1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden Covid Relief package (3rd Covid Bill $1.9T)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jan 14, 2021.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's like the whole system is set up to hurt people making >$200,000. Why does no one ever think of the wealthy? :(

Andre0087 and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard individuals talk about welfare this way. I dared them to quit their jobs and live the lavish lifestyle of being on welfare. Lol.

Seriously though, I'm not benefitting from the checks, UEI, or the child tax credits, but whatever man, I think it's excellent that the lower half of the country is getting some much needed help.

#462 ElPigto, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    superfob, jiggyfly, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say this again that I know I don't need the stimulus and I'm not making $200K a year. If I get any I plan on donating it like I did the first CARES's ACT and I still would've liked to see more means testing.

Also I find it odd that someone on the Right would complain that people over $200K aren't getting aid while they complained about the size of the bill and wanted more means testing.

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I find it even more odd when they perform mental gymnastics to convince us why tax breaks are needed for the rich corporations (regardless if add to the national debt), yet when the lower half of this country gets a few bones thrown at them they are upset at the amount of money we spent.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think you are correct.

Here's the linked editorial from Phillip Bump of WaPo:

The difference between the Trump tax cuts and the Biden relief bill, in one chart

Soon after President Donald Trump signed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act into law in December 2017, he traveled to his private club in Florida. There, surrounded by the wealthy men and women who’d paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to belong to the private club, Trump offered his assessment of the change the policy made.

“You all just got a lot richer,” he crowed. And he was correct.

The Trump White House had argued that this was simply a side effect of legislation it presented as helpful to Americans generally. There was an effort to present the top-heavy tax cuts as a nonetheless-positive change for the public, an effort which at one point involved a dubious analogy about buying beers. But the argument broadly was akin to a claim that even table scraps could be filling.

On Monday, the Tax Policy Center presented a graph offering a direct comparison between that legislation and the pandemic-relief bill, which is likely to be signed into law this week by President Biden. It broke out the population into five groups, from the fifth of taxpayers with the lowest pretax income to the fifth with the highest.

But because there’s a very big difference between an income at the 80th percentile and one at the 95th, the numbers were broken out further to show the 95th to 99th percentile and then the top 1 percent. So we get seven groups, from lowest to super-highest income, like so.

[​IMG]

If you’re curious, there are about 44.3 million “tax units” — individuals or couples — at the lowest level, which averages about $14,400 in income before taxes. There are about 1.2 million units in the top 1 percent, a group which averages nearly $2.3 million in pretax income. There are 38 “tax units” in the lowest income group for every unit in the top 1 percent, but the top 1 percent makes 158 times as much in income.

So how did Trump’s tax cuts compare with the expected coronavirus relief bill? The change in after-tax incomes (including all provisions of the 2017 law) looks like this.

[​IMG]

In 2017, the benefits increased as the income quintile or percentile moved up the ladder. In 2021, it decreased.

Notice that these are percentages. If we look at the actual average change in federal taxes, the lopsided benefits for the richest Americans becomes even more apparent.

[​IMG]

The scale of the benefit for the richest Americans under the 2017 legislation makes it difficult to see the distribution of the benefits under the 2021 bill. If we break that out, it looks like this.

[​IMG]

It’s hard to see, but the bar for the top 1 percent actually descends below the line: The average tax burden for the richest Americans actually went up an infinitesimal amount.

Again, the pandemic relief bill has not yet been signed into law. But with it having been passed by the Senate and requiring only a final approval from the Democrat-majority House, that seems likely. Particularly since there’s been little effort on the right to organize against the package.

Conservative commentator Erick Erickson explained why in a tweet.

It’s possible that more Americans will remember the dispute over the Dr. Seuss estate’s decision to stop publishing six books than will remember the quiet passage of a sweeping economic passage. Democrats seem to be betting, though, that a 2022 or 2024 effort to highlight the distinction between the package, which will likely pass this week, and drawings in decades-old children’s books will work out OK.

bobrek likes this.
  6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What the **** is wrong with people. My wife and I make over $200,000 and we've spent the last year in deep gratitude for our financial security as we've watched so many have to navigate the pandemic while dealing with job loss and food insecurity. I'll never understand this mindset.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The same caucus or die-hard supporters that supported the previous two covid package b/c it's signed by Trump?

I think it's standard Republican political positioning when a Dem is president + ideology against big government unless one of their own is President. They are betting that 1) yes ppl forgets and 2) they can attack Dem and erode support (which they will quite easily among Republican).

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's privilege. Some people don't know the hardships of not making much money and depending on the government due to X reason. Others may have gone through that at some point in their life, but they forgot.

I grew up on welfare, my uncle was disabled and my grandma had to retire to look after me when she was granted custody of me before I turned 2 years old. We didn't have much money and I certainly don't want to go back to those times and I sympathize with people in that situation. I'm in the same boat you are, I told my wife we are blessed and if we can help some organization out or whatever, then lets do it.

mikol13, jiggyfly, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Who said I was struggling? or asking for a bail out? There are many people who didn't need a child credit or a stimulus and got it. I think only people who need it should get it. If not, let everyone have it. I got my pay AND my hours cut and haven't complained one bit. You may think I am complaining but I am not.
    Easy with the expletives. There are many people who haven't taken a hit at all that are getting these checks. I bet you want to cancel student debt too.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I can't wait till I have time to go back and read your comments about the Trump tax cut.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I'll never understand the people who respond to the disaster that the last year has been for so many, by focusing on some who might have gotten help they didn't need. It's just really weird.

mikol13, superfob, DVauthrin and 2 others like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Covid has really done a good job of pointing out the people in society who have no capacity for empathy.

mikol13, superfob, DVauthrin and 3 others like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, I'll take that bet.

Who's living in the bubble - the people who think voters will like getting checks

or the people who think endless manufactured culture war grievance parade distractions from the Fox News Extended Universe are the 'real America' kitchen table issues?

mikol13, jiggyfly and ElPigto like this.
  14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What were to percentages on the cares act? How about the 2 trillion in tax cuts?

Brawndo, it has electrolytes.

B-Bob and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

time for congress to crack their knuckles and tax the rich.

17. MystikArkitect

Blue State Bailout : aka the states where people like....live.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Won't anyone think of the ... soil?

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The states where the people who actually create jobs and tax revenue live.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screenshot_20210310-155952_Google.jpg