1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Video Games You've Never Played

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Franchise3, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

During my time in undergrad, I barely played any video games other than beating GTA3, GTA: Vice City, and playing some Halo and Madden with my friends. As a result, there is roughly a five year period of games I missed out on. In the past few weeks, I have picked up for the first time God of War I, God of War II, and Resident Evil 4 (how great of a value is getting those three games for ~$50?!). After buying RE4 last night, I thought it would be interesting to start this thread.

So, what are some of the best games you've never played? Feel free to ask if certain games would be worth your time, or alternatively, rip on people for never having played certain games.

My list:
    • God of War II (actually just beat GoW last night).
    • Resident Evil 4 (which is kinda funny to me because I beat RE5 with a friend a few weekends ago).
    • Metal Gear Solid 3 (beat the first two in high school and beat MGS4 over the summer. I picked up the MGS: Essentials pack last year to play it, but didn't have the time before MGS4 came out. I plan on playing all the MGS games in order soon though).
    • San Andreas (I actually picked up GTA3 and Vice City in undergrad after getting so excited reading previews of San Andreas. I ended up beating both games, but have never gotten around to playing much San Andreas beyond the first city).
    • GTA4 (picked it up before going to study abroad, but haven't digged into it yet).
    • Final Fantasy 10 (I have beaten all previous FF games, but never had the time in college to start this one).
    • Final Fantasy 12 (see above).
    • Zelda: Ocarina of Time (never had an N64).
    • Goldeneye (played multiplayer a ton with friends, but never single player).
    • Zelda: A Link to the Past (high recommended by everyone, but I never had an SNES, so I've never played this one.
    • First Person Shooters: I have basically played none of the top games in this genre (take your pick: Half Life, Unreal, Gears of War, Call of Duty games, all the PS3 ones, all Halo single player modes, etc and so on. The last one I played was probably Duke Nukem 3D).
    After just beating God of War, I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it and likes action games. Awesome settings, interesting yet uncomplicated story, and probably the best gameplay of any action game I have ever played.

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I don't know if they were the best or not because I never played them.

3. southernjustice

southernjustice Contributing Member

I just started playing Oblivion on my 360 it received a lot of hype when it first came out far its a pretty cool game.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh man that game is dangerous. I put 300 hours into that thing, and I do not even play video games very much....My favorite game of all time.

Just started Fall Out 3 a couple weeks back, and that is just amazing too.
    Bethesda has the RPG down. I can't even play any other action/rpg games...

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would suggest you look at all those games except for GTAIV

6. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I need to play Fallout 3, Bioshock, Prince of Persia (new one), GTA4, Okami, and Super Mario World.

If you haven't played Psychonauts, get out and play that game. Yes, it's last-gen, but it is the funniest video game I have ever played. Tim Shaffer rules!

7. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

Games that I never played that I thought where good:

Zelda: just never saw it on sell and my mom wouldn’t buy it for me on my old NES.

Final Fantasy: never got around to buying it.

Metal Gear solid 3: I bought this game with GTA: S.A. and just never got to it, even after 2 PS2 later I still have not played it. Now I never will since my PS3 can’t play PS2 game and I’m not buying a ps2 again

House of the dead.

8. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

RE4
    zelda twilight princess
    rock band/guitar hero :D
    gears of war I and II and waiting for III

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I reiterate to anyone who has played God of War 1 & 2, but who hasn't played Devil May Cry 3: dear god, go buy DMC3. It's $10 new at Gamestop I believe. It has a lot more complexity & variety in the combat system and a MUCH higher, more satisfying level of difficulty than God of War. God of War is pretty, but I find it irritatingly easy and repetitive in comparison with DMC.

Also, any PS3 owner who hasn't played Uncharted or Valkyria Chronicles... I just pity you. Seriously. Don't let the best exclusives of this generation pass you by.

My own list:

Games I want to buy but haven't yet:
    Skate 2
    Far Cry 2
    Spiderman: Web of Shadows
    LittleBigPlanet
    All the Suikodens
    Deus Ex
    Bond 007: Everything or Nothing
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3
    Persona 4

Games I own but haven't played yet:
    Persona 3
    Devil May Cry 4
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
    Ninja Gaiden 2
    Armored Core: For Answer
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    Disgaea 3
    Tales of Symphonia
    Tales of Vesperia
    Mass Effect
    Bully: Scholarship Edition
    Eternal Sonata
    Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door
    Super Paper Mario
    Super Mario Galaxy
    No More Heroes
    Resident Evil 4
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Resident Evil (Gamecube Remake)
    ICO
    Simpsons Hit & Run
    The Warriors
    Gladius
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    Silent Hill 2
    Rogue Galaxy
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
    Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
    Metal Gear Solid 3

...god, that's just embarrassing. Half my games just sit on my shelf looking pretty. This list doesn't even count games like MGS4 that I've played for all of a half-hour.

