1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beyond the Glory / Hakeem Olajuwon / FoxSports Sun 8pm

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carlit0, Jun 25, 2002.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

me too, but to the ones that saw it...Didn't his first year or two in the league (body shape) remind you of Griffin's shape now?...Perhaps reasonable prudence to equating Griffin getting bigger as Dream did.

Not saying Griffin is a 5, but I feel 85% at the 4, 15% at the 5...

Twin towers 2, here we come?!?...maybe, maybe no.

2. Old School

Old School Member

I want him back in Houston...just not in uniform.

os

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL,So true!

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

To me, the best part was all the folks who talked in front of the camera. The scout who "discovered" him, A bunch of Phi Slamma Jama guys, Guy V., Rudy, Horry, Cassel, Clyde, Shaq, and so on and so forth. Quite a bit more comprehensive than the "Hakeem the Dream" video of a few years back.

It repeats multiple times on multiple "Fox Sports" channels throughout the week. Check your local listings, as the network boys say.

http://foxsports.lycos.com/named/Index/Video?tabs=shows

Register and you can find the airdates online :)

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

That show usually deals with drugs, sex, parties... Dream's story was the most wholesome(I guess). I mean Primetime had an addiction to women, Sheffield had the same, so did Holyfield, Isiah's brother was a junkie, ....

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

Assistant Coach Hakeem Olajuwon?

Maybe he can be the mentor Yao needs.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Cointoss,they did show Hakeem blocking Stark's shot. It was a good overall presentation. He was so talented and explosive as a youngster. He has his good and bad points,but I still like him.
    He was so humble in victory and brought glory to the city of Houston.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it made me quite nostalgic...but some notable things were absent:

1. Hakeem sealed his super player status in the playoffs...they spent so little team talking about his individual accomplishments in the playoffs.

2. what?? no mention of the quadruple-doubles??? did i miss that???

9. CoinToss

CoinToss Contributing Member

Thanks. It must have been so fast, I missed it.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Great show. I forgot how truly awesome Hakeem was. He was so amazingly quick.

On a side note he was an awfully skinny kid at a bout the same age as Griffin is now.

11. tozai

tozai Member

One quote that reminded me of Yao's situation's similarity to Hakeem's was when Michael Young said(not exact): "When Hakeem came here, the team took him with open arms and really made him fit in. This greatly contributed to his development"

Steve, Cat & co...please make Yao feel welcome and wanted...This situation is going to be a huge shock culturally and basketball wise, so help him feel comfortable and he'll come along much more quickly...

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

hardwood, I totally agree with the Louisville game. I still think it was the greatest college game ever... (maybe I'm biased!), and thought it was basically for the championship. I've always thought the players felt the same, and that's why we lost to NC State. If I'm remembering correctly, Louisville was heavily favored to win it all, and UH stunned the country by winning as much as by their style of play.

I wish I had that game on tape... the NBA should try to work out a deal with the NCAA to broadcast classic college games in their entirety, especially the ones that showcase future NBA stars. League Pass could add a channel for it, and the schools could make some extra bucks. :) I haven't seen the Fox special, but will look for it in "the local listings".

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deckard - That was just about as juicy as it gets against Louisville.It was such a big matchup with the buildup to go along with it. I think there was a letdown like you alluded too_One of the things that has always stuck in my craw about it is that GuyV who I love,seemed to want to slow it down,and PSJ just didn't play like that.Roll the ball out and go.IMO,once the Coogs got loose,they tightened up again as a result.Now,I don't blame GuyV..It just worked out that way.If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been there in the first place.He built a great program and it looks like we're finally getting our claws back.It's been a long wait.
    Hey,I usually catch some great college games on ClassicSports.
    Go Coogs!

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tozai, I am glad you brought that up.

I caught that same comment as well! Like you, I hope that Ming's teammates will treat him as one of the group. I think as an intermediary having someone like Nachbar will also help as he is also a foreigner but at the same time can speak English very well and looks to have a bit more western culture influence.

Chris

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wasn't Hakeem's playing weight in college about 235?

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not sure what he was when he entered the draft but they said he was 6'11" and 190 lbs when he stepped out of the cab for the first time on the UH campus. They did say that he bulked up fairly quick.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The show repeats in Austin from 3-4pm Tuesday on FOXSW. :)