1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley or Lin....long term?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Apr 24, 2013.

1. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Baymind actually makes a good point. Bev probably is a little better than Lin defensively, but when it comes to guarding good PGs like Westbrook, it does not make much of a difference. Westbrook will still get his points.

2. Fighton

Fighton Member

lin is a much, much better player and pg. how do i know?

without harden and beverley on the floor, lin can still run the team and run it well. for the games that harden sat out, except for the loss to OKC (it's OKC!), when lin is asked to be THE pg and the primary playmaker, he has been very effective.

beverely, though has never been the starting pg when both harden and lin are out, does get the chance to be THE pg with both harden and lin are on the bench. in fact, that happens pretty much every game. the results have been pretty mixed. either the squad that he ran held the lead, or gave up the lead; we've seen that plenty of times. i don't think it's even an argument that he needs either harden or lin on the floor with him. how many times have this phrase been uttered in game threads this year - "either harden or lin needs to be on the floor with the second unit". and when harden is strongly denied the ball like in Q4 last night, bev can't be the other shot-creating option.

beverley is a very good defensive player that plays a certain style very well. he'll get burned time to time but will also get a few steals and frustrate the other pg. that's his role and he plays it very well. but can he play stater minutes with that style and be just as effective over 36 min, for 82 games? and on offense, i don't think anyone believes he can be an effective primary offensive option.

now, on the rockets, which is the better fit? well, i think it's too early to say. we're nowhere close to a complete team. we're a young team trying to develop what we have, and figure what the missing pieces are. it's not like we have all the pieces in place and just looking for a specific type of pg. at this point in time, the smart thing is to keep developing lin, since he's a better PLAYER - a more complete player than bev right now. no, he can't play D like bev, but he plays D well enough to be a starter. give lin and harden time to develop together and figure things out, THEN you can decide if you like what you see from your back court. we've seen glimpse of what they are capable of as a tandem (remember "best back court in the nba?"). let's give this tandem more time to see what they can be on a consistent basis.

1 person likes this.
  3. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Westbrook had a lot of wide open shots and just was missing in the 2nd half. He was Westbrick, which is not that uncommon for him...I wouldn't exactly say it was Bev who contained him. He bricked a ton of open 3's and 2's. He made his layups though when he drove.

4. Fighton

Fighton Member

WRONG. we played zone in the 4th... geez.... you made it sound like he guarded durant straight up the whole quarter and he only gave up 5 pts.

5. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

I like this. Bev is good to bring in at certain moments and situations to disrupt the other team's offense, which is great. Bev does something well, but when it comes to running a team, Lin is the more complete player and should be played for longer stretches of the game. I like it when Lin and Bev play together they seem to function well. And it's true, the coach is still playing around with rotations to see what works and what doesn't...I think a big issue is having a big who can only rebound and can't catch passes and finish. So many times he has been blocked...granted, yes it is OKC, but still. There's a lot of work to be done before the team can be more complete and solid it it's rotations that work.

6. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

this should've been a poll brah

7. Fighton

Fighton Member

of course it's relevant. it shows what his capabilities are. you go with the better overall players, then give it time to see if players mesh well together. 1 season, without training camp or preseason, is not enough to say whether the fit or not.

and if you want to make your decision on what we've seen this year.... remember early in the year when people crowing the lin/harden combo as the best back court in the nba, when they were dishing out 20+ assists and 50+ points per game? we've seen what this tandem is capable of. and it's not just one game... we've seen a good amount of games to know that this tandem can work very well together and very lethal. give it time, and we'll see what they are capable of on a consistent basis.

8. The RavenEffect

I'd like to see both stay.

9. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Exactly what my response was going to be. Morey always seems to find capable /undervalued pgs to fill our system. An area of bigger concern should be who the hell is going to be our PF and C of the future? I love Asik to death, but he has got to finish dunks around the basket. Do a pump fake and finish strong if you have to! Also, he lost quite a bit of easy passes to him near the basket. lets hope he improves when he has the crowd behind him!

10. egriffin1

egriffin1 Member

the way I see it, the fundamental difference in the two is attitude and aggressiveness. I think he will play better because he plays with more aggression and confidence. Lin lacks both more often than not. I believe that next year you open up the competition and if Lin outplays him, start Lin. If he doesn't, start Beverly. I doubt Les will want that because of the Asian market but basketball wise, the best player needs to play.

11. ERC

ERC Member

Why are we choosing when we can keep both?

Beverley brings in tons of great energy, hustle, defense, and rebounds! However, he lacks the skills to get offense going. When Beverley "led" the 2nd unit in regular season, they did well when shots were falling but struggled when Delfino/Garcia went cold.

Lin is the better play-maker and offensive player of the two. In games when Harden sat out, Lin had proven that he could be the #1 scoring option and run the team. However, Lin tends to over-think and gamble too much on defense. And he definitely needs to work on his jump shots in the off-season.

Due to Lin's fan appeal I'm guessing he's keeping the starting gig. But in all honesty, as long as both continue to contribute, it's really not important who gets to start.

12. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

Seriously. Bunch of morons in already acting like both PG's have hit their ceiling, smfh. This is Lin's first full season and he's on a new team... same with Beverley.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Contract wise Beverley.

Lin's contract is up in 2 seasons and he's making $8 million

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Bev is the better PG because his handles are tighter and he doesn't lose his composure, which happens routinely to Lin.

15. t3ddt3ch

t3ddt3ch Member

It's easy for bench players to come out and play with every bit of energy they have. They are well rested and have something to prove. Beverly has good games and bad games, he just happened to have a good playoff game. Both are young and need time to develop. As for now I think the Rockets front office have it right.

16. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

cant wait to see bev after dudes scout him and train for him. i want to see if he can keep up his pace and energy after long minutes.

17. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about. Have you ever played an organized basketball game in your life? You sound like an absolute fool so stop embarrassing yourself and get off the computer. Beverley is twice the defender Lin is, it's glaringly obvious. Beverley has clearly been the better player than Lin this playoffs and to argue otherwise is laughable. I know the only reason you watch the rockets is Lin, but please stay off clutchfans. People like you are singlehandedly making this site unbearable.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fighton

Fighton Member

i think les is smart enough to know that the asian market means ***t if you're not winning. if all you need is an asian dude then everyone would be dying to sign yi jalian, and scouts would be all over china looking for any decent role player.

19. Reach

Reach Member

I think Morey has explicitly stated in the past that if he knew Harden would be on the team, he wouldn't have signed Lin to that contract, which makes sense given that they both have nearly identical skillsets. If Morey can find a reasonable offer for Lin, I think he'll bite.

20. pnr

pnr Member

He never said this. I remember him
    Saying in his first AMA that he would still
    Have signed lin even after they got harden