1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Call Saul Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Jan 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If his life of living a free man was in severe enough danger? (which it was)... yeah, I do. I'm just not pinning expectations that the entire BCS universe and characters all get settled prior to BB... they very much could coexist, we just are oblivious to it because BB was the show.

Like its been hinted earlier... there's a chance we have a BCS season (or episode) post BB, looking at Saul in Omaha possibly trying to get back to the ones he left.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Because, the worst that happens to Chuck is that his firm loses a client. The worst that can happen to Jimmy is that he can be imprisoned. Chuck's sneaky actions are meant to permanently damage his brother's career- Jimmy's actions were done to help Kim and, at the most, embarrass his brother.

But, considering the poster, I'm not surprised at all you side with Chuck.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You are forgetting the other victim; the bank. This is Chuck's main beef with Jimmy's actions. He was clear about it last episode. You also have yet to explain what actions Chuck has taken that are wrong in regard to finding out his brother just damaged his career. Jimmy could also of helped Kim by getting her new clients or talking to Mesa Verde. Jimmy went for the unethical shortcut as he always does.

Also take your political views out of the hangout.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't think Chuck gives a crap about the bank, you realize the whole sob-story was planned to make Jimmy confess? And the career of a lawyer of his status wouldn't be destroyed by one case, Howard was devastated by the idea of losing him.
    Jimmy did it for Kim and didn't want to hurt anyone, Chuck on the other hand is clearly doing this for selfish reasons and to hurt his brother.

5. tallanvor

Chuck has spent the entirety of 2 seasons talking about how the law is sacred and Jimmy would abuse it and hurt people with it (chimp with a machine gun). It is not selfish to fear his brother hurting others. In this case it's Mesa Verde. Every time Chuck has tried to keep Jimmy down it is because of what he fears Jimmy will do to others (rightfully so in this case). This is not to say Chuck is a good brother, but he is right to be terrified of Jimmy.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And despite all of that, their dying mother's last words are calling out for Jimmy... and Chuck is so upset at that, and the fact that Jimmy was more worried about eating at that time, that he decided to lie to him.

Chuck has a deep-set vendetta against Jimmy... that is the point of establishing all the flashback scenes. This goes well beyond simply sanctifying the law. His psycho-somatic condition is very well the result of something that happened with Jimmy.

7. tallanvor

When in the show has Chuck hurt Jimmy out of sheer spite or ill will as you are suggesting? The only time I can think of is not telling Jimmy his mother's last words. He has helped him out many times. Gotten him out of jail, a job, helped him with his cases, etc... Not really spiteful actions.

8. SuraGotMadHops

This. Once Jimmy saw that this stunt harmed Chuck, both at the copy center, hospital, and resignation from HHM, it broke his heart, he felt guilty, and tried to make it right. Chuck really does seem to have a deep rooted resentment against his brother.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its a deep-setted vendetta. At his roots, Chuck knows right from wrong. He legally hasn't been wrong... but if the roles were reversed, Jimmy wouldn't be going out of his way to play a game of "gotcha!" with Chuck, even if he knew Chuck was wrong, because he's his brother.

To go to these lengths against your own kin... the one who takes care of you when you can't take care of yourself... requires some major issues. Chuck didn't have to tape record Jimmy... there was nothing to be gained except trying to get Jimmy in trouble (the client was only reluctantly committed to HHM anyway). THAT is spiteful.

10. tallanvor

Sure there was. to tell the client or Kim. To help the client. That's not spiteful or selfish. Also to uphold the law, also not spiteful or selfish. To undo the damage done to his firm. Not spiteful but maybe selfish.

These are the things Chuck has claimed he cares about the entire series. There could be some hatred of Jimmy, but that doesn't have to be his intent. His actions next season will show what his goals are.

#530 tallanvor, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The client that didn't really want to go with HHM in the first place? The client that has been kept in the dark (literally) regarding Chuck's "condition"? The client that would be better served by Kim? (even Chuck knows this)?