Almost all of those I managed to get for well under $40. I rarely buy games new anymore. It takes something like Tekken 6 or the latest NBA 2K to make me buy new.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

You never know. Sony might enable PS2 playback via software emulation...right after they put MGS, RE, FF7, Xenogears, etc., on the US PlayStation Store (i.e., never).

As for my list (probably missing a lot, but oh well):

Zelda (anything past LttP) - I remember playing LttP on the SNES and enjoying it (although not quite as much as FF and some other games). Wanted to play the N64 versions, but didn't own one.

Panzer Dragoon - Played one of them on the Sega Saturn, although I can't remember which (I really enjoyed it though). Would have liked to have played Saga or Orta.

Shenmue - Lots of hype, and it did seem interesting to me.

Okami - Supposedly similar to Zelda in some ways...except seemingly more awesome in some ways.

Shadow of the Colossus/ICO - I actually own Ico, but I've never gotten further than maybe 30 minutes or so. I'm really ashamed of myself because of this. :(

Baldur's Gate - Never got around to checking these games out. Sound great.

Fable - I remember being interested in the game back when it was called Project EGO IIRC. For whatever reason, I never got around to checking it out.

Fallout (1-3) - Actually played a bit of Fallout 1 or 2 (can't remember), which I enjoyed. I love Bethesda games, but I haven't had a chance to give Fallout 3 a try.

Crysis - :(

Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry - Wanted to get more into action games after playing GoW. Didn't like the demo of NGΣ as much as I expected, although I think I'd like to get around to playing more of these at some point. Especially DMC...which, if nothing else, seems like it can be ridiculous enough to be entertaining.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - Played some of the games, but not enough. Need to give the newer ones a shot.

FEAR/Stalker - Don't know why I lumped these together, but they seem like nice PC FPS games that I'd probably like.

Digital Devil Saga 2 - Still going through DDS1. Plus, I can't find a cheap copy...might fork over the money at some point though, unless we get a reprint.

MLB 09 The Show - Played the last two versions, but haven't gotten around to checking this one out yet.

Tales of ___ - Didn't really play any of these except for maybe ToD (or maybe ToD 2, can't remember). Kind of busy with other RPGs, but I'd like to check out the series again. Probably Vesperia or Symphonia (or both).

Pyschonauts - See ScriboErgoSum's post. :(

The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery - Loved the first game, but never checked out the other two. This game was supposed to be pretty good I think. Also some other adventure games I missed out on.

There are also a bunch of other PC games that look nice, but I never check out. Some of the space exploration games look really interesting. I saw a game called Black Prophecy which looks incredible (although I think it is a MMO...or MMO-esque).

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

For me:

Shadow of the Colossus : it seems to get almost universal praise, so I should probly try it, but nothing about it has ever really called to me. And I didn't particularly care for Ico all that much.

MGS3 : I own subsistence, but haven't played it because my PS2 used to have problems playing it. Don't know if that's still the case, as all my other games work fine now.

Metroid Prime 2: the only GC game in my collection that I haven't beaten. I'll get around to it sometime.

God of War: Never tried. Action games aren't really my thing though.

That's pretty much the meat of last gen stuff that I want to play. There might be some other PS2 stuff I'm leaving out, but it'd be niche stuff.

Like DrexlerFan22, I have a pretty big backlog right now. I had one for the PS2, but I played through most of it while waiting to get a next gen system. Now that I have one, I've scooped up a bunch of games on the cheap(under $15 in most cases) that I have yet to get to

- Tales of Vesperia
    - Mass Effect
    - Oblivion
    - Lost Odyssey
    - Bioshock

And I plan to get

- Fallout 3
    - Street Fighter 4
    - Resident Evil 5
    - Gears of War

Sometime on the cheap. Can't wait for school to get out so I'll have more free time to enjoy my collection.

12. Drexlerfan22

God I would've loved to play Saga. Shame it costs $200-$300 for a copy, assuming you can even find one.

I love what I've played of Orta so far. I was ECSTATIC when they added it to the 360's compatibility list.

Interesting, maybe. Good, no.

