1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Wishes to Mike Miller

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dandorotik, May 26, 2011.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Always liked him as a player from his Magic and Grizzlies days. Wouldn't wish this on anyone-

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6588917

MIAMI -- Miami Heat guard Mike Miller traveled with the team to Chicago on Wednesday for Game 5 of their Eastern Conference final series against the Bulls as his newborn daughter, Jaelyn, remained in an intensive care unit at a South Florida hospital.

Miller said it was a tough decision to travel with the team and leave his daughter, who was born with an undisclosed health issue caused by complications from childbirth.

Jaelyn Miller has remained hospitalized since she was born last Thursday. Miller has gone back and forth from practices and games to the hospital to be with his wife, Jennifer, and their daughter. The couple also has two other young sons.

"It's tough, because I really haven't been away from (Jaelyn) since she was born," Miller said after Wednesday's practice at AmericanAirlines Arena. "It's a difficult time for me and my family. But we know she'll be OK."

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said he has offered Miller as much time away from the team as he needs to be with his family. Miller missed last Friday's practice but has since opted to split his time between his teammates and family.

"We're here to support him through this," Spoelstra said. "He knows we're his family, too."

Miller took part in Wednesday's light workout session after playing one of his best games of the season in Miami's 101-93 overtime victory against Chicago on Tuesday to take a 3-1 lead in the Eastern Conference finals.

The Heat can close out the series with a victory in Chicago on Thursday, and would advance to the NBA Finals for the first time since 2006.

Udonis Haslem, Miller's closest friend on the Heat and his former teammate with the Florida Gators, said he went through a similar situation when his son was born and needed to be in an ICU unit for several days earlier this season.

Haslem said Wednesday that Miller is handling things as well as can be expected.

"He's always been a family-oriented guy," Haslem said.

The situation also hit particularly close to home for center Zydrunas Ilgauskas. He and his wife were expecting twins in 2007, when complications arose and both babies were lost after being born four months premature.

"He has a lot on his mind," Ilgauskas said. "You just try to be a good friend right now. He's one of the toughest individuals I've ever been around. He's worked so hard, he's just a blue-collar guy who comes to play every day. But this, this is life."

Miller had 12 points and nine rebounds off the bench, making two huge 3-pointers to help the Heat hold off the Bulls. After the game, Miller said he went directly to the hospital and was awake until about 4 a.m. ET Wednesday.

"It hasn't been easy," said Miller, who has worn pink laces in his game shoes as a tribute to Jaelyn. "But we'll get through this."

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

man, that's tough. get well soon jaelyn.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

always liked mike miller, wished him and tmac could do well in orlando. it was a fun team to watch. he really hit his stride in memphis. hard to watch him miss all those shots right now in the playoffs.

5. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

I don't know, I like the guy too. It seems a little odd that this is happening towards the end of the playoffs. His daughter may not be going through so much and they are probably milking it, to get fans to be on Miami's side. Who better to get than the White Player that everyone loves, Mike Miller.

They got me, I feel kind of bad for the guy and like the whole "family" speech.

6. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

.... yeah, this should have happened months later. How dare they consummate 9 months before the NBA playoffs. Bad timing altogether.... :rolleyes:

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Mike Miller, and the Miami Heat are concerned with here.....to get YOU to sympathize with them. Not Mike's daughter. Not Mike's wife. Not Mike himself. YOU, Rock3t Man. And Mike Miller is the White Player everyone loves??? Seriously, sometimes it's better to just close the browser before hitting Submit.

[​IMG]

10. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

I dont think she can read or hear this^^^^ Lmao

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding, there is no way they could have timed this. I am not saying that this was all planned.

What I am saying though, is that he had a new born, and well that's it. I don't think it's that serious. I am not a father, so I can't relate. I am sure he is happy to have a daughter, and he is worried about her health. I just don't think it is necessary to talk about it to the media and I know ESPN is milking this to get a "story".

However, if this happened during the regular season, guaranteed this would not be on their site.

My opinion, hate it, I don't care.

2 people like this.
  14. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

If this happened during the regular season, Mike Miller would not have traveled with the team.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

His daughter is in the ICU. Aside from death, how can it NOT be serious? I think you should just slowly walk away from this thread before your apparent lack of common sense becomes synonymous with your username.

16. Asian Sensation

Wow...

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Congrats, this is one of the most idiotic things I have ever read.

Cynicism never ceases to amaze me.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's the INTENSIVE CARE UNIT. When a newborn goes into it, it's ALWAYS serious. I guarantee if this had been the regular season, he would have been by his wife and daughter's side 24/7 without traveling with the team. And ESPN is reporting it because it IS a story. The fact that this guy is willing to fly back and forth between practices and games shows his dedication to his teammates as well as his wife and children. This has nothing to do with your opinion..... it has everything to do with your lack of compassion.

[​IMG]

19. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. buffalobills!!!

lol what a post.......