1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BestBuy]Free Phone Friday

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ArtV, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Has anyone picked up on this? Every Friday for the month of October, Best Buy is offering a free phone for new customers or those due for an update. I picked up a Samsung Fascinate (Verizon is the only service we get at our house) today for my son.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/Free+Phone+Fridays/pcmcat221800050002.c?id=pcmcat221800050002

Today's phones are:
    Verizon - Samsung Fascinate
    Sprint - BlackBerry Curve 8530
    AT&T - HTC Aria
    TMobile - Samsung Gravity 3

So far this phone seem like a pretty sweet phone. 1 ghz and 16 gb sd micro included. Nice android phone - for free.

I've got another contract up next Friday...a new list will be out then...

#1 ArtV, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Convictedstupid

This is awesome. So there will be different phones every friday? I've been up for a new phone for a while. Thanks for this.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

andd t-mobile gets the crappiest phone.

4. Convictedstupid

I wish I could see the list for future Verizon phones. I'm not sure whether I should wait or get the Fascinate. This may be a noob question, but did you have to pay for an internet plan on the Fascinate?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, since I just dropped a bunch of money on a smartphone yesterday, this is awesome timing for me.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Anyone else like Human League?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Probably so. I think you can get 2 Fascinates at Verizon if you chose it when you upgrade. I would imagine you can sell that extra for a profit.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You have to sign up for two plans to get two phones, IIRC.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That sucks.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The good news is that it still ends up flooding the market with the phone.

I got my Galaxy S from a lady who said she and her husband signed up for two contracts to get the free extra phone, and she ended up not liking it, so she went back to her old phone... ended up selling it to me for rather cheap.

11. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

For real.. the phones that T-mobile offers for free/low prices are always crap.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have the Galaxy too. I recommend checking out the home switcher app and Launcher Pro. It allows you to get rid of the 4 huge icons at the bottom of the screen and add 15 (scrollable) tiny ones. It also offers a lot of customization.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The Fascinate sells for around 500+ new on ebay. Termination fee is $350. Now to me it's not worth the $100 you might clear from the fees and hassle but you could make money on buying and selling this phone if you already have a phone contract.

Since the Fascinate is new I can't say how durable it is but I will say it hooked me on the droids and is the best phone that Verizon has right now IMO.

And yes - you have to get the $30 data plan. The nice thing is the memory is upgradable. The battery is replacable. Cool apps created by Google - a lot are free. Apple are you listening?

Also has a 5 mp phone and 720 video.

{and I did have to lol when I say T-Mobile's offering. maybe next week.}

#13 ArtV, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I really want that HTC HD2 from t-mobile but its so freaking expensive!! And thats not even including the data plan you have to have per month..

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Tomorrow's free phones are:

Verizon - LG Ally
    Sprint - Samsung Intercept
    T-Mobile - Samsung T
    AT&T - Pantech Pursuit

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Free phones tomorrow are:

AT&T - HTC Aria
    Sprint - Samsung Intercept
    Verizon - LG Ally
    T-Mobile - Samsung Gravity 3

Another meh offering.

Looks like the (Sprint) Samsung Intercept and (Verizon) LG Ally are reruns from last week. I've been holding off using my other upgrade in the hopes picking up a better phone than the Ally. Since Best Buy only offers a limited number of Verizon smart phones that are not free, I was hoping that the 3 remaining Fridays would offer 1 of the 3 Droids they want $200 for - I didn't expect cell phone leftovers. I guess I'll have to wait at least 1 more week.

17. JJ

JJ Member

I picked up the Fascinate yesterday and its pretty legit.

Question: What is the difference between browsing on the 3G network or a (Wi-Fi) wireless network? Is one of them faster than the other? Are there advantages to using either? To me, it seems to be the same thing.

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Depends on what type of connection the WiFi network is using. If you are ten feet from the wireless router providing WiFi and the router is hooked into a corporate T1 line that is wide open, you'll probably get far better results from that as compared to a potentially clogged 3G. Of course if the WiFi router is in heavy use, it might not provide all-that-great results either. Really depends on the network usage and distance from access point for both.

19. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Ugh, so if I had just waited two weeks I could have saved 200 dollars on my Fascinate? Thats saddening

20. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Bought the intercept last month, my timing sucks.