1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Franchise Player: Yao or Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsAstros, Nov 4, 2004.

Tags:
?

Better Franchise Player: Yao or Francis?

1. Yao

237 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. Francis

131 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

wow, since when 2 games count as a "full season"?

2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Can we say Francis averaged 29 pt 9 rbs 7 ast this full season?
    RocAstros is underrating Francis. :D

23 pts 7asts 6rbs. He wouldn't have been traded if he could get 20 pts 7 asts 5 rbs. :rolleyes:

3. littlefish_220

I have to say yao is unpredictable, highly unpredictable. As to steve, he has the heart, the courage, and some skills. He can be a franchise player of an average team, not a title contender team. It is not because he doesn't work hard enough, it is just the limitation of his talent and his understanding the game.

-Littlefish

4. RocketsAstros

RocketsAstros Contributing Member

Sorry guys, you got me. I mean this is his his third season.

5. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

The problem is that his 'potential' when he was first drafted was to be a good finesse type player. If he had been playing as a finesse player from the beginning until now, I think you would be seeing a 20 point scorer (although rarely from the post). Now that he has to redirect his 'potential' into some type of power game, it's going to take a while - like years or never.

So, I guess you're right - maybe Francis is the better choice.

6. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Can we have a list of posters who predicated the title contender for the Rockets this year, and Yao a top 5 or 10 player, and a list of those who bashes both the team and Yao after two freaking games? I bet those two lists of the names will look pretty similar.

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Yao, he still has more potential for great things. However, if at the end of his all important 3rd year he doesn't get to teh point of domination, then I would have to go with Francis.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

This is why i don't read much in the GARM

9. PXZ

PXZ Member

Well, Stevie had been doing better than 20-7-5 three years in a row before JVG.

2000-2001: 20 ppg, 7rpg 6.5 apg
    2001-2002: 22 ppg, 7 rpg, 6.4 apg
    2002-2003: 21 ppg, 7 rpg, 6.2 apg

Some people are just fixed on his stats last season. Well, T-Mac is 19 ppg and 37% FG right now under JVG.

10. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

After 2.024 season in the NBA, Yao is as expected at this time not dominant, but in due time...........so its a no brainer............YAO.

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yao, but he isn't making the difference convincing enough for comfort right now.

12. vincejas

vincejas Member

Here we go again. I dont know why people say yah yao is only on his third year blah blah blah. Its only the second game of the season blah blah blah. What makes you think that hes going to play different in the next games???? I just cant see the logic about it. Hes already on his third year. My God, dominate. He's a 7'6 NBA player whose skills are not limited to that of shotblocking like a bradley, rebounding like a muresan or scoring like a smits or passing like a sabonis. He has it all. And that makes him special. But hes not using it to his advantage. He lets people smaller than him to bully him (eg brian grant, ben wallace, ed najera and many others) continues to commit the same mistakes like putting the ball down where the defense can disrupt you. Its so frustrating to watch yao the first two games. And with tmac, i hope yao's game will not regressed becoz this is tmac's team now whether he likes it or not. TMAC is just 5x better than yao right now.

13. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

orlando are going all the way this year

orlando is going to own us in both games this year

orlando is going second round playoffs

we are going to go nowhere with this team we will never improve upon PG even with sura, no improvement in pf or sf

i only remember 1 or 2 games where yao was memorable

i am a rockets fan:cool:

14. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

And yet, even in his rookie year, Hakeem was far better than Yao is now.

15. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Im just going with who has shown it so far and it is Steve. Steve wouldve been a better leader for us last year without van gundy. I will change my opinion when Yao acts like a leader more.

16. jlwee

jlwee Member

hey, i dont care francis average 20pts 7 rebs 7 assts any time of his careers but if u r having good stats yet your team cant make playoffs u r considered a failure. That's why francis is being traded. Now about yao, he may or may not lead us to champioships, but he got 'potential' to do so, that's what Les sees it, tha's what JVG sees it, that's what t-mac sees it and the list go on and on. Whethe he eventually will win c the ring for the rockets or not is a bet that most of the ppl in the rockets organisation have to gamble on it. They tried francis who is a great player but failed.. so they move on....

17. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Guys, still remember the fact that when SF scored well the Rox tend to lose, while Yao did well the team likely would win???

18. PXZ

PXZ Member

T-Mac led his team to the worst record in NBA. Should we waive him right now?

19. jlwee

jlwee Member

well, if the t-mac and yao combo cant win in the next 2-3 seasons then do u think either of them wont get traded??/ What i mean, Francis' experiment failed so we move on to yao/t-mac...

20. PXZ

PXZ Member

If you just check NBA.com, you would not come out looking like a fool.

We were 16-13 in the games When steve was the highest scorer last season.

We were 15-12 in the games When Yao was the highest scorer last season.