1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden Cabinet picks put private equity firm Pine Island in the spotlight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by saitou, Dec 9, 2020.

1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Biden Cabinet picks put private equity firm Pine Island in the spotlight
    https://www.axios.com/pine-island-private-equity-biden-54e8cbf3-d07f-4193-925f-0520c4260e97.html

From the prospectus:
    Pine Island Capital Partners’ team includes four former senators, a former House Majority Leader and longstanding board member of a large aerospace company, a former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a former head of U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), a former U.S. Chief of Protocol, a former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations for Special Political Affairs and a former Under Secretary of Defense.
    Although Pine Island Capital Partners is a generalist firm, given the background of its team, Pine Island Capital Partners spends the majority of its time focused in the aerospace, defense and government services sectors, where Pine Island Capital Partners believes it has extensive connections to industry leaders, unusual access to information, and often unique insights into specific companies, programs and overall market dynamics. Pine Island Capital Partners has made two acquisitions in the past six months: the acquisition of Precinmac, a precision machining business with significant exposure to aerospace and defense end markets, and InVeris Training Solutions (formerly Meggitt Training Systems), a global leader in weapons safety, judgment and tactical training solutions for military and law enforcement customers.

Will additional media coverage be good for the SPAC or will the scrutiny make it hard to close a deal?

Warrants not trade able yet. Worth getting the units? PIPP U.

My own off the wall speculation - could the target be Anduril Industries?
    @Cokebabies @Dr of Dunk @Sajan @Dream Sequence

2. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Interesting that lightning struck twice for Pine. I'm putting a small bet on them because I believe our govt is corrupt and greedy and will find a way to sweep any bad PR from conflicts of interest under the rug. They have a pretty rockstar lineup of Wall Street and DC connections. In regards to Anduril, I don't think so. If it wasn't for the SE Asia angle for BTWN, I would have guessed it would be that. From what I know, Anduril is full of pro-Trump folks (Luckey/Thiel) so I feel like Pine Capital isn't right wing enough to make that investment but I could be wrong.

#2 Cokebabies, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    saitou and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This is F'd, but be content I guess, as Biden is still better than Crazy Donny.

saitou likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting news and something to keep an eye out on, wiche I thank the progressives for raising awareness.

Still don't think dismissing these people out of hand is prudent.

Capitalism can work for the common man as well.

dobro1229 and saitou like this.
  5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Pipp u already up 6% in a day. Gonna hold till warrants come out, then swap.

Cokebabies likes this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

i used for work for Northrop Grumman, one of the big 3 defense contractor, and have friends who are still there

Anduril Industries would be an ideal acquisition target for SAIC, an information technology-centric defense contractor. it'd be a good fit.
    if i were Anduril, and everything being equal, i'd much rather be part of SAIC

next on the potential buyers list could include Northrop Grumman or Lockheed Martin

Boeing, without the MX mess, would be on that list too.

fwiw,

insofar as DC connections, Pine Island's pales in comparison to the Big 3 and SAIC

#6 adoo, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Thanks! Any views on who pine's target may be, if anduril is off the table?

8. adoo

adoo Member

dunno,

just my 2 cents,

don't think SPAC will pan out in the defense contracting arena​

saitou likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I agree. Biden does not have the luxury of cult fealty that Trump has and progressives are a great guardrail in our party. Biden is smart enough to know this and would seem at first sight to be a coincidence. People who were in the Obama admin had to go do something for four years and it’s likely a lot of people took jobs in corporate America with firms like McKenzie and some will have done time in PE.

For those of us who aren’t millionaires or billionaires, we have to take what we can get in corporate America and that just might be the simple explanation in some of the Biden picks that we might see.

However I fully support Progressive groups holding Biden accountable and looking deeper into whether they are themselves corrupt or if they just happen to be someone who doesn’t make a ton of money who unknowingly took a job in corporate America or with an investment firm that any one of us regular folks would have taken not knowing any better.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also worth noting that many younger Democrats who were new to government in the Obama admin after Obama’s 8 years started into activism and using digital and traditional media to help the party defeat Trump.

Those people are the ones oddly who will never be confirmable but those who were quiet and might have gone into corporate America to make money are going to be confirmable for top positions... which shows how screwed up our priorities are.

We are still at a place where the only measure of acceptability in government for Republicans is that you never said a negative word about the dear leader.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

This team look good? Ronald Sugar is respected?

https://zaniteacquisition.com/

12. adoo

adoo Member

Ron sugar was a successful ceo for Northrop during a tumultuous time.

he was credited w spearheading the merger of two fierce competitors (TRW & Northrop) into one of the big 3.

saitou likes this.