1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Way to Upgrade Phone in Middle of Contract?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 6, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm wanting to get my wife a new phone for her b-day later this month, but her contract (with Verizon) doesn't run out until 2014.

We are both on the same plan and I want to keep it that way. Don't want to change providers because I get a nice corporate discount and it applies to her line too. Plus it's just easier being on the same plan. She can dip into my minutes if she goes over hers, etc.

Is my only option for a new phone paying full price?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Check for a midcontract extension, you might save a hundred or so, or check Craigslist/EBay. Many times people will win free phones through contests and sell them online.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I assume you started the plan at the same time? If not, I added my fiancee to mine about a year or so after I had already had mine and we have new phone upgrades about every year or so. We just transfer the upgrade to which ever one of us needs a new phone at the time.

If yall started at the same time then I would agree with CCorn. You will just have to look on ebay/craiglist/etc.

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Oh, good question. So if I were to get say and HTC One on Ebay, either unlocked or ready for AT&T could I just swap SIMs? Would data work as is? Currently have GS3.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No, we were both with Verizon and I combined our plans once we got married. My contract ends in August, hers in 2014. I love her, but I'm not transferring my upgrade date to hers. I want a new phone too. :)

I wonder if I could request another line and then use the phone that came with it for her? Is there any way to do that without her having to change phone numbers?

6. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

We did that in the past but now if you are on the "share everything" plan thing you are going to get charged a $40 per month "smartphone" charge on each line. Before these plans came out you could get away with just the $10 a month charge on the line you are not really using.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

pics, please. :eek: