1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#BeWell movement grows - White to run against Ilhan Omar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like the perfect poster boy for the party. Could be the next Donald Trump.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This could #BeBad

3. fattz

fattz Member

The thing I like best about White is sets a goal and then goes after it.

Basketball => lottery talent => championship
    MMA => UFC
    Political Office => ???

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The precursor to Royce White presidential run. I can see it now Air Force One becomes Greyhound Force One.

peleincubus likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Omar vs Royce... the options just keep getting crappier and crappier....
    like Hillary vs Trump or Trump vs Biden...
    The 2 party political system has FAILED! As South Park eluded, we get the choice of a giant Douche or a Sh*t Sandwich....
    Both sides have retreated to pandering to their fringe hoping to garner the couple more % points they think they need to beat the other guys... whether thats appealing to racists or nut jobs - or trying to scoop clueless homeless people off the street to vote...
    I am pushing for folks to vote for a 3rd party - period.
    If a 3rd party can garner 5% of the vote, then federal funding kicks in for them...
    I believe that is the key to breaking this 2 party deadlock of idiocy!

imo...

peleincubus likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So what makes Ilhan a nut job? Is she the best rep ever? No. I just understand why you think Ilhan is anywhere in the same ballpark of Idiocracy and deplorable as White.

7. kjayp

if u like her and her policies - great, run with that...
    I dont like her, but I was speaking more to the overall dysfunction of both parties...
    I think we have become preconditioned to accept 'the lesser of two evils' - and thats the problem...
    We're typically not voting for someone to whom we would give our full throated support - but rather 'they are better than the other person...'
    We need to expect - and demand - better!

ReverseBjorn, Corrosion and slothy420 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

You think the voters in her district are chosing between two evils or do you think you personally disagree with the voters in that district and their policy goals and priorities? Maybe you are just out of touch with what the voters in her district want?

I'm done with this platitudic "bOtH sIdEs aRe tHe sAMe" bs. Hence why it might seem like I'm lashing out at you specifically. I just want something more concrete than "I don't like her therefore I think she's almost at the same level as an abject troll who literally created a Twitter profile that self labeled himself as "homophobic" as something to be proud of.

I don't like two parties either but if you want a more varied selection of candidates to vote from I suggest looking into primaries.

lionaire likes this.
  9. kjayp

If you think you're tired of 'both sides are the same' - i guarantee you I'm more sick of watching people try to justify asshat moves on BOTH sides of the aisle - bc thats their party so they're gonna support whatever they do bc they wouldnt want to risk those 'crazies on the other side' getting the upper hand on anything...
    IE: No it wasnt a 'hoax that was gonna magically disappear when it got warm' - and it also wasnt the 'great plague' that necessitated we shutter our economy.... I said all along, lets put some precautions in place, protect the high risk and proceed with life in a cautious fashion... but nope... it was either a hoax or the great plague - bc those were the only 2 options we had...
    Both sides are crap.
    I heard at an early age... If you're not a dem by the time you're 20 - then you dont have a heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 30 - then you dont have a brain...
    and I added the caveat - If you're not an independent by the time you're 40 - then you havent been paying attention for the last 20 years...
    I'm 52... i've watched the poltical circus long enough to know that neither of these power and money hungry political parties are gonna lead us to the promised land...

slothy420 and Corrosion like this.
  10. kjayp

and fwiw...
    Favorability of Congresswoman Ilhan Omar among U.S. adults, as of December 2021

Characteristic Share of respondents
    Very favorable 10%
    Somewhat favorable 15%
    Somewhat unfavorable 7%
    Very unfavorable 31%
    Don't know 36%

so you tell me if I'm 'out of touch'... looks like 25% support to me... 36% are clueless... and 38% are disapproving... looks like a mandate to me... lol! The only position held that got a greater % than 'very unfavorable' at 31% is that of ignorance at 36%...
    source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1201723/favorability-ilhan-omar-us-adults/

and those #s arent for just a candidate - those are the #s for the person that won - presumably the best candidate, right? The best candidate gets into office - and posts a 25% approval rating... the system is broken imo...

and as for the primaries... there you have the clusterfk of 'well i like this candidate best - but they couldnt beat so n so in the general election... so i'll have to support the candidate that gives us the best chance of winning...' again... broken!

#70 kjayp, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    Corrosion likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

"US adults" is not the same as the voting population in her district.

You have specific reasons why you are equating her to Royce White besides polls?

12. kjayp

If you want to dig up stats that better support your views - feel free...

I know enough of Omar to know that I do not support her 'woke' views... I've heard her speak enough times that afterward I knew we were not simpatico.
    People I have no respect for: Trump, Biden, Hillary, Romney, AOC, and the list goes on - and Omar is on it.

13. fchowd0311

What is "woke"?

This is America shooting itself in the foot. You obviously are pessimistic of our political system as I am but at least I'll support the few handful of politicians who actually fight for things like ending the revolving door and creating legislation that makes it illegal for representatives to invest in the stock market while in office... You know the things that make us all pessimistic about our political system but here you are with platitudes attacking one of the handful of politicians who actually fights for and supports that reform and dismiss her with vague culture wars vocabulary like "woke".

