1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden's executive orders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ryan_98, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You think we're not gonna have energy jobs?

With this country's energy consumption? Lmao

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I hate this, Congress needs to limit EOs big time....the President's job is not to make laws....it is to sign them INTO laws.

DD

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I tend to agree but why we've had the last four Presidents rely on them so much is Congress isn't doing their job. Also for Biden many of his EO's are just undoing EO's from Trump.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. swakid8

swakid8 Member

‘Except Executive orders aren’t officially laws.....

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

People act on them......I am 100% for removing the filibuster as it is not what the founders intended and was only put in to stop Jim Crow.....

Let's go back to majority rules as the forefathers wanted.

DD

7. swakid8

swakid8 Member

I am not disagreeing with you, on your point of what the forefathers intended. But EOs aren’t federal laws thus have many limitations.

8. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll commend Biden on trying to be a mix of TR, FDR, and LBJ. We're still way too early on to see how that works out but this is a move I can get behind.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...tbuster-status-in-push-to-unwind-bad-mergers/

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...tbuster-status-in-push-to-unwind-bad-mergers/

Andre0087 and astros123 like this.
  9. astros123

astros123 Member

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. astros123

astros123 Member

It's insane how the ultra wealthy have made brainwashed so many morons like yourself for fighting for them. You think concentrated power in big tech and meat processing is a good thing? You think people shouldn't have the right to repair their own farm equipment or their own cell phones ? Wages have been stagnant for decades while corporate buybacks have been soaring. Business spend more on stock buybacks than they do on R&D and you think that's a good thing? you damn clown

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Tyler Cowen is Holbert L. Harris Professor of Economics at George Mason University and also Director of the Mercatus Center. He received his Ph.d. in economics from Harvard University in 1987. His book The Great Stagnation: How America Ate the Low-Hanging Fruit of Modern History, Got Sick, and Will (Eventually) Feel Better was a New York Times best-seller. He was recently named in an Economist poll as one of the most influential economists of the last decade and several years ago Bloomberg BusinessWeek dubbed him "America's Hottest Economist." Foreign Policy magazine named him as one of its "Top 100 Global Thinkers" of 2011. His next book, about American business, is due out in 2019. He has blogged at Marginal Revolution every day for almost fifteen years.

#173 Os Trigonum, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Andre0087 likes this.
  15. astros123

astros123 Member

Media isn't interested in any policy or how biden is actually making people's lives easy or fixing our broken system. This is what reporters are obsessed with

It's crazy how people don't like competency and professionalism

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"What’s Missing from Biden’s Antitrust Executive Order":

https://thebulwark.com/whats-missing-from-bidens-antitrust-executive-order/

excerpt:

Second, aside from a passing reference to local newspapers being “shuttered or downsized,” the executive order is silent about an economic sector where consolidation has run rampant in recent decades: the media. I asked Press Secretary Jen Psaki about it during her daily briefing on Friday:

KAREM: You said in the statement today that he’s going to take decisive action against consolidation in a lot of industries. Does that include the media industry? I mean, we suffer consolidation more than any other. So is your administration going to break up the large media conglomerates?

PSAKI: I don’t have anything to predict or preview for you on that front.

That’s a sad answer to a serious question. Busting up media monopolies is not only desirable but necessary to ensure the safety of our democracy. The present media landscape is dominated by a few behemoths that control nearly everything we see, read, or hear.

If Biden is serious about breaking up monopolies and increasing opportunities for American workers, he has to attack the problems of large media companies.

The constriction of information, the lack of diversity in newsrooms, the lack of independent reporting, and the news organizations providing information the audience wants to hear rather than what it needs to know—all this damages the reputation of journalists and journalism, so that, as Sam Donaldson puts it, when “the cry of ‘fake news’ and denunciation of the press as ‘enemies of the people’” are thrown at the press, “even the most careful and honest of news organizations” are tarnished. (Donaldson writes this in the foreword to my forthcoming book, Free the Press: The Death of American Journalism and How to Revive It, in which media consolidation is one of the issues I address.)

If President Biden were to swing at the problem of media monopolies, that would definitely put him in the realm of presidential heavy hitters like trust-busting Teddy.
    more at the link