1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best tablet for work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glynch, Dec 4, 2012.

1. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

If you are happy with the small screen than a Surface might work for you.

That said, the Surface has an HDMI out (cable sold separately) to hook up to a full size monitor.

But to answer your question more directly, the Surface's power, IMO, is that it's the only device fully integrated into the Microsoft "ecosystem". If that is important to you then +1.

You need to understand what you will be using it for. If your university requires you to install any software, then the Pro is prob your only option. But if you primarily only log into website at your school, then the Surface RT MIGHT be great ...and in fact will be better than most other tablets for web because the keyboard is so strong you don't need an "app". For example, a Facebook app isn't necessary on the Surface because the web browser is fully functional (given the keyboard, built-in mouse and touch screen) and you can pin Facebook right to your start screen just like an app anyway.

One big caveat is Flash. If your school website(s) requires Flash or other non-HTML5 controls then the RT might give you some trouble (but it can sometimes be overcome). For example, the other day I was curious about chatroulette and it does NOT work on the RT. That site is a pure Flash 11 site and doesn't work and Adobe's last mobile Flash release was v10 a couple years ago. Flash has been dying for the past 2 years now and in another year may be fully defunct ...but for now, there are still many Flash sites out there. On the Pro, this won't be a problem because it will take the full desktop version of Flash (until Adobe stops making that too).

All that said, if you also want to do things personally like photoshop, quicken, etc then RT won't work for you as the primary device.

Will Surface RT work for you? Maybe. Figure out exactly what you require and your nice-to-haves. Once you've done that, buy a Surface from the Microsoft store and test it for 14 days (their return policy) and see how it works.

You might like the RT better than the Pro. As a student, that is a distinct possibility.

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

If wanting it for work purposes, 365 would be a good service. And having it would also help with any file transferring issues anyway.

Honestly, though, MS is probably going to be pushing a lot of 365/subscription/cloud based services, even with their full blown desktop Office software, so it might be worth it to start utilizing them.

Once office is in place and with cloud storage, RT/Android/iOS can offer similar productivity solutions. None of them will have the kind of options the Pro has.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

RT/Android/iOS are excellent supplementary devices. As a secondary device, which one works for you depends on which eco-system you are already in. If you are an Apple person, stick with that. If you are a Windows person, you'll probably be happier with a Surface over an iPad.

Regarding Pro, it would be good if you are buying it as a primary device. I am not interested in the Pro as a secondary device because of boot time, battery life, ect. The importance of a secondary device is to fill in the blanks ...not to do all things.

For example, my company is considering buying Pro's to REPLACE their laptops for certain employees ...not to supplement their existing laptop. Nobody ever suggested an RT would be marketed as a laptop replacement.

That said, I am finding that for some consumers an RT MIGHT replace a laptop. Nerds and PowerUsers would never like an RT as a primary device. I am a 20 year IT professional ...and I am loving my RT ...as my secondary device.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

I'd be remiss if I didn't put in a plug for my product, the HP ENVY x2. I'm using one as my everyday laptop now, and I love it. (Okay, it's my baby, so I might be a little biased. :) )

Hybrids are THE FUTURE, man! The FUTURE!

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Surface Pro will have a 4 hour battery life.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

Exactly.

4 hrs doesn't get you through one day at the office much less on that flight home. RT does ...assuming you don't need x86 apps while on the go.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There are plugs at the office and on airplanes.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

The whole point of a portable device is ...never mind.