. Oklahoma is a good football school. That's pretty much what's being lost right? OU football?

Speaking specifically from an athletic standpoint. Not revenue.

Going back to the original point, the only real thing being lost by them leaving is OU Football. Nothing else really moves the needle.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh. Lawdt.

Might as well add 1999 Houston Comets to the Big 12.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

OU had Kelvin Sampson BEFORE UH did. UH had to wait until he was kicked out of the league and the stink of cheating wore off before getting him. Blake Griffin. Trae Young. C'mon. Who does UH have? Danuel House? He transferred to the SEC too. Lulzlt!

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

From a purely competitive standpoint, Houston and Cincy are not a huge drop off from Texas and Oklahoma. They clearly aren't the brands of those schools but they generally compete just as much.

I think either the Big 12 does that, then adds the florida schools, then maybe 2 more when the opportunity arises, they could continue existing

I think the more likely scenario is that it dies. West Virginia goes to ACC. Iowa State and Okie to Big 10. We can take the Kansas schools and texas tech out west. Baylor and TCU probably AAC. Dunno who wants them.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't really understand your reductionist thinking. It almost comes off as obtuse.

I can't follow you in either scenario. OU's athletic program capability and their revenue are fairly closely intertwined.

Even if you want to claim the money doesn't matter and that "it's just OU football" and "nothing else moves the needle", you're missing the point that pretty much the football programs are all that really matters... and OU football swings a pretty gigantic schlong around.

I'm the biggest UH homer on this damned BBS and I think it's beyond ridiculous to try to equate UT/OU to UH/UC in any metric.

Can UH compete with OU? Sure. We've seen it happen. The 1970s/80s Cougars were formidable, and we briefly built an elite level program recently. But to achieve that level for a sustained period will take many years in likely a top tier conference. We ain't there yet, not by a long shot.

As for Cinci, I don't think their ceiling in football is as high as UH.

#53 DonnyMost, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    YOLO likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh. Lawdttttt.

What universe am I in?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The universe in which I am no longer the biggest UH homer on this BBS apparently.

Buck Turgidson, mtbrays and Ziggy like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

You're thinking, and it isn't incorrect, is that the brand is what brings in eyeballs and thats all that really matters. That's true.

But looking purely at the product, what is the B12 losing outside of OU football? UT football? A joke. OU basketball? LOL. And it's not like OU was really setting the world on fire during the CFP era anyway.

My point is that losing OU hurts but it's not that bad from a pure product standpoint. You make some new rivalries and you can have a B12 vs SEC type of thing especially if they meet in the CFP. You can replace OU with another couple of schools (it would be imperative to bring in Houston because Baylor and Tech would absolutely lose this recruiting base if UT leaves).

It's really not that bad. UT being gone is a good thing. They didn't do anything outside of create drama and have that one title in 05.

Keeping the B12 together and villifying UT/OU in the eyes of Texas recruits for the next 20 years is worth it.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lawdt

arkoe likes this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

How am I trolling or playing dumb? You asked how hundreds of millions of dollars are involved and I literally showed you the math. Those weren’t even my numbers rather projections from analysts. And this is not an assumption about money decades out, the ACC is 5 years in their 20 year deal that won't end until 2036. The BIG is about to renegotiate their deal at the end of 2023. Which is also before the Big 12's expires (assuming it's still intact) which is another big reason a team like Nebraska, or any P5, is not bolting for them.

Your premise involves a President of a storied program like Nebraska going to their board of regents, sponsors, major donors, fanbase, or whoever to tell them we are going to take a gigantic pay cut to move to a lesser competitive conference because we can't hang in ours. Seriously how do you think that would go? Not joking at all.

All the stuff you mentioned...NIL, private vs. public school, players in the NFL, really doesn't matter when there is this much money involved. Right or wrong, that's where we're at and been at for a long time now.

mtbrays likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

You're basing things on a 20 year deal. What you ignore is the possibility they sign a 5 year deal, product improves and they get a 10 year deal for more... product improves more and they end up on par with the money. It's a short term thinking process you have with long term money. Rights go up over time and the longer the deal the less money you get later.

I'm not following your comment on lesser competitive. Nebraska doesn't really compete in the Big10. That's the point. They are the Orioles in the AL West with 3 teams always above them.

I think you're confused on the money. The players get paid by sponsors. The bench guys aren't getting those bucks. Going to the SEC means waiting in line for years before getting paid. A "lesser conference" with more cash to the players and more playing time will draw recruiting and that will lead to more balance. Look at Jalen Hurd and Jalen Hurts leaving the SEC for the Big 12... and that was before the cash...

20. Landry's Tooth

I'll simplify for you... who is getting paid more cash to do ads for a local car dealership and sign autographs? Backup QB for Alabama who hasn't stepped on the field or starting QB for Texas Tech?