1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best shooting guards not named Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sleepy Flloyd, Dec 13, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Absolutely no question at all about that. The only people that would argue that point are people that did not watch Clyde play.

2. Asian Sensation

My top 5

1) Jordan
    2) Kobe
    3) Drexler
    4) Wade
    5) Iverson

I grew up in the Jordan era so I never got to see Jerry West play so I didn't put him in my list. I think Drexler is a solid #3 for me but I'm partial to him because he's my favorite player all time. There really wasn't anything that Drexler couldn't do. I just wish he had some more mental toughness and selfishness to his game. He lacked that killer instinct that Jordan and Kobe had/have. With that said the Drexler from the mid-late 80's to the early 90's was an absolute beast that always led the Blazers to one of the top records in the league and he carried his team to the finals twice during that span. I'd take Drexler's best over Wade's anyday.

1 person likes this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Drexler averaged 18.5 pts 5 rebounds and 5.5 assists in his 17th season playing with 2 other hall of famers. Drexler was a stud. He also never warmed up or stretched.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

To me, for someone to make one of these "best of" lists, they've got to have played the whole game. Reggie did one thing, shoot, as well as anyone who ever played. But nobody's calling Dennis Rodman the best PF of all time because he could rebound.

Give me a guy like Drexler who could rebound, pass, score, draw fouls, defend, post up, shoot 3s, run the break, etc. Wade was in that category back in the day. Dumars played both ends of the floor and won a Finals MVP. Reggie, for all the clutch-ness, took his team to 1 NBA Finals and lost, despite playing with an All-Star center, a very good tandem of PFs, and the #3 all-time assist guy.

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I don't disagree completely with your position in general, but I do think Rodman is definitely in the top ten PFs of all time, despite his offensive shortcomings.

6. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Style doesnt get you on this list. He was eletrifying though, but just became a sportscenter highligh, and oh btw they lost the game

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Drexler is definitely top 3 and I'm not so sure I wouldn't put him at number 2. If you're building a team and don't have a Zenmaster as coach, it would be easier to build a winner with Clyde. Plus, Clyde was stronger than Kobe and bests him in most major categories (RBs, Steals, Blocks, Assists, FG%). Likewise, West has more assists and RBs than Kobe as well as a higher scoring average.

Looking at the impacts on their different eras, I think a really good argument could be made for putting West ahead of Kobe. Regardless, the differences between these three are minuscule and any pick of one over the others is likely to be as much about personal tastes as basketball.

Rounding out the Top Ten, whoever said Mitch Richmond knows basketball. There's also Earl Monroe, Dumars, Miller, Wade, Gervin, and Dumars.

(I put Oscar and Iverson as PGs and everyone else as forwards... Bernard King was in no way a SG.)

Anyway, if I had to, I would rank them this way:

MJ
    Drexler
    Kobe
    West
    Gervin
    Wade
    Richmond
    Miller
    Monroe
    Dumars

8. rimrocker

Really? I don't even think he is Top 14. I could see an argument for 15, but only if Nate Thurmond is consigned to the center position. If you think he's in the Top Ten, which 5 are you bumping? And if he is definitely in the Top Ten does that make him 4th or 6th or what?

Tim Duncan
    Karl Malone
    Charles Barkley
    Kevin McHale
    Elvin Hayes
    Kevin Garnett
    Bob Pettit
    Dave Debusschere
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Jerry Lucas
    Connie Hawkins
    Shawn Kemp
    Dolph Schayes
    Chris Webber

Hell, I'd rather have Thorpe or Willis or Chambers or Love on my team than Rodman.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think many people put AI as a point guard because of his size.

I say it's

MJ
    -
    Kobe
    West
    -
    -
    AI
    -
    Drexler
    Dumars
    Wade

10. rimrocker

And the fact that he was the primary ball handler.

1 person likes this.
  11. da_juice

da_juice Member

AI's one of those players that doesn't have a traditional position. I'm on the fence as to whether he's a point guard or shooting guard.

12. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Iverson averaged 44 minutes a game in 01-02 :eek:

Thats tough!

Whats even crazier is kobe came in the league at the same time as iverson and kobe is still tearin it up while allll his contemporaries is long gone. This can only mean one thing........

Kobe is a vampire.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

AI always played with a traditional PG who got more assists than he did. So, AI was the SG. Besides, just because you are the primary ball-handler does not mean you aren't a SG ... see Harden and Wade (before Lebron). We could say Kobe and MJ were primary ball-handlers, too.

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

How about this guy???

[​IMG]

15. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

I hate when people talk about tmacs heart. Yes, he could have been more motivated in terms of working on his skill. He also, gave up near the end of his rockets tenure.

But he had heart. Dude took injections during playoffs for years when yao was down to try to keep histeam going.

end rant.

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

You guys really think Reggie Miller is better than Dwyane Wade? Is Reggie Miller even better than Ray Allen? We all know Allen as a spot up shooter now, but when he was younger he scored well over 20ppg and was actually pretty athletic.

Dwyane Wade is a great player. Don't let the fact he formed a gay Big 3 turn that away.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Mitch Richmond was an effin' STUD SG!

Great choice.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Drexler & Mitch Richmond are both underrated.

19. Genuine

Genuine Member

I agree with this

20. Genuine

Genuine Member

If anyone trys to sit here and say AI was a pg, you're crazy.