Since everything happened in quasi-real time (probably sped up maybe 15x if I remember right), that means you got to spend most of your game waiting around for events that only happened at specific times in the game. There was no auto-wait option, IIRC. And the fighting might've been cool, 'cept the problem is there's barely any fighting in it at all. They let you spend lots of time training (literally doing stuff like kicking the air over and over to get experience up), but the idea was that most of the fighting would be in the next game... and then of course, the Dreamcast died. Ugh. Waste of time.

:eek:

I don't know whether to pity you for being deprived or smash you in the face with a piece of heavy mining equipment for such blasphemy. This is one of the single greatest games ever, period. Not open to discussion. Play immediately! :D

This is a half-step down from Okami in my view. Play it as soon as you're done with Okami. ;)

Fallout 3 is, to me, absolutely one of the best games of this generation, along with Burnout Paradise, Valkyria Chronicles, and Uncharted. It's Oblivion but better, really.

As far as DMC... I haven't played 4 yet, so I can't really speak to it, but peeps who've played 4 say 3 is still the best. I'd say either play 1 then 3, or skip straight to 3.

It's ridiculous in an awesome sorta way. :D

I've never played any pre-PS2 versions, but I'll definitely say that newer does not necessarily mean better with these games. They make some very fundamental changes that really shift the focus of the gameplay across the versions, so you have to find one that suits you.

The biggest thing they shift around is how much focus there is on high-level strategy vs. more tactical thinking, ridiculously complex webs of relationships, and micromanagement. IIRC, 8 is one of the more nitty-gritty, micromanaging versions, with the largest number of relationships/roles, which I love. 9 pulls away from that by only letting you play the ruler, and 11 gives you direct control over everyone in a force, both of which make you focus on strategy rather than relationships. 7 and 10 are somewhere in between, but they're a lot closer to an 8 type of game than they are to 9 & 11.

#12 Drexlerfan22, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  13. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I'll have to check DMC out sometime. I actually saw a 3-pack of the first 3 games on sale at gamestop the other day on sale. I considered picking it up, but I decided I wanted to do a little research first to see if the first two are too dated gameplay-wise to play or not.

I admit, apart from the gameplay, a lot of my love for the first GoW came from the atmosphere and mythology. Some the the scenery in that game was really nice looking to me. I didn't think it was particularly easy or hard, kinda middle of the road...though I guess I could lean toward the easy side because I was amazed at how often they gave you treasure chests with health/magic in them. Half the time I didn't need them because my bars were already full. Did you try playing the game in Spartan or God mode? I also thought the "Treasures" they give you at the end of the game were a really cool addition; seeing the behind-the-scenes videos and deleted levels/characters was really neat. I wish more games would do something like that.

I'm going to have to look into Valkyria Chronicles too after hearing your praise of it. I also forgot to list Fallout 3 in my initial list. I got really hyped reading previews for that game, but for some reason my interest started to wane the closer it got to release.

14. Drexlerfan22

Ignore #2. It wasn't considered good even when it was new.

#1 is still a very, very good game... all the critics generally gave it north of 9/10 when it came out... it's just not quite 3.

Everything is done right in 3. Gamespot gives it a really, really excellent/informative review here, if you want to read more about it. It's by one of their former best writers/reviewers (Greg Kasavin), before they all left after Jeff Gerstmann-gate.

One thing to keep in mind: the review continually references how absurdly hard this game is. This is true. However, the Special Edition ramps down the difficulty a notch if you want something you can get through a bit easier.

If you don't want to read the whole review, here are the most important parts:

"Devil May Cry 3 packs in a deep, outstanding combat system, plenty of spectacular story sequences, and lots of flair. Unfortunately, it's unbelievably, unreasonably difficult at first. Think of the most punishing game you played in the last several years. Now, imagine the second or third level of this game being even harder than that. Overcoming Devil May Cry 3's near-vertical learning curve could prove extremely frustrating, to the point where some players will justifiably give up after repeatedly failing the first few missions. That's really too bad, because anyone who perseveres long enough to learn the ropes will probably agree that Devil May Cry 3 is one of the best PlayStation 2 action adventure games since the original. "