Him playing this game has nothing to do with the client or his firm... its entirely to do with him exposing Jimmy... that is what VG is hammering home (just in case you didn't get it in the first season, when it was revealed that it was Chuck all along that wanted to keep Jimmy from getting a real job as a lawyer).

"some" hatred? Its the entire premise for the show, and very well is the impetus that creates Saul Goodman.

I'm sorry you missed it... I hope you look forward to discovering it next season when they somehow hammer it home yet again (through another 4 or 5 flashbacks? Through another reveal that shows Chuck doing something to try and strike down Jimmy?... I guess sometimes they really do have to dumb it down).

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just to interject....it's perfectly OK for viewers to interpret shows differently.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed, that is always a hallmark of a great novel, show, movie. However, most writers are often attempting to develop characters in a way that fits the scope of their actions.

Its perfectly ok to presume that Chuck really feels he's doing this for the good of the client, and because he respects the law... however if there weren't repeated scenes where he is shown to develop resentment to how much Jimmy is liked, or how Jimmy always seems to get away with it, or already completed actions of where he purposely attempted to stop Jimmy from rising up... I would believe his intentions were "good and innocent" just a tad bit more.

Characters also do change. Walt went from performing an illegal activity solely to help his family due to his condition... to doing it solely to help himself and stroke his own ego.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Question:

How did Mike know about that house? I guess I missed something from a previous episode. Will re-watch.

Also, why no takes on who left the "Don't" note. Sounds like something Nacho would say, and maybe Nacho put surveillance on Mike. It's also a probable lead into who we are going to meet from BB next season. Someone who is watching Hector as well. Someone who doesn't like the cartel. Someone who likes chicken? Seems like a cool way for Gus and Mike to meet: Is via mutual interest and by Gus being impressed with Mike's commando skilz seeing them from afar.

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

In the last scene Jimmy almost taunts Chuck saying he'd be the only McGill still practicing law if he retires, as if he was foreshadowing future events.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He followed them?

I thought it was presumed it was Gus... or an associate of Gus'. I actually think Nacho is not 100% devoted to the Salamanca's... a sorta double agent?

I was disappointed that not much more was revealed from the Mike story this episode (literally, nothing... except that somebody is watching him).

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, could be Nacho tipped off someone that Mike might try something "stupid," -- ie stupid from their more educated, long-play, perspective. Or, the surveillance was just Gus without any Nacho connection. But Nacho did stand right in front of Hector the whole time. Coincidence?

My thoughts are really just about Nacho's story. Is he connected with the surveillance of Hector/Mike -- double agent like you say. It would certainly allow Nacho's story arc to result in his demise before BB.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, Chuck basically hates the fact his brother always takes shortcuts and gets away with everything. He's both jealous and resentful of his brother, you could even see this when another firm allowed him to work and shortcut his way. He resents the fact that his father and mother both loved Jimmy, I mean even though his father knew about the till he never blamed him, and then the scene with their dying mom calling out for Jimmy, and Chuck not telling Jimmy about that.

On top of it Chuck has been played by Slippin' Jimmy a lot, and he's tired of it especially that he has been bailed multiple times by him. And then that Law Degree, instead of Chuck being happy he was pissed/resentful about it. I have a feeling the tape recording will lead to him not being allowed to practice law (comment about only McGill left) and forcing him to change his name or something etc. Chuck basically has had enough and had to game his brother for the truth. Even though Jimmy cares about family, Chuck will probably be his final separation.

I mean Chuck is probably even resentful that Jimmy has a gf still, if you noticed... Chuck's wife really loved Jimmy's jokes/personality, and then Chuck tried to do it and failed. I mean clearly she left him once he lost it with his condition, he's still trying to play her music on the piano (her name was at the top "Beth").

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry wrote out more... Not sure if all was pointed out. But Chuck has basically always resented Jimmy.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

And sorry on wall of text, was basically pointing out and I agree with you on resentment Chuck feels towards Jimmy. It's pretty much clear as day.

Haha, even Chuck re-telling the cash register story. And then the part where Ernesto flat out lied about the phone call not only to help Jimmy, but also because he has seen first hand that Chuck doesn't treat Jimmy nicely (ever).