1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden Covid Relief package (3rd Covid Bill $1.9T)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Two moderate democrat senators do not agree with it.

Astrodome and ThatBoyNick like this.
  2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Damn, that's a crazy stat.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Time for Joe and Chuck to buck up, then.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He does not have 50 votes to make it to the VP.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Is that not the job of Bernie?

Doesn't he have a way to make all of this stuff pass?

J/K:D

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I was talking about pushing Dems in the Senate to vote with Dems on Biden's bill (If there truly are 2 refusing to vote yes due to opposing 15 min wage - Manchin and ?).

Just like Mitch and Donald would get to work on politically pushing and punishing any republicans refusing to vote with the Republicans in the Senate, Biden, and Chuck (senate majority leader) have to do the same thing.

Bernie is the chair of the budget committee, an important role in doing a 51 vote pass, but Chuck is the majority leader.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It won't derail. The covid bill will be passed, with or without it. Will the min wage hike make it? Probably not, but ... we'll see.

On the surface, it's definitely not a covid issue. But it is indirectly related. We have heard for a long time that places with lower incomes have more cases of covid. Or that income equality correlate with more cases. Or that the poor has more cases. Studies looked at some of these and the correlation is huge.

More cases = more spread. Impact is to everyone.

COVID-19’s unequal impact tied to another inequality—of income | American Medical Association (ama-assn.org)

“A higher level of Black or Hispanic composition in a county is associated with a higher COVID-19 incidence and mortality; a higher level of economic inequality is also associated with a higher level of incidence and mortality,” the study states. “More generally, the study suggests that high levels of income inequality may harm population health irrespective of racial/ethnic composition.”

“We’re finding significant and profound associations between how unequal our communities are and how healthy our communities are,” De Maio, director of research and data use for the AMA Center for Health Equity, said in an interview.

Impact of COVID-19 outbreak by income: hitting hardest the most deprived | Journal of Public Health | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

Background
    The impact of the 2019 coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has many facets. This ecological study analysed age-standardized incidence rates by economic level in Barcelona.

Results
    The lower the mean income, the higher the COVID-19 incidence (Spearman rho = 0.83; P value = 0.003). Districts with the lowest mean income had the highest incidence of COVID-19 per 10 000 inhabitants; in contrast, those with the highest income had the lowest incidence. Specifically, the district with the lowest income had 2.5 times greater incidence of the disease, compared with the highest-income district [70 (95% confidence interval 66–73) versus 28 (25–31), respectively].

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

delete for other topic

#88 Invisible Fan, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess a simple but vital question that should be debated on its merits is whether the amount the original Cares Act sent out was "too much" for people or were people getting paid "too little" in the first place.

Notoriety of people sitting on their asses while using the money to "learn Robinhood" sounds to me like the new "Welfare queens" who spent their checks on lobster and caviar while pumping out babies.

They were mostly a small number Con media inflated while hiding the fact that people mostly used welfare to stay out of homelessness and starvation.

Rent forbearance still is and will become a greater issue in the coming months...

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Not a fan of the next round of PPPs. I know a few that are making a killing and getting nice chunks of money. I found out today that for the new ones you don't have to be a citizen to get them.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

60 votes makes it filibuster proof. It can still pass but it can be more of a pain.

pgabriel likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think we need to punish anybody for voting there mind or what their constituents want but this is the issue with getting stuff actually done and why I challenged what Bernie could actually accomplish as president.

This is something that needs to be debated in my opinion, not voted on with a gun at your head.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is it what their constiruents want or is it what their donors want and what corporations who promise them future board seats after they leave office want(revolving door)?

People don't trust polticians for a reason especially in the US, one of the few first world nations that allow unlimited donations from corporations to its polticians.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Probably both but as you do know they come from WV and Arizona right?

And as usual if a politician does not agree with you they must be in the pocket of some corporation.

This is a debatable issue and no,one should be judged because they are not in lockstep.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's teh stupid reconciliation process. It makes a bunch more hurdles. Thanks Manichin and Synema, becuase Arizona voters care about...senate procedure

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

If it's a debatable issue than why are you so certain that their decisions are based on their constiruents rather than corporate influence? I merely gave a possiblity where they might be influenced by something other than their constituents, a possiblity that is well known and this country is infamous for in the developed world.

American polticians haven't earned the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. Too much incentive to be influenced by factors outside of the basic needs of constiruents.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

From my experience, mostly at the County level, all politicians are in the pocket of whomever supports their candidacy financially. The complicity between civil engineering companies and local officials was blatant. Want that bridge contract? Support me for County Judge.

18. fchowd0311

Yup and I'm sure West Virginians who compromise some of the worst quality of life metrics in the developed world really care about "senate procedure" also.

19. Major

Major Member

Two things.

1. They have to decide if it meets reconciliation budget rules. That's a decision for the Senate Parliamentarian that should be coming in the next day or two.

2. If it does meet the rules, they have to get Manchin and Synema on board - neither of which is likely. Manchin sounds like he could be convinced with a lower number (or other changes like business tax breaks to counter the extra costs, etc). Synema seems like a hard no, and not sure if she is movable or not.

I think from a sense of expediency - they need to get this bill passed in the next 2.5 weeks to avoid an unemployment benefits expiration, minimum wage is gonna go. I think the Romney-Cotton bill will start as a counteroffer to straight up $15 min and they'll work from there. Dems will extract a higher number and give in on e-Verify. It's also tied to inflation going forward (a HUGE deal that no one stupidly included in the past). They could put a number like $12.50, but shorten the timeline, and if they want to be creative, they can do something like "goes up at twice the inflation rate as long as min wage is below $15" or something like that. That gets them to $15 but in a roundabout and slower way. But the key thing is that it might be able to pass (not sure on this - still would need 8 other GOPers).

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you miss where I said probably both?

You are so hell bent on arguing this point you missed that, I have no idea what the decisions are based on just like you don't but I am not gonna automatically gonna claim they are corporate shills.