1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Better Strategy: Trade for Picks or Players?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Feb 11, 2011.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

But it's not a grantee you get that caliber of a player... Hill was 8th overall in a stronger draft class then this years draft.

2. Rockets_4_life

No we wont, his projected as a low lottery pick to mid 1st rounder by most mock drafts. But truth be told I don't think I want him..

His an undersized SG, with a good shooting stroke and dribble drive ability, but I think he will struggle defending either guard position due to his lack of explosion and speed...

If we draft another wingplayer, I want one who has a two way game... Not just one dimensional game...

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The best strategy of the two really depends on the player we're giving up and/or the pick that we're receiving in return.

Also, I have serious doubts that Jimmer will be an NBA player. A lot of scouts are saying his game won't translate well to the NBA (DraftExpress; David Thorpe).

4. Rockets_4_life

Eh, technically that class was considered weak prior to the draft ... and the jury is still out on Jordan Hill, Its WAY to early to pass judgment on a second year player, who's been playing out of position...

5. worzel gummidge

The Rockets have no starting C this year and next. Who's available in free agency or the draft?

If the Magic would deal the rights to Fran Vasquez for Lee they have to look into that.

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I owuld like us to draft Fredette very much. He may lack some physical skills but he has some superstar potential. Superstar potential is all I care about. These projects in the draft next year dont interest me. We are not drafting for more role players with potential. We should draft for potential superstars. Fredette has some of those qualities in the college ranks. I wouldnt mind gambling on a few players like him in this years draft and see what happens. If not? He is the second best SG/PG on our team at worst I think. Try to get two draft picks this year.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

wtf...

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

On the subject of Fredette are there even any Mormon players in the NBA? I think Sean Bradley was but he's gone.

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yeah. He does. Around allstar potential to somewhere in the great SG realm at least. He could be as bad as JJ Redick but Redick is a good player too. Off balance threes that dont have to be set to shoot? Are not a college only skill. Thats a definate transferable off the backfoot or screen three point shot translating to the NBA move. His style is adaptable to the NBA because he doesnt need to be open to hit from long range way beyond the line. Its not just stats but the moves and ways they score that translate to the NBA.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Its a move akin to what Reggie Miller and Ray Allen use to shoot threes. Quick shot, long range, off balance if he needs to be, falling away, in rythm off screens. Very translatable to the NBA how Fredette scores. He doesnt need to be a set shooter or open to score.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Although if you do give him the open look? He does bury the set shots too.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

BYU fan?

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Since this year. :)

14. Trackball

Trackball Member

It's very simple.

The draft is a crapshoot.

Trade for known quantities: players.

15. FullMetal Sage

Everyone keeps saying this, but I have a GOOD feeling this draft will surprise a lot of people. Because theres no Wall or Griffin so far this year, but Kemba, Irving, Perry and Terrance Jones, Jared and quite a few other guys have chances too be stars in the NBA.

16. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

He's always played PG in college. Why would he change positions after being drafted? He has a Deron Williams type build and is a great scorer. He can definitely "create" for himself.

The problem is on the defensive end of the floor. Lateral quickness? Can he stop the Derrick Roses, Chris Pauls, and Rajon Rondos of this league among others?

17. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

You guys keep saying to trade for the known commodity, but it appears we've been trying to do that and can't get ther player we need.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Celtics got Ray Allen for the #5 pick in the draft, iirc. That means the Rockets would need to be willing to give up Kevin Martin to draft that high. Just so you know what it takes to move up in the draft. The days of getting the #2 pick for Antonio Davis appear to be long gone. Is Morey willing to do what it takes to move up that high?

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

For Jeff Green, most likely and hopefully not. For Brandon Roy, of course he would. Not all 5th picks are equal, and thankfully Morey does not make these decisions in a vacuum. This is why we should wait until the draft and see all of our available options before trading away valued assets.