"If Devil May Cry 3 is such a chore to learn, then it had better make the effort worthwhile. The good news is, it does. Eventually, there comes a time when everything just clicks. Suddenly, you get it. You go back and retry those first few levels, even at higher difficulty modes, and you wonder how they ever gave you so much trouble. After all, by then you'll have noticed that all your foes, no matter how big or how powerful, never attack entirely without warning, giving you the split second you need to get out of the way...or strike first. You'll also understand Dante's tremendous potential for causing mass destruction using his ranged and melee weapons in combination. Using his fast, deadly slashes and his unlimited ammo, Dante can make fast work out of throngs of foes, who'll often keep spawning in to attack him from thin air.
    One of the game's excellent touches is that Dante can instantly switch between two different ranged weapons and two different melee weapons at the touch of a button (respectively, L2 and R2). This doesn't seem like such a big deal right off the bat, but you'll soon learn to constantly switch up weapons as you fight, facilitating completely off-the-wall combos that are limited mostly just by your imagination. There aren't a huge number of moves or weapons to choose from in the game, but most of them are useful and interesting, and the variety is very satisfying overall, especially since most of the weapons are uniquely effective both on their own and in combination with any of the others.
    Ultimately, what's so great about the combat system is that it's all extremely fluid, responsive, and precise. For example, your initial tendency to hammer on the attack buttons will eventually give way to much more-deliberate actions as you figure out that the game gives you different combo options if you slightly mix up the timing of your button presses. Also, much like you're pretty much always vulnerable to getting mobbed by your enemies, so too are you able to fight dirty. A hard slash (or, say, a shotgun blast) can send a foe sprawling to the turf. Why wait for it to clamber back to its feet when you can just keep whaling away while it's lying there? Or, better yet, why not jump on its back and ride it like a skateboard, spraying bullets every which way before smashing your new ride into that wall over there? And, of course, you've got air-to-air, air-to-ground, and ground-to-air combat to think about. Smash an enemy up in to the sky, and pin it to the ceiling with a hail of gunfire, or jump up after it to continue your assault, and then spray bullets downward to slow your descent."

I do honestly feel kinda bad that I seem to keep bashing God of War. It is a great game, and I agree with you on the atmosphere. It's just that after DMC3, with its punishing difficulty (see above) and amazing variety of useful moves and tactics, it's like the volume is turned down on every other hack-and-slash game. God of War never was and never will be a bad game; it is a great game in fact. It's just that, if you've played DMC3, all playing God of War will do for you is make you wonder why you aren't playing DMC3 instead.

Oh yeah, VC is 100% a must-play.

And Fallout 3, again, really is like a more refined Oblivion, and in a setting which fits the gameplay style much better. And Oblivion was already stellar.

15. TheTrendSetter

As a major Game Geek, looking at some of the lists my recommendations will be to play any of the Zelda or Metal Gear games. They are in a league of their own. Zelda Ocarina IMO best game ever, Zelda Twilight follows right behind it, and Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best in its series. Play them and you'll see what you have been missing.

16. RC Cola

True. I think I just played a bit of two of the games (I think I rented 6 and 7?), but I'd like to play some more of those games, or some of the newer ones, assuming I find them to be better.

Same here. While I find the gameplay satisfying, I realize it probably isn't on par with other games (I actually liked the HS mechanics a little better, at least in some aspects). But I love all the other parts of the game, as you mentioned.

Has anyone actually played the PC version of Fallout 3, and kept up with the mods? Part of the reason why I didn't pickup Fallout 3 right away is because I wanted to wait for some mods to be created. Just glanced at some online, and there seem to be some nice ones (at least for improving the graphics). I love Bethesda's games, but I can't really play them without some good mods first. OK, maybe I could, but why would I want to? ;)

1 person likes this.
  17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Can someone tell me about Oblivion? What makes it so good? What version is best- PC, 360, PS3, etc?

18. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I was thinking about some other games that have been mentioned on this board, and I probably need to add Dead Space, Persona 4, and Little Big Planet to my queue.

I think Shadow of the Colossus is overrated. I had expectations when I picked it up, but the fights aren't that hard. And that's all the game is. I was expecting something much more epic in scale. You can probably pick it up super-cheap these days, but I felt ripped off that I spent $50 on it.

#18 ScriboErgoSum, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  19. RC Cola

Somewhat like the GTA of RPGs. Big huge world, and you can do pretty much whatever you want. Take on quests, complete them for rewards, advance in guilds. Multiple classes (warrior, thief, mage, etc.), although you can probably do well in all categories after putting some time into the game. Really easy to get sucked into the world and put in 100+ hours into the game (if not much, MUCH more). Story is OK, but nothing fantastic. It does have Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean though.

PC would probably be the way to go. Mods can make a great game even that much better. Improved graphics (by quite a bit), improved performance, gameplay tweaks, more quests, patches (Bethesda games are really buggy), etc.

20. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I've never played the game, but reading reviews I always got the impression that the game was almost more like a long demo than a full game. Wander around an open area and kill 16 enemies? No other characters, no towns, no dungeons? It always sounded like the perfect game to take out on a rental, but not to buy. I'm not saying it seems like a bad game, just that it never struck me as being a "complete" game.