1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Biden Covid Relief package (3rd Covid Bill $1.9T)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't hate it. Instead of giving all these stimulus checks, just do a UBI and leave minimum wage alone.

Minimum wage increases have been great so far, but they've been in heavily inflated economies. Increasing minimum wage in places like the Rust Belt is downright stupid.

If we've learned anything economically from covid, these blanket unemployment benefits highlight how we can't slap a singular bandaid across the varying economies of all states.

joshuaao likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Well, I just listened to the Biden speech about his COVID Stimulus and let me tell you, I AM ANGRY. What a terrible speech.
    1. Who am I supposed to blame? Joe didn’t give me ANY suggestions.
    2. The press…are they still lying to me? I HAVE NO IDEA.
    3. The stimulus itself…is it the biggest or the most beautiful? JOE DIDN’T TELL US.
    4. We still, after 40 minutes, have no idea how unfair this entire process has been to the President-Elect. Am I just supposed to GUESS?
    5. The speech felt completely pre-written to me. NOT ONCE did Joe ramble on about the time he won a made-up award or the time someone ran up to him, called him “Sir” and then asked him something no one would ask the President, given the chance.
    6. WHY IS JOE LOOKING INTO THE CAMERA? What kind of public speaker does this? I’ll tell you who…a Chinese communist senile CNN Berniesanders AOC Marxist. That’s ****ing who.
    7. Pull Black and Hispanic families OUT of poverty? BUT WE JUST SPENT LOTS OF YEARS PUTTING THEM IN THERE!
    8. How dare he use the Lord’s name in vain, suggesting he protect “our troops.” Does Joe not know God is on the side of the Trump Army? *******.
    9. Something something about “experts” and “progress” and "science" and “actually doing something about…things.” Makes me sick. My grandfather didn’t dodge three wars to see the country just collapse into first world standards. What a disgusting bunch of cunts.
    10. And where the **** is Geraldo Rivera?
    JUST TELL US WHO IS AT FAULT FOR OUR OWN SELF-MADE PROBLEMS, GODDAMMIT.

#22 Buck Turgidson, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I’m looking forward to increased free money and higher wages for my girls working their way thru school and also maybe throw in tuition reimbursement to help me out. Thanks

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's like you read my mind and I didn't even watch the speech.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Tie minimum wage to inflation so you don’t have to worry about it in the future. Everything else looks to be on point.

6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Is there an estimated timeline for the checks? When are $1400 checks likely to go out? By March?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree and I am not saying it's safe but I teach at a pretty large school in a community that has had sky rocketing numbers and its not spreading that fast in the schools.

It would seem that since schools have been opened as long as they have we would have definitive numbers if they are a major contributing source.

In a perfect world I would say close the schools ( I had been hoping they would) but I also realize how that affects the kids and the communities as a whole and think the risk reward leans towards keeping schools open.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This needs to be in some kind of post hall of fame.

You killed it.;)

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Leadership.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

great for my bitcoin stack, bad for everyone else

convert your stimulus checks to bitcoin or else have fun staying poor

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Commodore likes this.
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We aren't in the Great Depression. This is so damn stupid

People acting like its so courageous to give the biggest government give away.

Just propose a billion cajllion trillion.

14. adoo

adoo Member

ur so stupid !

R0ckets03 likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wait until you see the real economic recovery package. You are going to love it.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The vaccination portion highlight
    - FEMA mobilize thousands of staff + National Guard were more sites are needed
    - some # of mobile vaccination clinics to fill gaps
    - DPA to increase vaccine supply
    - 100k public health jobs program
    - federal public education campaign on vaccine safety

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Marketing jeniuses!!!

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't hear one mention of how big and beautiful his brain is. How am I supposed to support his plan if he doesn't tell me that he's smart and there are scientist at MIT that are amazed at how smart he is?!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In addition to saying how small the crowd is at this inauguration.

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Way back over the summer, on CNBC, several of the analysts said that you would be dumb not to be in the stock market due to the trillions being pumped into the economy. The over-riding theme was that not only was the Fed going to do everything in their power to keep money as cheap as possible, but the Government would eventually pass stimulus. I wasn't the "next" stimulus that they were thinking about, it was the "last" stimulus. Their opinion is that no matter who was in control of the government, we would pass $1.5 to 2 Trillion TOO MUCH stimulus (stimulus that the economy doesn't really need to recover well).

It is entirely possible that some or even all of this package is the "TOO MUCH". Anything after this one would really ice the cake. You shouldn't be holding cash right now for sure.

This package, even if its a smaller form that gets passed PLUS a probable infrastructure bill (which has wide bipartisan appeal), is probably going to rip the stock market to the stratosphere in the mid term.

Another point that was being made, and I've heard from several economists: if money is this cheap to print, and the world has an insatiable appetite for US dollars, we'd be DUMB to not leverage to the hilt to buy all the stuff that'll help us rebuild, ESPECIALLY infrastructure. Rail, Airports, 5G, etc.

jiggyfly likes this.