1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BETA Sign-Up] Movie Pass Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I usually go to the movies during the week since it takes a hour or so in traffic to get home from work. I have 3-5 theaters around work where I can catch a movie, then go home to no traffic. Most are not AMC, so that's one of the main reason why I'm keeping it.

How much is the surge pricing for you? I saw it last Friday on my phone for like $2.25? I mainly saw it for all the new movies released last week, yet a few like The Purge was still surging. I noticed today, none of the new ones tonight are price surged, yet at least.

2. Dave2000

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It was a fun run. Horrible business model with no chance of sustainability, and this was always known to be the end-game...but damnit I saved a lot of money going to the movies this past year or so.

Thanks Moviepass. I'll miss you.

LCAhmed and Dave2000 like this.
  4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

5 1/2 year long journey my friends. End of an era :(

5. Dave2000

Since I can still use it at Studio Movie Grill and River Oaks, maybe I should take advantage of that before I have to strictly use AMC A List

6. Dave2000

https://www.moviepass.com/service_updates_20180727/

That last quote brings back memories of the whole Comcast Houston fiasco with other cable/satellite providers

Interesting to see that the theaters that have E-Ticket (Studio Movie Grill and Landmark Theater) do not have peak pricing for any movie. Alamo Drafthouse use the same ticketing system they do, hopefully they will implement with Moviepass when their Sugarland location opens

FYI, Mission Impossible blocked for AMC,Cinemark, Regal, but can watch it without peak pricing at Studio Movie Grill, they really want you to go to the theaters they have partnerships with.

#186 Dave2000, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I'm loving AMC A-List so far. Definitely recommend.

Dave2000 likes this.
  8. jsingles

jsingles Member

Got a good run out of Moviepass over the summer. Almost feel bad for the company, even worse for the shareholders.

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Planned on going to see a movie after work today, but the app is showing no screenings for any theater that doesn't do e-ticketing. Looking at Twitter, this seems to be a widespread issue. I think I've already gotten my money's worth on my annual membership in just 4 months of using it, so I won't be too upset if this is the end. I will definitely miss it though.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

If you make a pass at a movie, be prepared two things, the mov 2 movement, and getting laid as long you give the girl some coke cola.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

If you're a venture capitalist that invested money in something a 4th grader could see had zero chance of succeeding, then I don't feel bad for you at all.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am going to try sinemia, its a bit pricier in that its upfront and fewer movie but has better flexibility. As I mentioned earlier there isn't an AMC that is nearby where I live (within 10 miles) so going that far or further to use A-List isnt worth it to me. I generally see at most 1-2 movies a month prior to having moviepass but now its more around 4 a month. So Sinemia's 3 a month with one being a "premium" (IMAX, Dolby Cinemia, Dbox) etc is worth it. The other 2 movies can be a regular 3d movie too.

Moviepass had a decent idea just horrible horrible HORRIBLE execution and communication. They are going to be a case study in business classes for sure in the future.

Honestly if Moviepass was up front with the following I think most people would have been cool with it (or at least the type of customers Moviepass wanted to have as their subscriber base) and they would still be around:

- 20/mo (IMO 10/mo was too low of a price point, it drove in subscribers but in a bad way. The low price allowed everyone to realistically purchase it. This cause the probability of fraud and abuse to go up exponentially. Going to the movies is supposed to be a luxury is most countries, at 10/mo moviepass eliminated the "luxury" factor from it)

-Can only see each movie once in the theater. You wouldn't be "barred" from seeing a movie twice but on the second time you pay a small fee to see it again (maybe like 3-4 dollars?)

-Can only see major hollywood releases only two weeks after release date. You can go see it opening weekend or the 2nd weekend but you will pay a surge fee for that. This probably would be a bit more than the seeing a movie a second time fee. This shouldn't be applicable to independent films that may not be running for more than 2 weeks. It should be easy to see what studios would count as a major hollywood release (Disney, Fox, Universal, Paramount, WB, Lionsgate etc)

-potentially have a rewards system that would allow you to avoid the surcharge. The rewards system would be doing surveys/focus groups etc. If their plan was to get data then getting more customized or unique data would be worth it for them.

If all of this was part of the plan from the get go I think most people would be on board. To add restrictions afterwards in the manner they did a lot of customers felt "cheated/lied to" about what they signed up for. Of the people I know that have MP that were the most vocal about the changes they were the ones that said they would hardly ever go to the theaters prior to movie pass because it was too expensive. And they were also the ones that would go at least twice a week. The ones that were like "well it sucks but its still way better than buying tickets like I used to" were the ones that would go maybe 1-2 twice a month to the movies prior to getting moviepass.

jsingles likes this.
  13. Dave2000

Sineimia would probably have more customers if it wasn't for the yearly upfront cost. Maybe 3-6 month contract would be more bearable but I get it, people would only sign up for the summer.

I get what MoviePass is doing, their $10/month plan just wasn't sustainable. if they did for a 6 month pricing, then $15, then $20, that would've been better for them. Hell, I was getting the service back in Jan 2013 when it was $30/month, then jumped to $35/month.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Selling something for way less than it would cost? They had a stupid idea and the managed to find some suckers to pay for it.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Again, if you think that was the model then you don't understand business in the modern era. Moviepass was trying to garner relationships and eventual use user data as a better diagnostic for movie theaters in general. The industry, if they just bought in would and could have made a killing. The issue is, they didn't want to change and have the power to block it.

It's like look at music before Napster. Napster arguably begat services like spotify. Now spotify and apple music are the primary means for a decent amount of people. What Napster brought in is the idea that we are paying too much for music, and the industry didn't want to change that. After Napster they kind of had to. I would argue things are much better for users now too. Heck, things are better for the industry too. Now, instead of users buying music, they are trapped in perpetuity to rent it.

Moviepass shouldn't have gone to $10. They needed meteoric growth, but they also needed to have the systems they discuss in place as well. Like the systems where they recommend a movie that might not have the advertising budget to users, and yes, even more notification spam. They should have done more with user data and used that as leverage as well. If they could show that theaters where moviepass users frequent also show an uptick in concessions sales, the industry could and would have adjusted. They didn't have those in place and just focused on user growth. Now they have a monster on their hands. I still think it's an excellent idea, I just think they need to focus on making money now. Surge pricing and blocking out movies is being pennywise, but not dollar conscious.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

while the tickets were being sold at a loss the data they were getting to sell to marketing firms and studio was their idea of making a profit and of course if they were able to get enough of a movie going population to their business then leverage that into getting discounts on tickets from theater chains etc.

The price point was set way too low though.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Movies should just go back to being retail price.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, this never had a chance. It was a decent idea, but really needed to be more of a studio or theater company launching it if they wanted to price it so low. I know people who were seeing at least 5 movies per week on it. If you saw one movie a month you were breaking even.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Moviepass is 1 of the dumbest business decisions I’ve ever seen...I remember when somebody 1st told me about it and I thought they were trying to play me...it sounded too good to be true, I was thinking there had to be some sort of catch

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have had their stock on my phone app for a long time. It was very interesting to watch.