1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best shooting guards not named Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sleepy Flloyd, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Cant believe I forgot about clyde :p

Hell yea, drexlers blazer years under adelman was fenominal, They didnt call him da GLYDE for nothin!

Remember da Phi Slamma Jamma days when he played next to dream and benny anders and larry michaux?? What a team that was, it was awesome watchin them live, them was the days

2. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

After Jordan and Kobe, Drexler, West and Miller should round out the top 5 (not necessarily in that order) with Wade knocking on the door and waiting to see how these next 5 years will treat him.

I want to give a little love to guys like Alex English, Bernard King, and Adrian Dantley. While they may have been considered SF's back in the day, there size and scoring ability would lend them closer to today's shooting guards. These guys could score like no other and did so for a extended period of time.

Also guys like VC, and Iverson and Pierce (depending on how you define them) should be considered top SG's.

3. WEHTT90s

WEHTT90s Member

My top 5 are Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson (many don't consider Oscar a SG) Jerry West, Kobe Bryant and Clyde Drexler.

Pete Maravich just missed out. It's too early to say about Wade. Prior to the previous 2 seasons, there were some years he was better than Kobe. Wade deserved more MVP consideration in 08-09. He's been slowing down the past 2 seasons. I'm a huge Reggie Miller fan, his 98 series against the Bulls is one of my favorites. I can't put him in the top 5.

4. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

If yall remember wades performance in 06 finals, damn. Cant really downplay what he did. In his defense, he has somethin drexler maravich and gervin dont got, a Finals MVP

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

My personal Top 5:
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Reggie Miller
    4. Jerry West
    5. Clyde Drexler

I think Ray Allen and Adrian Dantley are honorable mentions.

6. FearTheBeardJH

Why are you overrating Reggie Miller so much? Joe Dumars was better player than him.

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Ray Allen deserves a mention.

8. Prince

Prince Member

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Adrian Dantley? wtf? Two people here called Dantley a SG. The Dish never ceases to amaze me. Did you guys watch him play? He is Barkley with no athleticism and rebounding. The dude was a low post scorer.

Holy cow...did y'all do a search on B-R by height or something? Dantley a SG. bwwaahahahahhaha

---------------------------------------------------------
    My list

After MJ and Kobe, my next tier is (in no particular order):

AI (why is this thread underrating him so much?)
    West
    Dumars
    Drexler
    Wade

1 person likes this.
  10. arjun

arjun Member

lol i think people saw his 6'5" height and called him a sg lol!

11. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Reggie Miller didn't have the all around game like Wade or Drexler but he was one of the few guys that if your team was up by 8 or 9 with under three minutes left you still weren't comfortable. Reggie was about to put up a flurry of shots and more often than not, they went in. Hand in his face, with everyone on the defense keying in on him, off balance, fading away from the basket it went in. Jordan and Kobe are the only other two guys that I've ever seen that were that clutch.

12. arjun

arjun Member

I think George Gervin can be in the conversation of top 7...

my list:

1. jordan
    2. kobe
    3. west
    4. wade
    5. drexler
    6. AI
    7. miller
    8. gervin

13. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I am gonna say mitch richmond. then again, i am biased

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

You're right.
    My mistake.

15. underrated015

underrated015 Member

i dunno, think prime clyde is better than wade.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Agree with Drexler being a top 4 to 7 all time SG. For those who were old enough to remember, Dominique Wilkins was pretty good too.

17. arjun

arjun Member

tmac should be in the conversation between 6-12

18. jman7373

jman7373 Member

James Harden

19. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are really underrating Wade. Look, I love Clyde as much as the next guy, but Wade was unreal in the 2006 finals (and has been elite for quite some time).

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...formances-1/greatest-finals-performances-no-1

Yeah, yeah, Hollinger, but the dude did have an epic performance (I remember that series more than most finals because of his performance).

I really think Jordan, Kobe, and West are very clearly the top 3 (I think this is pretty much non-debate-able.) Wade seems to be relatively clearly number 4 to me, followed by Iverson, Drexler, Sam Jones, Hal Greer. Then there's a pretty large gap, and you can start talking about Ray Allen and Reggie Miller, etc.

20. likestohypeguy

D-Wade is closest to jordan, he just didn't sustain it as long after refs suddenly started making his go-to move illegal.

But prior to that wade had the unique ability to jump into a defender's body in such a way that it always resulted FG's and/or FT's, & there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. He was too just quick to dodge, too strong wrap up, & NEVER afraid of contact. It was imo the hardest move to defend in history, after kareem's sky hook. But among guards only, & just in terms of their PEAKS, he was right up there with MJ imo.