1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That makes sense but seems like they could add any of the 3 above relatively quickly if needed. Guess I don't know what the notice requirements and buyouts are like in their respective conferences.

One thing I read this morning is UT unlikely to agree to extend GOR beyond 2025. This is one thing I would absolutely agree with UT doing, although it probably pisses off the rest of the conference.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, I hope this is true.

3. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

That Big12Source twitter handle doesn't exist anymore. Probably not a great source. Not sure what the UC President was tweeting about. It looks like a random tweet.

4. gucci888

Might as well add another twist while we're at it. But the networks's POV has fallen by the wayside in all of this expansion discussion and could possibly play a bigger role than originally thought.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This is exactly what I said was the problem. I assumed the big 12 would not piss off the networks to cash in but I guess I was wrong. ESPN is hemorrhaging subscriptions. That is what makes the ACC deal so puzzling and surprising. If this is true then it lines up with the information the big 12 received a month ago that the teams they were looking at would not add value to the league which put a stop to expansion. Now it looks like this isn't a desire to match the 14 teams in order to get a deal like the ACC. It's to bring in 4 teams that will agree to staggered payouts like TCU and West Virginia did. The 10 current big 12 teams would make about 3.5 million more a year if all 4 teams came into the conference at the same time at the same 4 year staggered payout plan that TCU/West Virginia did.

IMO, this expansion is not a push by Texas because they don't need the money. It will only make it that much more unlikely that Texas grants the conference rights past 2025. It's possible that everyone knows Texas would not renew so the rest of the conference is going to do whatever it can to make as much money before the conference dissolves.

I think if you're Houston then you take the invitation if it comes but know that it's only an 8 year deal. That's a lot of time to build up the program into a national brand and they'll eventually make 35 million a year. I don't see them having any other options since the SEC, ACC, and Big 10 are all now locked into long term and high dollar deals after their last wave of expansion. Who knows what the Pac 12 wants. They are in worse shape than the big 12.

It's crazy how much things can change in a month. The ACC's plan for a big conference network seemed like it would never happen with the way cable has changed and the pac 12 network was a disaster. The big 12 was sitting tall having not expanded just to expand without getting a payoff. Maybe the big 12 gets that monster deal and UT does extend theri tv rights agreement with the league. Who knows I guess.

#1165 Brando2101, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

YOU CAN'T STOP NOW!

You and Donny are tied with 154 posts each in this thread. Are you just going to let him win? You and Donny have invested almost two years of your lives to this epic debate.

I guess this means UH will get in.

7. Brando2101

I meant I'm done with the argument about UT's purchase of land. Yep, I said 100 times that UH would not get in but it's entirely possible they will. I don't think they will get in for the reasons that were argued however it is what it is.

[​IMG]

8. gucci888

Chip Brown posted an idea that he believes could start to heat up (take it for what its worth) that the TV partners could just offer the current members a bigger payout to stay at 10 rather than expand.

If the conference adds 4 teams, they could be out another 100M per year for the next 8 years. Or they could offer an extra 5M-8M per year to each current member and possibly save up to 50M per year (400M for the rest of the contract). If you're the current members, would they turn down the extra cash for literally doing nothing?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

That would be a hilarious turn of events. Good job by whoever wrote those original contracts. Heh.

I think the TV networks and the conference will eventually come to a happy compromise and expand back to 12 teams with a decent pay bump.

The GOR from OU and UT are the elephant in the room though.

10. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

No chance both UT and OU extend their GOR. There are greener pastures out there for the both of them and they know it. They could likely move to any conference but the problem becomes they have to worry about OSU and Tech because powerful alumni of those schools wont want to see them left out in the cold. Still hoping they somehow are both able to go to Big10 or SEC.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

TEXAS STATE!

:(

12. Brando2101

Agreed that there is 0 chance they extend their GOR and that is OU as much as it is Texas. Both schools have a very good relationship with one another and will always operate in tandem regardless of what Boren throws out. They may not join the same conference but they'll make sure their situations are stable enough that they keep playing annually. I think Tech and Ok St. should go with UT and OU if possible but that might be asking for a lot.

There is no big 12 without Texas and there is no big 12 without OU. However, if you are any of the schools that might get an invite then you accept and get the money while you can.

What a rollercoaster of emotions.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Honest question for the UT fans here.

Would you rather be in a conference with UH or with Texas Tech?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would bet they'd rather be in a conference with Texas Tech because Tech isn't stealing ANYONE'S recruits.

15. Nook

Nook Member

There is nothing wrong with the Big XII...

OU wouldn't leave the Big XII....

There won't be expansion in the Big XII...

Well there is no doubt OU and UT will leave the Big XII...

O.K.

16. Brando2101

Easily Tech. We've played each other every season for the last 56 years with a total of 65 meetings. UH didn't join the southwest conference until 20 years after Tech and we've obviously been playing Tech since the SW conference ended and UH went to C-USA.

Also, it's exciting to go and play in their stadium when you have 61,000 screaming Tech fans that have nothing else to do than get hyped for the game. UH can't fill a 40,000 seat stadium but that'll hopefully change this year. It's still hard to imagine them filling a 60,000 stadium and who knows when they can get it expanded to that point. Texas Tech has had some decent seasons and they always field a fun team to watch.

UH and UT have played 25 times while Texas Tech and UT have played 65. I would not want to throw that away.

17. MystikArkitect

Do you think that maybe if UT came to TDECU instead of Tulane that the stadium might fill up more?

Look Houston is a BIG town and they'll take top level football any way they can get it. Fairly certain if Houston was in Big 12 they'd fill the stadium just fine. The Texans currently have a 30k person waiting list for their season tickets.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As an Aggy and strictly a fan I'd take UH! But y'all still aren't getting in!

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If I were a college student then Tech. That's a road trip and the games are usually better because there is nothing else to do in Lubbock.

As an adult living in Houston, UH. The game is easier to go to.

20. gucci888

The Texans/NFL is not a good comparison at all. The Texans have an exponentially larger fan base and UH/CFB will still be mainly limited to students and alum. Non-UH fans won't be flocking to TDECU just because they're in a P5 now.

Agree with Icehouse on UH vs Tech though. As an alum back in Houston, I would love the opportunity for more games right down the road. But Tech weekend back in college was pretty awesome and there were some classic games to boot. A lot of history between the programs.