1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley or Lin....long term?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Reach

Reach Member

Really? I think I remember Morey admitting the opposite during an interview. Could be wrong though.

2. Fighton

Fighton Member

you making up stuff now? he actually, in an interview, explicitly said that he still would've signed lin had they known that they would get harden. too lazy to look it up for you but it was in an interview. go find it.

and even if morey does think that lin and harden are redundant and he wouldn't have signed lin if harden was in the fold, do you actually think he'd be stupid enough to say that publicly???? seriously...

3. just a word

just a word Member

Honestly I think it's too soon to tell. I want to see what the off-season brings to both players.

4. just a word

just a word Member

I remember in during that AMA and during spoken interviews on Sportstalk that he would have still signed Lin.

5. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

Beverley. He is just a better basketball player at this point.

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

The thing is, Lin has the better skillset. But Beverly plays harder on defense and makes the right (and safer) plays on offense. He's just a better basketball player at this point. Jeremy could always get better but in how long? Bev's improving RIGHT NOW and is fearless against anybody. Kinda reminds me of a mixture of Lowry & Cassell

7. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

I like Beverley and he was the best player last night but don't forget Beverley also had many more bad games than good games during the regular seasons. Lin played great last night before his injury in the Playoffs and for his inconsistency, he was much more consistent than Beverley in the regular season.

Lin is a better all around play-making PG and starter and Beverley on the other hand, provides great spark off the bench for the team as back up, I think they are good complimentary PG to each other and for the Rockets in the long run.

8. Tommyboys

Tommyboys Member

morey will make the right decision
    although he probably already made up his mind after acquiring harden lin just doesnt fit in our system well see

9. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lin handling the ball was a disaster the first game, he turned the ball over the first freakin play of the game:rolleyes:

Did you not watch the series? Jeremy's very timid and unaggressive. Beverly's energy in BOTH games had a impact. Your talkin as if we're missing Lin's production in which we're clearly not

10. CertifiedTroll

I think Bev should be our long term back up. He brings so much energy, and has the mentality to rise up to big occasions. I would take P Bev as a starter if we used Lins salary for a different piece

11. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

People are forgetting how many stinkers Beverley put out in the regular season. In the playoffs he's been great.
    Interested to see how he reacts to OKC paying him a little more attention next game. No doubt he will be a major focus of the scouting report.

12. AVoiceInACrowd

Why do people keep saying that Lin is getting overpaid? You have to look at it in context. 8.3 million a year is well below average for starting pgs not in their rookie contracts. Of the 30 starting pgs, 13 get paid more than Jeremy this year. There are also 7 pgs in their rookie contracts who are being extremely underpaid (Curry, Lillard, Irving, Wall and Rubio will all get max or near max contracts. Teague and Vasquez will likely get 9 million+ on their new contracts). There are 2 pgs who make less than Lin this year, who have signed extensions paying them more than Jeremy per year. (Ty lawson at 12 mil a year for 4 years and Jrue Holiday at 10+ mil a year for 4 years)

Of the 30 starting pgs, 22 get paid more or will get paid more per year than Lin. So, is he living up to his contract which reflects the payment for a top 23 pg? The answer is a definite YES.

13. dje243

dje243 Member

Beverly hasn't just had "a few good games". This guy has been consistently good and seems to be improving.

14. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Thats pretty dumb to say you're not missing ANY one's production when the team is down 0-2. You most certainly are missing Lin's production... he needs to step up now at home to give that production. Your talkin like Bev won you two games.

15. thekad

thekad Member

Beverley has the much better contract. If Lin can't separate himself from a guy who makes 1/8 his salary, then he needs to be shipped the hell out.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Beverley's value comes from more than what shows up in the stats. Name a game when he hasn't brought tons of energy. Or a game he didn't have more than a PGs fair share of rebounds. Or he didn't have one of those half court steals.

He's shooting 38% from 3. Before the playoffs, the most shots he took all year was 10....so he's not a chucker. He doesn't make the bad plays that cost you games like Lin does.

Other than maybe Asik, Beverley has been the model of consistency on this team.

17. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

If Bev keeps playing the way he is he will get paid.

18. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Really? I mean, Bev is playing well, but his fist touch in Game 1 was a pass to the fifth row.

19. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Lin has a better court vision and passing ability. Lin seems to have a quicker first step. But other than that, I don't know. All I know is Bev doesn't attempt high quality passes that leads to easy baskets, which is good and bad. Let's just say in the current Rockets system, it doesn't matter who plays a PG, because there is no PG.

20. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I wish Rockets ship Lin out, not because I don't like Lin but because the Rockets' system doesn't play to Lin's strengths. This is not to blame Rockets in anyway, because after all, they are the employer and Lin is getting paid decent money. However, I think Lin is trying pretty hard to fit in to the system, and perhaps he will improve next season. I think Lin will still be here for most of next season though.