1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BETA Sign-Up] Movie Pass Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Same here. Will keep my MoviePass but will definitely try this out for 3 months. I love AMC Prime so this is a definite for me. Wonder how MP will respond and if Regal does something.
    [​IMG]

LCAhmed and Dave2000 like this.
  2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I heard Regal has a subscription service over in the UK for $25/month, not sure if it includes any premium showing benefits

Snow Villiers likes this.
  3. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Man, the ability to reserve tickets online is huge. That's the only negative of Moviepass. The nice theatre near me is AMC but it's about 15-20 minutes away. So me and my girlfriend will check Fandango, see what seats are still left, and if there aren't many, we just give up. Don't want to make the drive only to arrive to a full theater.

Other times, we'll go early in the morning to get our tickets for later. Or with Infinity War, we just had to pay full price.

Dave2000 likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah i'm doing it for Dolby. You still get the points for the membership fees added to your stubbs so that's a sweeter for me. I'm spending about $35 a month for Dolby movies anyway.

Movie Pass messed up taking away the ability for me to pay the difference to watch a movie in Dolby or IMAX. I would keep MP if they allowed it but since they don't anymore I'm out. Since AMC being my preferred loyalty plan I'll be switching and paying the extra money I pay anyway.

MP also removed the ability for me to purchase tickets for shows at SMG without me actually being at the theatre. That pissed me off.

#164 REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    LCAhmed and Dave2000 like this.
  5. Dave2000

Really? I just tried now and worked fine

6. REEKO_HTOWN

Haven't been able to since a week ago. I would buy my ticket in the morning for an afternoon showing. Now I have to be within a mile to order.

7. Dave2000

hmmm, tried SMG on the Beltway/Pearland,I went all the way to picking my seat, didn't hit submit to purchase it

8. REEKO_HTOWN

Maybe they fixed it. I’ll havent tried since friday

9. Dave2000

Welp, MoviePass is going to start "surge" pricing

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/21/17489242/moviepass-surge-pricing-cost

10. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Dave2000 likes this.
  11. Dave2000

FYI, for a work around, reserve your tickets online with Fandango, before you get to the theater, cancel it on Fandango, they refund you the whole amount minus convenience fees but if you use your Stubs account, no convenience charge is given, it frees up those seats instantly, then buy your ticket with your MoviePass at the theater. I did it for Infinity War, worked just fine.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  12. jsingles

jsingles Member

Hopefully won't make much difference to me then. I try to see a movie after it's been out for 2 weeks or more, I don't want a large crowd anyway. I just need MP to stay afloat through the summer, after that I'm cancelling anyhow.

13. Dave2000

FYI, got the email that price surging starts today, rolling out to cities slowly, haven't noticed any "flash" icon on my showtimes yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This really doesn't affect me, I usually go when it isn't crowded, and if I do, I'll just use my AMC A List membership, I've seen Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom Dolby Screening of it, and watching Ant Man and The Wasp in Dolby tonight also

Yay for competition!

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Not surprised they did it on the Morning of "Ant-Man+Wasp" Good thing I also have AMC to rely on :D

Dave2000 likes this.
  15. Dave2000

One thing I did notice is that I couldn't use the A List on IMAX 3D showing of Ant Man over at Studio 30, oh wells....going to First Colony on their Dolby Showing instead

16. Dave2000

For those who is using A List, have they really checked for your ID when they scan your phone/ticket? I've only been asked once over at Gulf Pointe, while the other times at First Colony, they haven't asked

17. REEKO_HTOWN

Yep. The ticket that gets printed has a ID stamp in bold so when you get to the ticket taker they see it and they ask. So far it's happened both times but the person doing it was an older lady so she was probably just doing it right.

I don't expect it to be strict with the younger folks working. I'm loving A-list so far though. Watching Equalizer tonight in Dolby.

18. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

They asked for my ID at the AMC Studio 30 on Dunvale.

19. Dave2000

You print your tickets out? I just have them scan my phone with the QR code, I guess the young ones over at First Colony don't care, and I probably had the same old lady at Gulf Pointe. I've seen Jurassic Park, Ant Man, Skyscraper in Dolby. Watching Equalizer tomorrow night at IMax in the Fountains.

Tbh, I'm using A List as my secondary to watch the big movies in the premium formats and keeping my Moviepass to use everywhere else for my indie fix or movies that just doesn't need premium format like Uncle Drew :D

#179 Dave2000, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I wouldnt mind going over to the A-List but there are no AMC that close by to me. The closest one is about 25 minutes away and in downtown ft. worth so parking is another issue and that theater even though they upgraded to recliner seats is pretty old and run down. The closest nice AMC theater with a Dolby Theater is about 35 minutes away. I have 3 other nice theaters within 10 minutes of me (regal, Cinemark and Moviehouse Eatery) that are my goes to so Moviepass is still the best option.

The surge pricing SUCKED though - pretty much every movie at any theater on Sat/Sun was surge pricing. Only exception among the movies I haven't seen yet were Incredibles 2 and Tag. I am guessing they are going to do that Fri-Sun from now on. All showings was set to surge in the morning. I get when MP is trying to do and I am not upset at the measures they are taking I am upset of the lack of communication and clarity from them. All they say is surge is determined by region but not how its calculated or what. No way every showing for pretty much every movie would be set to surge that early in the morning.

I went Tuesday to see Purge and the theater was pretty packed (more than half) and I would guess most of that is due to MP (theater does do discount concessions on Tuesdays too). I find it hard to believe that a movie like purge would pack a theater like that on a weekday night 2 weeks after release (esp since its Rated R).

I maybe regulated to watching movies during the week now, not a huge deal for me but sometimes I am free on the weekends and catching a movie is a nice way to spend the time.

Dave2000 likes this.