1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Getting on more TVs and Radios in one of the largest TV/Radio Markets in the country is nothing? Sure Big 12 do well here now but SEC has started to take over the Houston area. Planting a Big 12 flag in Houston might not "do anything" right now but it could prevent a SEC takeover which I wouldn't call "nothing."

2. Major

Major Member

Good teams get good ratings. The SEC is only "taking over" because of #1 Alabama while Texas sucks. The non-Alabama SEC games do no better than the Big12 games. UH is doing well in ratings because UH is good now but there are only a handful of teams that bring ratings when they suck, and UH isn't one of them. And a conference has to plan for when teams aren't top-10.

I suspect at the end of the day, the two teams are BYU (national following, history, etc) and something like Cinci, simply to give West Virginia a regional partner. They are kind of isolated out there right now, and too many schools seem wary of adding another Texas school.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I believe it's going to be Cincinnati and Houston.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, probably. Honestly it would probably be better for UH to join a different P5 conference due to how weak the Big 12 is, but they'll take it if they offer first. The Big 12 basically have to offer UH a spot just to prevent them from going elsewhere and finishing the job Texas A&M started in making Houston officially not Big 12 country anymore. Can the Big 12 afford to lose access to the 2nd biggest market in their area? I don't think so.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Have said for two years the Big XII is not the best conference for UH or other teams trying to break into a P5 conference. The Big XII has lost a lot of popularity within the city of Houston and in general, to the SEC. Having TAMU join the SEC only made it worse. The ACC and PAC both are better long term conferences.

Regardless, I am sure UH will gladly take an offer to join the Big XII and do well until the conference implodes.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Fack BYU and their religious discriminating program. 'aint got time for that ****. I'm for Cincy and UH who are very similar inner city Universities that need more rep.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, the Big 12 is the best conference for UH to join for ME. I really don't care to watch UH play a bunch of teams I don't care anything about. I'm really disappointed the Big 12 wants a national footprint for their conference.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think what he was saying is that the Big 12 isn't likely to be around that much longer so it's not the best conference for UH to go to. UH could very easily find themselves looking for a new conference in a few years even if they did accept the Big 12's offer.

It would be best for UH to go to a more stable conference if looking at the long term, but it's best to get into the Big 12 if only looking at the short term.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

I understood what he was saying. I'm saying I'm not interested in watching the hometown team playing schools located a thousand miles away from Houston.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Of course the Big XII isn't the best conference, but it's the only option right now for Houston. Getting into the Big XII and doing well, making more money that they can use to expand facilities and grow their profile also helps them in a few years if the Big XII does fall apart or there is further expansion by a more stable conference.

Years on the sidelines after the fall of the SWC has let Houston really fall. They need to get into the Big XII to start building bigger sports revenue and to rebuild a better profile.

Right now if the SEC for example wanted to add a Texas school and could pick any of them other than UT, I don't think they'd pick UH.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources in college athletics told FOX 26 Sports <a href="https://twitter.com/UHouston">@UHouston</a> is making its presentation to <a href="https://twitter.com/Big12Conference">@Big12Conference</a> officials today in Dallas.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/773620193683582976">September 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. rocketry

rocketry Member

The end.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This from <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonChron">@HoustonChron</a> cartoonist <a href="https://twitter.com/Nick_Anderson_">@Nick_Anderson_</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB">@UHCougarFB</a>, Oklahoma and Big 12 <a href="https://t.co/ihIglbKbtz">pic.twitter.com/ihIglbKbtz</a></p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/773654037384134658">September 7, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Shouldn't that get Nick fired just like the Rockets Twitter dude?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Looks like something Tom Herman would draw in a furrowed eyebrow butthurty stupor.

16. rocketry

rocketry Member

I'm not sure if I'm more offended as a Coog or as a writer. Why do you need "furrowed eyebrow" if you have "butthurty stupor"?

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Why do you feel like it's your duty to respond to every slight in this thread?

18. rocketry

rocketry Member

Why do you feel the need to quote me?

19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Yep. They'd probably pick Rice. Fear the Talon!

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, would they really want a poor man's Vandy?