#73 fchowd0311, Mar 1, 2022
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hello, I read this thread and could not find any roster moves OR game action

15. kjayp

dude, you're free to have your opinions - as am I to have mine... If u think Omar represents some new era of enlightened leadership - then by all means, I would encourage you to lend her your support...
    I do not share your opinion.
    I lean most towards libertarian... I believe in smaller government and greater personal responsibility and accountability. I believe in equal opportunity - not equity and forcing equality of outcome.
    There are many ideologies which look good on paper... I'm more conservative, but heck, true communism would be worth conjecture - were it not for the 'human factor' that inevitably leads to some wanting more and taking advantage of the masses so someone higher up the food chain gets more...
    I think thats the biggest reason for disconnect among differing political beliefs... Some believe that we can build a Utopian society where everybody is taken care of... after you've watched enough administrations, you realize thats just a pipe dream bc there's always people at the top who are gonna grab whatever they can for their own selfish greedy needs...
    ie:
    Obama - 1.3M worth before presidency 70M after presidency
    Bill Clinton 1.3M to 241.5M
    George W 20M to 40M....
    (not to be disingenuous with those stats - much was accumulated after leaving office... but how much were kick backs for 'services rendered' or buying future influence?)
    https://blog.cheapism.com/what-presidents-are-worth/#slide=4

slothy420 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

So support the politicians who actively campaign to end the revolving door, campaign for campaign finance reform and campaign to create legislation to end stock trading for active legislators?

Ah but unfortunately all those politicians that do actually sincerely desire those reforms are going to be labeled "woke". Seems like propaganda from the wealthy class is working.

And why even lead off with "I'm free to have my opinion" rhetoric? Am I preventing you from having a different opinion?

17. kjayp

sorry if my acceptance of someone having an opposing viewpoint irked you... i've seen too many people being intolerable to opposing opinions and having it devolve into insults that I try to be respectful of others - while retaining my opinions... it was intended as simple cordiality...

I'm all for campaign reform... as long as we're cognizant of 'independent' groups that are merely shills for the politician... where it gets difficult is in the question of if you are limiting an individuals right for political expression... (lookup Newt Gingrinch and 'social security dying on the vine' commercials)

Barred from stock trading... i'm all for it... get Pelosi on board...

I'm against term limits... i see the potential benefit - but dont believe we should potentially kick a competent legislator out of office for some unknown commodity just for the sake of change... Thats just gonna enable more Royce White style opportunists to take advantage of situations... and would further exacerbate the 'revolving door' by driving these career politicians to merely move around within the system...

and no... you can hold ALL of those positions (on either side) and not be termed 'woke'...

Woke is the belief in equity over equality.
    Woke is hand outs vs opportunity for sustainable self sufficiency... creating a welfare state...
    Woke is wanting to climb down into everybody individual excuses - rather than just treating everybody equally and fairly regardless of the personal background or circumstance...
    Woke is getting bent over a syrup bottle or a box of rice or a cartoon...
    Woke is being too wrapped up in your own extreme virtue signaling to take the steps to bring about actual incremental change because 'it's not enough' - so nothing changes at all... (see new green deal)

18. fchowd0311

It seems like for you, someone expressing disagreement is akin to saying "I don't believe you hold a right to that opinion". I questioned how you came up with a conclusion that Omar is near the same ballpark as White and you seemed really triggered that someone would dare ask you for a more elaborate explanation of how you got to where you are in your opinion of Omar.

Look, dude it seems like you've got the libertarian platitudic slogans down pat. I've heard the "I believe in equality not equity" line millions of times especially during my time in a right wing bubble (Marine infantry). I understand it's nothing more than an empty platitude that tries to dismiss nuance in debate.

Anyways does your rhetoric imply this:
    "Median Value of Wealth by Race FF(03.11.2019) | Tax Policy Center" https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/fiscal-fact/median-value-wealth-race-ff03112019
    Where the median white household has 10x the wealth of the median black household mean it's equal but not equatable because that naturally occured and therefore implying that naturally white families are 10x more skilled at obtaining wealth?

Do you see how these slogans and platitudes like "equal not equatable" don't nearly fit when nuance is applied?

#78 fchowd0311, Mar 1, 2022
  19. kjayp

See man… that’s the problem with ‘woke culture’ … u r expecting your government to offset the naturally occurring inequities of life… it’s not ok to take something from someone to give it to somebody else - no matter how virtuous your intent…

20. fchowd0311

So you think that the median white family having 10x the wealth of a median black family naturally occured so therefore white people are 10x more capable of generating wealth?

You think disagreeing with that is what "wokeism" is all about huh? Ya you are almost there with saying the loud part out loud.

Anyways I'm not sure I even need a bleeding heart narrative to convince you that those drastic wealth gaps purely defined by race aren't sustainable in a society (sporadic riots, violence etc)

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.