1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Actually the UH game had a very prime timeslot - it was the first game of the first Saturday of college football opening weekend. No other decent game on at the time....and the rating was about the same as the UT-Austin game in Houston. Plus, UH was playing OU, one of the flagship schools of the Big 12 conference. I guarantee you UH can't pull those numbers without OU in that game - and OU is an existing Big 12 school. Let's talk when the ratings come out for the UH/Lamar game.

2. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Ok, lets do this one-mo-gain:

I'm not sure what mandates "very" prime time. But let there be no doubt - 11 am Saturday morning, with other games on, is less prime time than 6 pm, Sunday night, with no other football.

To remove any tinge of subjectivity: Last year's UT/ND posted a 2.6 Nationally, this years was a 7.0 Nationally. There should now be no doubt about the "very prime time"-ness of said slot.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/09/notre-dame-texas-ratings-abc-highest-overnight-2005/

10% is not "about the same". It's exponentially greater than what would constitute a more standard "about the same" definition of 1%-3%.

See example cited: Cincy vs Iowa/MSU vs OSU/Michigan. RE: Local vs Regional heavyweight pitted vs 2 National Flagships. Losing by 10% isn't acceptable to a top-tier conference. That's how you achieve, and sustain, greatness.

And, love OU all you want, but ND

Thx, but no thx. More interested in Floridian swamp land and Gotham-area bridges than your guarantees.

Why? In industry, it's consensus protocol to use direct comps - not some tangential, barely-there, borderline accident. We've got a direct comp where the UH draw significantly outperformed the UT draw: Opening weekend, Big ticket draws as opponents, headliners in their respective time-slots. despite the National numbers for the UH draw underperforming the UT draw by >40%.

The truth is all there. But don't let that hold you back - I jest I jest. It's never held ya back before, why would it now? :)

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever heard 11 am referred to as "prime time" before.....the crazy nonsense you'll hear when people are trying their best to spin things with absolutely no legitimate way to do so.

4. bigtexxx

dreams2clips-

Do you recognize how ignorant and biased you sound?

UH's biggest ratings game of the season got 12.8 in Houston, and UT-Austin's opener got 11.5. Pretty close, meaning the Big 12 certainly doesn't need UH to have a significant audience in Houston.

Nationally, the UT-Austin/ND game got a 7.0, vs. the 4.0 UH/OU game. Not even close.

5. bigtexxx

First game of a huge Saturday of football's opening weekend. Few other options on.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, the Big 12 needs Rice even less than UH - correct?

7. bigtexxx

If the Big 12 wants to expand tv market audiences, choices like BYU and even Cincy would be far better.

8. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Check the numbers. "...Notre Dame/Texas college football scored a 7.0 overnight rating on ABC Sunday night, the highest for an opening weekend game since Miami/Florida State on the same network in 2005 (7.2). The 7.0 is the second-highest for an opening weekend game on the ESPN family of networks since at least 2004."

What you're calling "UT-Austin's opener" Was the highest rated opening game in 11 years. And, nationally, that has more to do with a Nationally relevant Notre Dame team than UT.

And, inherently, this debunks your connotation of "opener". This will be, by far, the highest rated national game UT plays this year unless they get into the Playoff. And even in THAT context (highest rated opener in 11 years Nationally) UH draw outperformed the UT draw in a mega-market in the BIG 12's backyard.

The SEC and B1G wouldn't stand for that. Even if clever word-play enabled them with some time.

Facts suck man. I mean, you know, when they keep getting in the way and all. Just switch sides, it's awesome when facts go from flummoxing your argument to enhancing it.

9. bigtexxx

^^

Your whole cases rests upon ratings in one single city? ...and one single city that's already in the heart of Big 12 country, given UT-Austin and A&M's ratings in that very same city. Then you try to say the fact that UT-Austin's ratings last night were due to their opponent, yet you conveniently deny that OU helped out UH's ratings? Hypocritical.

