1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Actor: Robert Downey Jr or Johnny Depp

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Oct 10, 2013.

?

Who is the Better Actor

1. Robert Downey Jr

38 vote(s)
    38.4%
  2. Johnny Depp

48 vote(s)
    48.5%
  3. They about the same

13 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which do you consider the better Actor?

Some say Robert plays himself
    and
    johnny just does weird stuff now

both are entertaining

Rocket River

2. New Generation

Johnny by a long shot. Robert plays the character (which is typically just himself), says the lines, gives the emotions, and pops out a movie.

Johnny does all of those things, but he adds his own flare and creativity to it. Actually, I have no idea if it's his intentions or not, but he manages to always create a character model that instantly takes the attention of the viewer.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Downey's always been better; Depp is just a really cool guy who challenged himself early on with good scripts. Unfortunately now they're both making films I just can't watch.

4. droxford

droxford Member

Are you kidding?!?!?!

Did any of you see Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder?!?!

RDJ by a landslide!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't see Downey Jr. in Chaplin, but heard he was good. Seemed fine in that movie with Jamie Foxx too. Depp, I don't know man... Depp does seem to do weird ****. I'm not big on either in terms of pure acting prowess.

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I dunno, they both have different styles. But I guess it really doesn't matter anymore because all they do know is cash Disney checks.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Denzel is better/close thread!

8. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

If the role doesn't call for condescending, arrogant, pompous, genius, then Robert Downey can't do it. I know he's done lot's of different roles, but when you look at Johnny Depp's biggest (most notable) movies; Edward Scissor hands, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Tourist, the roles are somewhat different.

Robert Downey's biggest films; Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, he plays virtually the same character. I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, but I think he technically is acting, but one could make a very strong argument that he's just being himself in costume....

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Heck, no. :eek:

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

RDJ just bipolar and confuses his realities.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

RDJ is really good in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

Neither actor seems to have a lot of range .. but I'll go with Downey, Jr.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Then Leo it is.

13. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

James Spader in his prime >>>>>>> Depp & Downey

14. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I guess it is true....

[​IMG]

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes, I'm really "hatin'" on how he's the same actor in every movie. :rolleyes: WOE is me.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Ten years ago, I would have said Depp, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Depp's problem is that he can't play normal people. Unless the character is bizarre, and I mean extremely bizarre, his performance is wooden. Another problem is that Depp can't do comedy, and he has wisely avoided doing much of it in his career.

Downey is more versatile, drama, comedy, and even eccentric characters, too. His performance in Chaplin is perhaps better than anything Depp has ever done, and certainly one of the best dramatic performances in modern film. The fact that he did that film right smack dab in the middle of his wild years is a testament to his enormous talent.

So I would say that Downey is better at playing normal (or semi normal) characters, and Depp is better at playing bizarre and eccentric characters.

Lastly, imagine Downey playing Jack Sparrow. He could do it, and he could do it well, but his performance wouldn't (and couldn't) match Depp's. Now imagine Depp in Chaplin. It would have been a disaster. Flip that around, and I think Downey would have been better in Public Enemies and Depp would have been better in - well, now that I think about it, Depp would not have been better in Tropic Thunder, so perhaps Downey is better at playing eccentrics than Depp is at playing straight roles, which would mean that Downey gets a slight edge in versatility.

So it's Robert Downey Jr over Johnny Depp by a small margin.

;)

1 person likes this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

So Less than Zero to Bad Influence.

18. SK34

SK34 Member

[​IMG]

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that Denzel is an ovverated actor or not as good as Depp or Downey because he always plays the same character. Let's face it, most actors gravitate toward roles in their wheelhouse. Denzel with the dramatic, Depp with the quirkiness, Downey with the sly arrogance, Mel with the martrys, Tom Hanks with the everyman hero, etc.

Personally I prefer Downey's brand of acting right now because Im a bit tired of Denzel and WAY tired of Depp. But I'd say Denzel is the most powerful of the three, Depp the most vesatile and Downey the most effortless.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think both are pretty one dimensional. Drop does nothing but cooky characters without any depth any more. RDJ does a lot of stuff where he basically is just tony stark in a different movie, but I think he ultimately is more versatile. I'll take rdj