1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best shooting guards not named Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sleepy Flloyd, Dec 13, 2012.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

He seems to fit that mold, but didn't Eric Snow play point guard when he was in Philly?

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Did you watch him play ?? For most of his career he played with another pass first PG. So, he's similar to Westbrook and Rose if Maynor and CJ Watson started next to them.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yes he did

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damn you sound like a TOF every day! i think you are one

the topic is best shooting guard not named Jordan and Bryant.

Both of these guys have regularly advanced through the playoffs and played 82 game seasons.

we're not even talking about championships.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm shocked that it took this long for him to get a mention. Dude was a beast who was unfortunate enough to play at the same time as MJ and Clyde.

Reggie Miller is overrated as $%^. I'm not even sold that he was the best shooting guard named Reggie in the Eastern Conference during the 90s.

6. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Brian Cook

1 person likes this.
  7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Mitch Richmond was the very definition of a player putting up empty stats on bad teams.

Nothing that could be said about Mitch Richmond couldn't also be said about a guy like Glen Rice, and it doesn't make Rice a world beater, either.

8. likestohypeguy

He has an app that rings his phone & wakes him up anytime someone types "Tracy McGrady" or "T-Mac" on the internet.

If nothing else, you have to respect his conviction. I just want to know how far D. Morey's stock has fallen in Tinman's eyes, after he said prime T-Mac > Kobe, assuming that's true (read it in someones sig around here)!

9. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Uh oh, here we go.....

The Answer always had a "true" point guard playing next to him, even tho he brought da ball up court alot

10. Nook

Nook Member

Talent wise he is probably in the top 2... he was simply an amazing talent, very few players can touch his size, speed, court vision, length and body control.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

George Gervin? Didn't win any rings, but his list of accomplishments is impressive. He didn't even play in the NBA his entire career, yet he was a 9 time all-star and a 4 time scoring champion.

12. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

What gap does ya have between kobe and west?

I understand west is da LOGO, but for me i think its a huuuugggeee gap between him an kobe, i think da same reason ppl say wilt is overrated (different era, white guys), west is also regarded much higher than he sould be, kobe playin in west era would average 40 pts a game

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Morey was doing a little Tmac impersonation when said that, he was bullshting

Like when Morey and Rick got sick of his act and dumped him and his $20+ salary to the Knicks.

And Knicks didn't really want him (only TOFs believe that they did), they used his salary for a dump so they could get some cap space for the lebron sweepstakes

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't know dude. the old school had it much worse than the new school.
    remember Oscar Robertson, Wilt, and the legends had to play under lots of racism . Lots of greats didn't get a chance to play cause of race. Fundamentals were better than. I'm sure West could out shoot anyone in league now.

Always the old school. Not only in rap, but in sports.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Accomplishment wise and work ethic wise he should be in the Hall of Shame.

16. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Sleepy Flloyd approves this post.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i stopped reading about the middle of page 3 just to point out that dwade is being almost criminally underrated in this thread. people are putting drexler above him and i've even seen ridiculous stuff like AI above him and being lumped with dumars or reggie miller. it's one thing to underrate older players (west has been less underrated in this thread than i would have suspected) but a current player than you've been watching the last 10 years?

the guy has a championship that he won with spectacular ECF and Finals performances. he's been a very good playoff performer. and his stats significanly surpass some of the other players.

peak clyde better than wade? wade has 6 seasons of 25.6+ PER (including one of the few 30+ PER seasons ever). clyde has never gone above 24.1. even west never went above 25. wade won a dominating title. clyde was on some pretty loaded teams but didn't win a title. there's really not much argument for clyde over wade unless you just want to go with longevity and even then wade is already in season 10 so it's not like he was a flash in the pan. and where clyde fell off a bit in the playoffs (compared to other greats), wade has been above average.

only mj, kobe, and west have any real business being ranked above wade and even then the best 5 or so seasons of wade are better than kobe and west.

18. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

reggie miller and ray allen aren't getting enough love.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

A crapton of people are arguing that they're above Wade. They're getting enough love.

Wade is at least a top 40, arguably a top 30 player ever. People are forgetting HOW good he was because of Lebron.

20. whozee

whozee Member

Aren't we on a Rockets forum....