1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden Cabinet Diverse Except Education Background

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 2, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

All Elites. Saw this on Tucker Carlson. I promise i dont watch Fox News. Was not home and it was on television

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

We should all want the most competent and highly trained people in positions of greatest importance.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm sure if Biden appointed a high school educated janitor you and Tucker Carlson would be applauding the decision.

You know times are looking much better when Republican Neo Fascists are back to b****ing about Tan Suits.

Meanwhile the Republican Neo Fascist Messiah Donald Trump is about to blanket pardon himself and his family members, and his party is crying out for him to call on the Military to help support him in a Coup to become an unelected Dictator.

Yeah.... Let's start b****ing about Tan Suits with Democrats please. I would rather hear your b****ing about crap like this then deal with YOUR CHOICE for a Fascist Dictatorship.

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So the immediate drop off from elite university is high school? This is a problem with every administration. Don't you think having all elite staffers can contribute to a lack of perspective

I was just giving full disclosure on where my information came from

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not really. Where you go to school is a very small slice of your life and world view.

Hell, what you study is far more influential than where you study it, both of which take an enormous backseat to where and how you grew up and what/where you've been since school.

FranchiseBlade and vlaurelio like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I disagree. Most people in elite schools minority or not come from elite backgrounds

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

So you should be more concerned with their background than their ivy league education then.

deb4rockets and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

the premise is sound ... that the Biden administration should be diverse across gender, race, sexual orientation, education. The administration has hit groundbreaking marks for multiple categories of diversity across multiple roles, not just tokenism.

I think education is likely least important among these factors, but important nonetheless. But I am of two minds about it because Graduates from elite universities are not all the same. People generalize and think of the blue blooded, generationally privileged elites who attend these schools almost as a simple rite (or really “right”) of passage. But there are many first or second generation admittees to these universities that high achieving regular people. I don’t know where she went to college, but Biden appointed a woman of modest background to serve as UN Ambassador I believe. Mayorkas, the director of homeland security, is a Cuban immigrant and did not come from privilege. I think he went to UC Berkeley. Of those who went to the top 10 type colleges, it would be much more meaningful to know if they are blue bloods, or super high achieveing regular people.

personally, I think it is critical to get the top talent and form as diverse a group as you can, and it is beyond question that Biden has done more in this area than anyone in history and it is not even close.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The easiest way to clean that up is to be diverse in the educational backgrounds. Less controversy instead of digging into childhood homes.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Maybe instead of wasting time trying to hit quotas on race, gender, education, and 'background' we should just hire the most competent people.

daywalker02, Andre0087, Major and 2 others like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thank you for that perspective. Im sure Tucker Carlson is biased and wouldn't have been completely honest about the full nature of their backgrounds. We know elite is a loaded term

durvasa likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Buden wants to appease minorities no doubt. The media will also call him out if he did the opposite. He is in a no win

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Biden hasn't announced a number of cabinet picks yet, but are these 2 (for example) considered "elites" based on their education background?

Alejandro Mayorkas is the supposed nominee for DHS Secretary. He went to UCLA-Berkeley and Loyola of Chicago for law school.

Linda Thomas-Greenfield is the supposed nominee for UN Ambassador which Biden plans to elevate to a Cabinet level position. She graduated from LSU and obtained a Masters from UW-Madison.

AroundTheWorld, Rileydog and pgabriel like this.
  15. dobro1229

No my point is I don't believe for a second that you or Tucker Carlson really care about the level of education. You are just looking for something to b**** about with Biden, and Tucker is happy to fill your head with content. Having too much education is pretty rich.

The Right, and Tucker Carlson supported someone with cult like rigor who bragged constantly about how great his Ivy league education is, and how great of a brain he has. The Right has no credibility here on the topic.

Does that point make any sense to you??

deb4rockets and Major like this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro im not looking for anything.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

19. dobro1229

You literally started the thread.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So sick of seeing diversity as a substitute for actual policy changes. The graduates of Ivies, aside from being school chums, tend to more satisfied with the status quo than the 99%. Hence Michelle Obama saying she and war criminal Dubya share many values.

pgabriel likes this.