You're lost. You're simply a biased coog fan who can't accept reality.

10. the shark

the shark Member

We get it, you don't like UH, and you take any opportunity you can to spew $hit from that miserable misguided piehole of yours to try and belittle UH. This from someone who's a Rice fan, and no doubt a "fan" as you're too freakin stupid to have graduated from there.

First you refer to an 11am game on Saturday MORNING as "prime time", and "few other options on"? Really?

All these games were on during the UH vs OU gm:
    Ohio st vs Bowling Green
    Michigan vs Hawaii
    W. Virginia vs Missouri
    Purdue vs EKU
    Navy vs Fordham
    Maryland vs Howard
    Miss st vs S. Ala
    Northwestern vs W. Mich
    Virginia Tech vs Liberty
    Pitt vs Villanova
    Washington vs Rutgers

Games being televised on Sunday night at the same time as UT vs ND?
    None.

Was Rice getting the $hit kicked out them (46-14) by W.Kentucky even on TV?

I suggest maybe you and Tinman get together and go bowling, and while you're at it you can try to come up with other ways to try and belittle UH (or "Jacksonvile st" as Tinman compared us to). "Jacksonville St" just put a beat down on the #3 team in the country.

To the UT alums/fans on here congrats on a nice win over ND.

11. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Bigtexxx , if you don't get out of here with you're "I hate everything Houston related" ass out of here, Ima have to pay you a little visit.

12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

My posts aren't for you. They are for those who don't have the time to debunk you. They know you are wrong, but they may not find the time or resources to let you know.

My interest in you, specifically, jumped the shark when you began replying to me - with emotion and context, no less. It lets me know you're not a troll. You're just wrong and you indulge in maneuvering around your stance. I know the type. I had more interest when I thought you were merely a troll.

The last degree I received was a Masters from Rice in 2008. Despite living in the city for 28 of the last 30 years, I've attended 0 UH athletic events in the preceding 25 years. I'm a fan of this city's institutions thriving so my kids can benefit from that down the road. It ends there vis-a-vis "Coog fan".

To your point about "one-single city." There are 2 top 10 markets in BIG12 territory. The BIG12 is now potentially #2 in one of those markets - and it ain't Dallas. Hence, the focus on a "single-city".

In corporate terms, Under Armour doesn't become a $50 Billion Company in 2015 if Nike buys them out as a $5 Billion Company in 2012. 'Ruh 'Roh.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In no way does that make an 11 am start "prime time" It's basically the undercard or opening act that happens before most people start watching. Actual "prime time" is afternoon or night spots. I mean, I'm sure you know that, you are just doing your best to pretend like you don't.

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

How many of these were also nationally televised at 11:00 AM?

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. We're talking about ratings points, right? It's the share which means it's the percentage of TVs that are on at a specific time. More average people are watching TV on a sunday night than a Saturday morning so any sports event is going to face a disadvantage in terms of the SHARE when it's on network TV in primetime vs network TV in the morning. You will have less average TV viewers in the morning so the people who are specifically tuning in to watch a game that would not normally be watching TV at 11AM on a Saturday lend themselves for a higher share.

Have they released the actual number in each city watching the games?

#1434 Brando2101, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Houston and Cincinnati

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bigtexxx yapping can only mean UH is kicking tons of ass. Lolz.

17. bigtexxx

aaaaand this is why UH has the reputation they do. Their fans. A threat of physical violence for sharing facts that don't fit the coogs' cause. When people consider it a success when they leave a night game at UH without getting mugged, you might have an issue.

18. Buck Turgidson

I think UH would be fun as hell to have in the Big12, but they do bring basically nothing to the table financially and media-wise, despite how people want to spin it.

The "stealing recruits" angle is overblown by a factor of 10.

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Your troll game is weak as hell what happened?

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm not a Coog (still I rep everything H-Town) and yet I'd have no problem getting violent with you