1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

**** Beto

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CCorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Off the top of my head @cml750 @ROXRAN @Space Ghost @Astrodome are all folks I consider to be good faith actors. I have rarely if ever seen them be dishonest, obtuse, etc.

They can be wrong (even to the point of near absurdity) but that's a different matter.

There's a few others who probably used to qualify but have since turned so cynical that their entire mode of operation here is just trying to get a rise out of liberals which is boring at best.

Astrodome and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Regardless of how people feel about Abbott, the reality is is that there's enough people who would vote for him purely because he's a Republican and they would never vote for a Democrat. Sadly, this is the state of Texas politics.

LondonCalling, Rocket River and Ziggy like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure what being a national figure would look like for him. The only national election to run in is President. And he can't get any credibility to run when he is unemployed. He could get an appointment to a federal agency, I suppose, but he seems like not a bureaucrat. He could be a pundit, but he'd quickly get annoying and be reviled. He could go live in New Mexico a while and then run for office there. I think that's what he should have done instead of running for president.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's been so long since I've seen anything from cml I can't even remember his style of posting. I consider Space Ghost very weird, but not necessarily conservative exactly. He is probably posting in good faith. Honestly, I go back and forth on Astrodome.

Roxran posted this when Ruth Bader Ginsburg died-

For that, and many other psychopath-lite comments, he can **** all the way off.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

TBH that's pretty tame by D&D standards.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Running for POTUS was such a big mistake for him. Not running against Cornyn was a second mistake. When (if I guess) he loses to Abbot that will all but end his political relevance. He hasn't served in the Biden admin, hasn't held a statewide office and has lost two high profile campaigns and didn't show up for the third (POTUS).

ElPigto likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It will only end his career if someone better in Texas comes along and replaces him (much like how Buttigieg ate his lunch in 2020), but that is unlikely.

He'll have a solid shot at Cruz in 2024, but will likely miss again unless something Obama level insane happens to boost D turnout.

If the Dem Presidency slot is open in 2028 he will make a solid try at it. After that it might be lights out, buy hey, Biden was a late bloomer too.

Circumstances beyond control dictate so much of this.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hey may run against Cruz in 24, but by then he will be a two time state loser and will be seen more like Chris Bell than as a real candidate. Running for POTUS in 2028 after he's lost THREE TX state races and a POTUS race would be particularly juicy.

Biden was a late winner for the POTUS race, but in the meantime he was a powerful senator and a vice president. Beto will be have gone 10+ years without doing anything but giving some fun speeches.

King1 likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Like I said, America forgives and forgets.

Beto has stepped in a pile of dung a time or two, but he's staying around and somewhat relevant, which is often the hardest thing to do.

I agree that if he loses in 2024, it will be hard to argue he's a legitimate contender for Prez in 2028, but charismatic people who can raise money are not to be underestimated in politics.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, I read an article that looked at election history and apparently, people who lose twice are almost never successful in subsequent elections. There are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule, America sees unsuccessful candidates as losers.

FranchiseBlade and Rocket River like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Beto blew his wad too early
    The Presidential Run was a collossal blunder
    I think Coryn was the shot he should done next
    Or
    Something more active

Should have rolled back his gun position

Rocket River

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm told that Beto has done a lot of party mechanics work before this campaign and that he's been good for organizing the state party and running voter registration efforts. Don't know to what degree that's true. But, it is possible to be useful without winning.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

King1 likes this.
  15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That's what his supporters look like on this board
    Have you seen DD? Lol. Jabba the hut Jr. No pride on how they look. Just talk pn the internet all day.

Salvy likes this.
  16. Salvy

Salvy Member

These are the one's saying, "You're in a cult lel's"

[​IMG]

King1 likes this.
  17. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Why haven’t they done it?

18. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Think I saw them the other day at a Landry’s.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Well at least they are helping support The Rockets...

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

@DonnyMost has mentioned a couple times that voters are forgiving ..... they won't forgive / forget "we're coming for your guns" .... Not in Texas they won't.

All Abbott has to do is play that clip a few times .... game set match.

Beto has a better chance of winning a nationwide election than one within the confines of Texas.

Rocket River, King1 and DonnyMost like this.