1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Shooter of All Time?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by FoOLiSh_AzN, Mar 9, 2010.

1. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Yeah exactly, and along the same lines perhaps 3pt% needs more weight in an all-encompassing formula than a 2pter or FT.

Going further, perhaps there should be weightage considering whether the shooter was spotting-up or running around a pick etc. since difficulty levels are certainly different...

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

1. Reggie Miller
    2. Larry Bird
    3. Ray Allen

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Hard to vote on players I never saw play. I'm not a fan of statistics for this one as it can not take in to account contested/uncontested shots. That said, Nash is one hell of a shooter, but I think he takes more shots in close than is realized. How sweet a little floater and mid-range game though. My vote probably goes to Reggie Miller even if I couldn't stand the guy. Ray Allen very close second.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

No votes for A.D. - Adrian Dantley, Chris Mullin, or Jerry West. I'll even add Kobe to the list, he hits some pretty difficult shots that some of the other players on the list couldn't (especially being double teamed)

As far as big men go, you can't go wrong with Nowitzki, Ewing, Cowens, Smits, or Dream (late in his career).

5. towW

towW Member

Miller Time

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

1. Brian Cook
    2. Larry Bird
    3. Reggie Miller

Also worth mentioning: Ray Allen, Peja Sto-something

7. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

Reggie was one of the few that popped into my head, and also Bird and Ray Allen

I was right about Reggie, hes by far the best shooter IMO Bird a close 2nd tho theyre all great its tuf to pinpoint 1 of all time.. Id put my money on Reggie

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I would have to go with Reggie Miller!

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember when Dana dropped 50 on the Rockets. It was during one of the championship years.

This is kind of a hokey stat he came up with. I mean really, which shooter would the Rockets of yesteryear be more scared to face :

Steve Kerr or Dale Ellis?

If you were picking a team, which of those two would you rather have at their peaks?

10. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Why do we rave about Ray Allen when his FG% is so low? I mean, he's nowhere near Miller and Bird, IMHO.

11. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Any way you slice it, shooting 50-40-90 is pretty frikkin impressive. Props to Nash and Price.

*Am I the only one who immediately thinks of Kanye West whenever confronted with the phrase "....of All Time"

12. Asian Sensation

That's what I'm saying. He's nowhere near Bird and Miller's level but I think it has a lot to do with his previous reputation. Also he's got the prettiest jumper so that helps as well.

13. University Blue

What about prettiest shooting form of all time? World B. Free, Alex English, Allan Houston, and Kevin Martin.

14. nebula955

nebula955 Member

When you're taking the # of 3s he's taking, your fg% isn't usually very high.

15. SuraGotMadHops

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Man, Dale Ellis gave me nightmares. That guy played us like someone talked bad about his momma, unbelievable.

Overall I'd have to go with Bird and Reggie, the two most cold blooded shooters I ever saw.

17. jason3333

jason3333 Member

in my unbiased opinion its either calvin murphy, world b free, or purvis short. i almost put buck johnson in there but that would be the homer in me.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think this probably gives a better indication of best uncontested shooters. As far as getting his shot off under pressure, there's no question that Ellis was better than Kerr.