1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best/Worst Films of 2005

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JunkyardDwg, Dec 27, 2005.

1. BMoney

BMoney Member

I saw a bunch of films this year, but most of them were documentaries, or old movies. "Enron: the smartest guys in the room" and "Dig" were excellent. I have "Grizzly Man," Murderball" and the Wal-Mart documentary waiting for me to watch over the next few days, too. For pure entertainment I liked "Kung Fu Hustle" the best this year. Overall, the best movie I saw was the German movie about Hitler's final days called "Downfall." I was also really moved by Gus Van Sant's "Last Days." What a sad and beautiful film. Of the comedies I saw this year I had a great time seeing "40 Year old Virigin" and "Wedding Crashers." I reckon "Batman Returns" and "King Kong" were pretty damn good blockbusters. I even liked the last Star Wars movie. "Sin City" and "Howl's Moving Castle" were great animated features. I still need to see "Capote," "Broken Flowers," "Brokeback Mountain" and "Walk the Line." I don't think it was a bad year for movies, really. I can't think of any movie I saw that I thought completely sucked.

Incidentally, I want to say a word about a place where I was lucky enough to see a few movies this year. The theater that King Kong destroys when he is chained up for display in New York is not a complete CGI creation. All of the interior shots are of the real life Civic Theatre here in Auckland, NZ. It is such a palace! It looks like an Indian temple inside with all of these images of elephants carved into the dark wood and on chandiliers. The intricate craftsmanship is astounding. There is an old fashioned grand staircase leading up to the balconies and upper reserved area complete with beautiful lounges and cafes. The screen is guarded by two giant golden lion statues (with emerald looking glowing eyes) and the ceiling turns into a starlit sky when the lights are turned out with an effect that makes it look like wisps of clouds are passing by. It's just incredible. They don't make them like that anymore.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

I knew how it ended per the original story..so that didn't surprise. I should've been more specific in that the final scene sucked... I find it a little absurd that while the rest of the world lay in complete ruin...this one street of a major metroplitan area was virtually unscathed, it's inhabitants all alive with nary a scratch on them. That ending brought the movie down, just like Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

3. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i liked batman begins alot, that may be my favorite so far this year. i want to see munich and kong though.

my problem with wolf creek was the ending. i know it was "based" on a true story but still, you can't just end a movie like that. not a whole lot of closure to it. okay movie, but i expected more with some of the things said about it.

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Wolf Creek was easily the worst movie I've seen this year, it had no redeeming quality. You thought it was gory? So what, a chick got her fingers cut off, damn that's pretty gory. I like gory films too, but this was just awful.

5. macalu

macalu Member

pretty much the beginning, middle, and end of Mr. and Mrs. Smith brought Mr. and Mrs. Smith down, except for Mrs. Smith herself.

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

It was a good horror film....what was wrong with it? I dont know what you were expecting to see when you went to watch it...

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

ya know, i never even considered that. interesting point.

8. macalu

macalu Member

concerning War of the Worlds, can someone explain to me

********SPOILER ALERT************

why just b/c Tom Cruise was able to destroy one alien machine with the grenade that it brought all the other alien machine's defense's down? it wasn't like that one tripod was the mother ship (or was it?) ala Independence Day.

9. leroy

leroy Member

My favorites for the year are (I didn't see many so the list is easy)...

The Smartest Men in the Room (ENRON documentary)
    40 Year Old Virgin - possibly the funniest movie I have ever seen
    Wedding Crashers - was the funniest until I saw 40 year old virgin

I'm still trying to get out to see Syriana and Good Night, Good Luck.

10. DCkid

DCkid Member

My Faves of the Year
    1. Sin City
    2. History of Violence
    3. Batman Begins
    4. War of the Worlds
    5. The Constant Gardener
    6. Walk the Line
    7. Downfall
    8. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    9. Star Wars Episode III

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

movies that entertained me the most this year in no particular order:

Elektra
    Aeon Flux
    King Kong
    Star Wars III
    Batman
    Land of the dead
    Dukes of Hazzard
    Serenity

That's a pretty pathetic list, and none of them I would call great. There's still a couple of hopefuls out there that I'll get around to eventually.

Crappy movies that I saw:

Sin City
    War of the Worlds
    Constantine
    Narnia
    Assault on Precinct 13
    The cave

I know that there are a ton of crappy movies out there, but I didn't check them out.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

It was a horror film without any horror, that plus bad acting, writing, and directing made it one of the worst movies of the year.

13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Everyones entitled to their opinion...must say I disagree though. I'll leave it at that.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I only saw Star Wars, Harry Potter and Batman. May favorite movies this year, in order, were Star Wars, Harry Potter and Batman.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

macalu,

********SPOILER ALERT************

The grenade had nothing to do with the other tripods malfunctions. I don't believe it was explained in this movie, but the aliens' immune systems could not handle earth diseases.

******End Spoiler*******

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Damn, macalu, pay attention next time. It wasn't explained? It was explained at the beginning and at the end with all the fancy smancy graphics of organic life overlayed with narration. I don't see how you could have missed how the tripods came undone except you just weren't paying attention. What other films did you not understand? Yea...in "Friday the 13th"...the kids didn't die from accidents. They were slaughtered by a maniacal Jason's Mom on a rampage from when her son was left to drown while the camp counselors were necking instead of watching over him. :p

Just kidding around.