1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best/Worst Films of 2005

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JunkyardDwg, Dec 27, 2005.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

With the end of the year upon us, we begin to see a barrage of best/worst lists from critics across all entertainment mediums. So I thought I'd join in on the fun and unleash my best and worst films of the year.

Best Films: My favorite films of the year might not garner any critical awards, but no matter. I loved them all in in different ways. It's a pretty varied list:

10. Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior (fight scenes are unreal)
    9. Steamboy (love the story, characters... superb animation)
    8. Kung Fu Hustle (perfect blend of comedy, action, western, looney tunes)
    7. War of the Worlds (ending sucked, but the rest was nailbiting)
    6. Serenity (never saw Firefly, but maybe I should now)
    5. Batman Begins (this is how Batman should be)
    4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (as good as the outstanding Azkaban)
    3. King Kong (it is what its name implies, but not without its flaws)
    2. Pride and Prejudice (Kiera Knightly is a delight, and the movie embracing)
    1. Star Wars Episode III (yeah its number one wanna fight about it :p ,a satisfyingly emotional, exhaustive and heartwrenching ending to the Star Wars saga, it has its imperfections but it ranks up there with Empire for me)

(Honorable Mentions: A History of Violence, Jarhead, March of the Penguins... haven't seen Syriana or Brokeback Mountain)

Worst Films: I very rarely willingly choose to see a terrible film, so here's my list for films that looked so bad you couldn't pay me to see (but perfect for bad movie night!)
    10. XXX: State of the Union (uneeded sequal to a severly subar movie)
    9. Yours, Mine and Ours (uneeded remake thats been done to death already)
    8. Fantastic Four (Marvel better get its act together)
    7. Alone in the Dark (Uwe Boll)
    6. Son of the Mask 2 (were they serious?)
    5. Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl (this from the director of Sin City)
    4. Stealth (who would entrust Rob Cohen with a 120mill dollar budget)
    3. Elektra (spinoff to the lackluster Daredevil...another Marvel dud)
    2. In The Mix (Usher...that's enough for me... unoriginal story)
    1. Supercross (a direct to video that went to the theaters first)

(Honorable Mentions: Hide and Seek, The Boogeyman, Miss Congeniality 2, Fever Pitch, House of Wax, The HoneyMooners, Valiant, Chicken Little, Yours, Mine, and Yours, Aeon Flux)

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

Agree with you on "In the Mix" being one of the worst movies I have seen (may be ever).

However, your "best list" seems to indicate that you're a superhero/fiction movie buff. King Kong, Star Wars, etc. Damn you're a geek. :p

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

lol...well I guess it kind of worked out that way this year. I love sci-fi and action-adventure and am getting into anime and the foreign stuff more (thanks to some of my friends). But any geekiness that resides within me stops at attending a feature as Chewbacca or dressed in Hogwarts robes. And as for the Oscar contenders that I have seen, they were great, but just didn't quite capture me the way these did.

4. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

just got back from wolf creek......in short, don't waste your money.

5. Uprising

Uprising Member

Saw "Fun with Dick and Jane" last night. Wasn't all that great, but did have some funny moments in it. I give it a B.

My best movie of the year award either goes to KONG or SWIII.

6. Mr. Brightside

2005 sucked for movies.. 2004 was a great year. Cheers to 2006!

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I went and saw it tonight, I thought it was pretty good. A good amount of gore, I like gory movies.

8. Man

Man Member

I want to watch Jarhead..and maybe Rent.
    How were they?
    I agree with your rankings.
    I like Harry Potter, Star Wars, War of the worlds (besides ending)..
    and Fantastic Four was OK but worse than the other movies.

9. BigM

BigM Member

cinderella man was by far the best movie i saw this year.

10. Mr. Brightside

Actually the best films this year were documentaries. Grizzly Man and Murderball were great.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

I had the misfortune of watching Alone in the Dark....

Batman and Potter were probably the best action/adventure movies I still remember.

Those who haven't seen Walk the Line (Ray pt. 2) are missing something good.

12. 111chase111

111chase111 Member

I enjoyed:
    Batman Begins
    War of the Worlds
    Serenety
    Sin City
    Longest Yard
    Kingdom of Heaven

With regards to people ragging on the ending of War of the Worlds... that's the way it was supposed to end. It was kind of the whole point to the story and if you changed the ending to be more "exciting" it would no longer be H.G. Wells story.

I was dissapointed with:
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Movies that were okay:
    Star Wars
    Fantastic Four
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    The Island
    The Ring Two
    Constantine

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

This had to be the worst movie year of all time.

Seriously.

I thought Batman Begins and Star Wars III were good. Cinderella Man was good.

Harry Potter was okay but felt rushed. (granted there was a lot to cram in)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a big disappointment. It was okay but could have been so much better.

The best of the rest are lukewarm movies at best.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I just saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith the other day and thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever sat through. It was really bad. The cheese factor was extremely high with this one.

15. vwiggin

vwiggin Member

I thought Fever Pitch was an ok movie. Definitely not as good as About a Boy or High Fidelity, though.

16. tmcclain

tmcclain New Member

I enjoyed war of the worlds, but what cracks me up is that they make the Ray character such a hero for going through hell and highwater to get to Boston with his daughter and when they finally get there his 15 year old son has already made it all by himself.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I haven't seen as many movies this year, but off the top of my head, here are my favorites. The first one is by far the best one, IMO, but the rest are just random. I know I'm missing many.

Brokeback Mountain
    Sin City
    King Kong
    Harry Potter
    Constantine
    The 40-Year Old Virgin

There are still quite a few I want to see including Syriana, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Producers, Munich, Jarhead, A History of Violence, so on.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Hmn. Pretty decent lists. I haven't seen "Syriana" or "Munich" or "Brokeback Mountain" so I can't compile such a list as of yet.

As far as your 10-worst list, I'd also have "Fantastic Four," but I'd include a note: Not even Jessica Alba's ass in spandex could save this movie. (But it helped.)

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I will echo what many in here have said. Favorites were (in no particular order):

Batman Begins
    War of the Worlds
    Cinderella Man (easily my favorite)
    Serenity
    Unleashed (I saw this on DVD the other day...great, great movie. Poorly marketed)
    King Kong
    Sin City

Not real sure of a worst list. I didn't see many movies this year that I didn't like (which makes me wonder about how many people saying this was a terrible year for movies, I thought it was quite good). In fact, I think that list above pretty much comprises all the movies I've seen this year.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

My first thought was "Man...you go to a lot of movies". My second thought was "Man...you go to a lot of movies".