1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beyonce - Lemonade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eric.81, Apr 25, 2016.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Absolutely not. He is a talent-hyped artist. Yes, he was shocking and different. I'm not the biggest Prince fan there is but he is one of the most talented all-around musicians ever. He could do it all. I'd be willing to bet Beyonce couldn't tell the difference between a bass and a guitar...let alone play one of them.

Beyonce is more Khardashian than she is a musician.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It's actually kind of interesting. With all her hype and exposure, Beyonce hasn't had a #1 song since 2008.

Drake, who's demo I'd assume is really similar to Beyoncé's, had never had a #1 song until this month. And this is an artist who once had 14 songs in the Top 100 all at the same time.

I'd imagine that if you were to really look at it, we'd see that most of toady's popular artist really haven't been as successful as we'd have guessed.

4. HR Dept

Strongly disagree, Beyoncé is an EXTREMELY talented vocalist. There's no need to tear her down while building Prince up. They both will go down as all time greats. Beyoncé deserves her hype, and Prince isn't hyped at all. He was great for decades and just recently died. That's what put his name back at the top of the pages.

Name one thing that Beyoncé has done to deserve to be labeled: "more Khardashian than she is a musician" -- And looking pretty doesn't count.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eh...I don't really like these vocalists that feel like they have to trill the hell out of every single note they sing.

6. HR Dept

Fair enough. But she's an R&B singer with a heavy Gospel influence. So riffs, trills, and vibrato usually comes with the territory.

7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

She is very talented vocally. It is not fair to her to compare her to Prince though. He blows her out of the water with his instrument skills and the fact that he wrote his own songs as well as songs for others that were hits.

8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

[​IMG]

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

One thing I've noticed is how over-analyzed pop music has become. I read some reviews for Lemonade, and they read like a deep study of a Kubrick film.

I mean, I know you need to try to dig a little deeper into the content to make the writing less cookie cutter, but it really seems like the music is being inflated to an art form that even the people who made it would find pretentious.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

That's a ridiculous way to define success as far as musicians go. Your mind is probably too hardwired for sports and ur relating musicians/#1 songs to athletes/sports.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

*athletes/championships, I mean

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Exactly. Too many flourishes and trills in vocals today. I think it comes from insecurity.....they don't think they can hold the note, so instead, they flourish the crap out of it.

13. HR Dept

Not at all. I actual consider myself to be a musician.

I'm talking in the context of the biggest most popular artist and how it's easy to assume that artists on the level of Beyoncé/Drake live in the #1 spot. Just an observation. I probably shouldn't have used "successful" so generally in that post. I wasn't equating success on the charts as the measure of a musician's success. Though it does matter.

14. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

so what's the deal? Is she having issues with Jay?

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Apparently he cheated on her in the past, but she forgave him.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You mean Music is similar to Fashion Mags
    where they photoshop the hell out of already beautiful women to a point where they are in shapes and sizes that simply are not naturally attainable much less sustainable?

Music is having people 'sing' notes and hold them for unnatural times and pitches etc?

Rocket River

17. HR Dept

No... They mean more like Generic Singer A singing the note of C with a steady tone, holding it then ending it ever so softly. As opposed to Beyoncé who would hit that C with rasp in her voice, then mix in a D, Eb, and a Bb that glides back into C. :grin:

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Gotta say, I don't give a good god damn about whether they're together or if he cheated on her or anything... these are people I'll NEVER meet and their life won't really effect mine in any respect other than as entertainment. I do not follow their personal lives or any US Weekly type stuff other than grocery line headline browsing. I'm a fan of Jay's, for sure. I like Bey, but couldn't hum you a tune of hers since "Halo."

I watched Lemonade with that as my context/background. We were actually watching Jurassic World and didn't change the channel after it ended.

I came across this with zero hype. IMO, taken simply as one hour of entertainment - no more, no less - it was excellent. The visuals, spoken-word, poetry, and music were all great.

The wife looked over at me at one point and said "This is some Michael Jackson sh**." I did not argue.